classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Intake Manifold and Fuel line Questions

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, I'm trying to get my truck back up and running after an intake manifold leak. Thought also that I'd address some other things that needed attention too. First pictures shows my intake.  I cannot find a nomenclature for the cover circled in red. I need a gasket for this?

Also rebuilt the carb and added a banjo style fuel line to it. See photo. Of course it is in direct line with the heater hose port so I will have to redirect and modify the fuel line. I have one of those clear glass filters that I will be putting in line with rubber fuel hose on both ends of the filter. One end to attach to the banjo fitting coming from the carb and the other to my factory hardline. I need a barbed compression type fitting for the hard line and struggle to find a kit for this locally. Is this something one piece mills together with brass fittings or what? I really don't want to half "A" this. Also, I assumed that most fuel line was 3/8". I measured my hardline and it is 5/16" outside diameter. I'm assuming but in this will I need a 5/16 compression style fitting?  

Thanks!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Intake Manifold and Fuel line Questions

old55pete
That plate looks like it is just a block off plate. In it's original function there were tubes that came from there to heat the choke so it would open as the engine warmed up. It is right above the EGR crossover port in the head. I am pretty sure that the bottom is closed off so only heat rises and not exhaust. I wouldent worry about a gasket.

That fuel line should be only 5/16. If you have a flair tool, just put a flair on the end of it and it will work like a barb.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I am going to back peddle on the block off plate, I blew up the picture of your manifold and got the model number from that. I looked that manifold on Edelbrocks web site and saw that that port is open on the bottom. You might want to put a gasket on that to stop an exhaust leak.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is the blanking plate for the choke hot air tubes. If you have intake gaskets that close off the heat riser then it ill not need a gasket, if they are not closed then you will need a gasket under it.

Looks nice!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Don't forget a pressure regulator for that Edelbrock carb. You will need it (don't ask how I know) I have a set-up similar to yours and I will try to get a picture tomorrow of the setup from regulator to carb.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You need a choke stove gasket.

I'm using a 8mm (5/16") fuel filter with a right angle outlet to feed my Edelbrock intake/carb combo.

Application is 2000's Nissan Altima.
I'll get a picture in daylight.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
That plate looks like it is just a block off plate. In it's original function there were tubes that came from there to heat the choke so it would open as the engine warmed up. It is right above the EGR crossover port in the head. I am pretty sure that the bottom is closed off so only heat rises and not exhaust. I wouldent worry about a gasket.

That fuel line should be only 5/16. If you have a flair tool, just put a flair on the end of it and it will work like a barb.
On my 1984 302, that hole in the intake was for a vacuum operated valve that opened/closed the exhaust crossover in the intake. It was not attached to the choke on my truck. Maybe the 351 had a different set-up? I'm just throwing it out there. That was my stock Ford intake though...I'm running a Performer 289 intake now and it didn't even have that hole (and I have my crossover blocked anyway). It was an interesting little two-door valve, see below.

On the fuel line, mine is all 5/16".
I re-used the original hard line that went from the pump to the carb, but cut it off just short of the distributor and flared the end of it slightly. I installed two sections of 5/16" hose with my fuel filter in between, and double clamped the barb. Might not be the sexiest looking thing in the world, but it's easy to access and service when needed.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Whisler
Thanks for the input fellas, appreciate it. I couldn't source the gasket I was asking about so I just made one out of gasket material. I also cut my fuel line and re routed it slightly.

Whisler wrote
Don't forget a pressure regulator for that Edelbrock carb. You will need it (don't ask how I know) I have a set-up similar to yours and I will try to get a picture tomorrow of the setup from regulator to carb.
Whisler, I've never had a pressure regulator on my truck and I've been running this setup for years. Do you have an electric fuel pump? Looking forward to hearing from you on this issue and seeing your pictures. If you would, please also post pics so I can see your set up for the return spring and kickdown?

Thanks!!!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
No I don't have an electric fuel pump. My mechanical fuel pump showed over 7 psi on the regulator before I backed it down. These mechanical pumps can vary I guess but I understand the Edelbrock carbs don't like more than about 6 psi.

I can get a picture of the return spring but can't help with the kickdown linkage as I didn't use it. The set-up Edelbrock uses is very problematic and I gave up on it. Since I use a Hurst Pro-matic 2 ratchet shifter, if I need to kick down I just slap the shifter.

Sorry. Forgot the picture today but will try for tomorrow.

God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Sorry it took so long for pictures but here they are:
pressure regulator and fuel lines

fuel filter

carb. linkage
God Bless
Whisler