classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to buy a Bullnose Ford

viven44
I want to ask for opinions on how to gauge miles on a Bullnose truck

I am really tired of telling people most times they have no idea how many miles is on the truck that they are selling

I have only once come across a bullnose truck for sale that claimed it had over 300,000 miles and that’s because the original owner had pride in how well he took care of it.. many others pretty much claimed original xx,xxx miles and I’m getting tired of that… I have routinely come across “OBS” trucks with over 300,000 miles that looked pristine so I’m very sure Bullnose trucks are capable of feats similar to that

Case in point

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/848076333404507/?mibextid=6ojiHh
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to buy a Bullnose Ford

thelastkeg
I'm certainly not an expert but I'm 39 and I'm up to 74 vehicles that I've cycled through.  Most of them what I would consider as bottom-feeder type (cheap and high miles, usually not running).  I feel like seat wear, pedal wear, and the floor where the driver heel rests are all pretty good indicators.  The way the doors feel and sound when shutting.  But even then it's dependent on the driver habits and how well they were taken care of.  

My 68 Chevelle that is a family car and is known to have only 45,000 miles has no pedal wear at all, no heel wear, and the seats weren't cracked and still had firm padding (until I started driving it and now they've cracked a good bit).  It also had the original ball joints that were riveted in which is a good clue for that application.  

My 85 bullnose that was my Papaw's has a known 135,000ish miles, but it's always had a floormat so the heel wear is misleading.  The pedals have some noticeable wear but isn't down to the metal.  Seat has one small crack and is still firm.  

My 2000 F350 with 260,000 miles has metal showing on the pedal.  Seat padding has obviously had a lot of miles.  The overall appearance of the body, especially the fiberglass dually fenders, show its high miles and road rash pretty clear.  

The note about driver habits - I have a 95 F150 with 205,000 miles that I bought from the original owner.  I'll post a picture.  The seat is immaculate.  Still firm.  Pedal wear isn't bad at all (dirty in pics but not real worn).  But the original owner was a very small light man, and he used it for long trips.  So if it didn't have the hundred thousand spot on the odometer, I would've assumed it had a lot fewer miles.  
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
95 F150 302/M5OD-R2 being turned into bullnose flareside
85 F150 4x4 302/NP435 parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thanks for those tips. Any under the hood ? Other clues based on engine leaks ?
Also, steering feel and play... any thoughts on this ?
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

thelastkeg
To me engine leaks and worn components are just like that seat above, it's dependent on the driver and how well they maintained it.  That Chevelle has a decent rear main leak even though it's my lowest mileage vehicle.  Steering had some slop, because it was still riding on the original ball joints and bushings.  But due to it being from the family, we knew the entire history and that 45k is accurate.

I think it's more of what does the whole picture tell you?  There's so much variability, but if a lot of clues are leaning to lower miles then that's probably true.  I'm sure some others here will have clues on what components maybe to look for that are still original to the truck (like the riveted ball joints on a GM A-body).

Also, for the level of vehicles I'm dealing with, whether it's 85k, 185k, or 385k, it just doesn't matter.  None of mine are ever going to be even touching the Bring-A-Trailer sales amounts, so I'm really just trying to get some enjoyment out of them.  And I always tell people that my level of enjoyment is inversely proportional to how much money I have tied up in it.  So I tend to lean toward the vehicles that are needy and cheap, but have a certain look that calls to me.  
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
95 F150 302/M5OD-R2 being turned into bullnose flareside
85 F150 4x4 302/NP435 parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
Look at where the pedal shafts pass through the steering column support.
Those bushings get used every time you step on the brake or clutch and most people are completely blind to them.

Steering box wear is another, but can be deceiving.
I bought a Dodge Powerwagon dump from the local cemetery.
It has never been registered, because it never left the property.
Had 20x K miles and never got into 3rd gear either!

Man, the steering was completely shot.
It was terrifying to drive home!  😱
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the additional inputs!!

I am almost wanting to come up with a "questionnaire" for best odometer estimate. If there is anyone who can do that on bullnose trucks, it is this group here. As mentioned above, it is a combination of different factors.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Just what does mileage mean to you on a vehicle that's close to 40 years old. It certainly doesn't give any idea whether the vehicle is in good condition either mechanically or body wise.

A high mileage vehicle will show wear on components that get touched when being used. Like stated above pedals, seats, steering wheel, door panels around the handles. But previous owners could of changed all those components too, like me when I changed the color of one truck I also replaced the interior to a different color.

Up here in the Canadian rust belt mileage on a vehicle means very little to me. I can deal with worn mechanical parts easy enough but rusted out body and frames are impossible to fix completely as the rust soon returns.

