Bullnose Forum

Have You Played With Microsoft Copilot?

Ah, AI I don't think I'm going to care much about the emotions my computer feels.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/07/could-ais-become-conscious-right-now-we-have-no-way-to-tell/

Like I pointed out above, we're some 23 orders of magnitude away from silicon (or whatever replaces it) from having a human level of neural network.

But breakthroughs happen every day and Nvidia is really at the forefront of processors. (Kudo's to Jensen Huang)

Man, that is a hard read! My mind doesn't like to think through how it thinks or if it is really conscious or unconscious. I struggle to get my head around how a modern computer works, even though I've built rudimentary ones. But to extrapolate to one that can be aware of its past and use that to influence the present and the future is way beyond me.

But the smart people out there will be able to understand that and, eventually I think there will be computers that are conscious. As for now: “Our analysis suggests that no current AI systems are conscious but also suggests that there are no obvious technical barriers to building AI systems which satisfy these indicators.”

Man, that is a hard read! My mind doesn't like to think through how it thinks or if it is really conscious or unconscious. I struggle to get my head around how a modern computer works, even though I've built rudimentary ones. But to extrapolate to one that can be aware of its past and use that to influence the present and the future is way beyond me.

But the smart people out there will be able to understand that and, eventually I think there will be computers that are conscious. As for now: “Our analysis suggests that no current AI systems are conscious but also suggests that there are no obvious technical barriers to building AI systems which satisfy these indicators.”

I was a voracious reader as a child.

Loved Azimov, and he certainly accepted the coming of synchronicity.

I remember Foundations, I Robot and a book about the human brain and how it works.

The Three Laws were not lost