What I see often are vehicles that are listed for sale as rust free, usually really means it got a paint job and a quick look underneath tells a different story.
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
David has pulled down the best documented mileage of our group.
When he makes his annual pilgrimage to Gary's he sets his carb as lean as it will go.
He has a 300 and I believe 2.75 gear.
He has the factory air dam and has flushed out his headlight buckets and removed the passenger mirror in an effort to squeeze every drop out of a gallon.

Drive 60 like a geriatric and I do believe he almost got 20 mpg one year.
Then of course there was the year he had to turn back because of oiling problems, but that wasn't related to any of his hypermileing mods..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Rockhauler
You bring up a good point ... I am talking from the perspective of living down in Texas where I have never encountered real rust.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I am still jealous of the 460 mileage estimates from the others  I must be doing something wrong.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm saying to Vivek that how many miles are on the vehicle don't matter, what does matter is maintenance and lack of abuse.

Maybe you think I'm off base?
I personally think he's making much ado of nothing, and shouldn't be trying to chisel down a seller.
Either it's a bad deal and you walk away, or it's fair and you drive it home. 🤷‍♂️

I realize other cultures revolve around bickering over price.
That's not me, and never will be. I refuse to even make time for that nonsense.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I agree it is frustrating that people will subtract 100s of thousands off the theoretical odometer just to make the ad appealing or just straight up lie.

I bought my 82 Bronco that sat in a field for 25 years and the odo said 40 something which sounded possible. I had nothing really to gauge the mileage on because the whole truck was in disrepair from the elements and rodent damage but it was all original parts with nearly nothing missing. I find out later the inline 6 engine was bored .020 over with a 85/86 head which tells me it's at minimum 100k miles above the odometer. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me since I'm going through everything. I think this one was just a lemon and the original owners dumped it.

I haven't been through as many vehicles as Alan has, but yeah floor wear on the driver side makes a lot of sense.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
"chisel down a seller" ?? That would be a bad idea.. both on the ju-ju front and also it won't work well for after-purchase potential help-needs.

I have so far always paid full asking price for anything I have bought ever. For the ones that were priced high, a fair offer has been made and usually that never resulted in a buy.

With miles on these trucks unknown most of the time, I figured it would be beneficial. I can't tell how many people have bought or overpaid based on "original miles" claims.

On the cultural side Jim -- I am well aware of what you are referring to.. Bargaining just for instant gratification and because you must.. I abhor that. When I sell stuff people do that sometimes.. it is frustrating so I try not to do that to others. I escaped that bargaining culture. I am probably too proud and egotistical to bargain  
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
Hey Jim was targeting that statement at anyone directly when I post I just click on the "reply" button of the last posted message.

As for Vivek I'm envious vehicles with no rust every where around me would be awesome.  
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Yes I have done that unintentional reply to someone sometimes and I worry about that always when posting in WHYDWYTT
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't take it personally, I was just trying to reply to you directly, because it referenced my post.

The DOT here uses plenty of salt, and mag chloride brine to precondition the roads.
You aren't going to find an 80's truck without rotted spring hangers, crossmembers, radiator support, etc.

Get out of the rust belt or the maritimes and I think you'll find solid vehicles.

I also didn't mean to poke at Vivek.
I'm just saying that people will nit pick and waste my time when I'm completely upfront about condition.
"as is" means just that. Don't come to me six months later when you get a flat tire that I told you was 15 years old...
I don't play that game.
If you want to come on my property and threaten me over some stupid ****,  you are likely to wake up in hospital (if you DO wake up)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Fortunately that will go away very soon.

You CAN reply to someone, and that way you can quote all, or part, of their post.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
You are fine, Jim. I just hope one of my brethren hadn't done you wrong on a past deal.. we can be gnarly negotiators  Me... not so much. I couldn't probably negotiate a cost of living increase
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've said before, your 'nation' is a conglomeration of dozens of countries with a common currency and president.

When I think of hagglers I typically think of middle eastern and north Africans.
And semites, but there's to be no discussion of politics or religion, so please ignore it as an observation, not any kind of judgement.

You really ought to have a COLA as well as a "time served" raise incorporated into whatever contract you're obligated to.
I can't imagine corporate work without one!

But again, if I feel insulted by a negotiation I just walk out.
I really don't care enough to 'deal' with people like that.
Typically they come to find out when I'm working for the competition and eating their lunch.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
You know more about 'my' nation than a lot of people that live there know about it.... it used to be different countries until a common 'enemy' came in and united it into one.... imagine putting all of europe into one country.... it is as diverse as Europe. I know very little about the next state over... I am married to an Arkansan and I've been here longer so I know more about 'Hillbilly' culture than I do my own to be honest. How many of my kind do you see messing with 460 big blocks. They probably will have a heart attack sitting in their Teslas if they knew I was driving around a 8mpg truck
Vivek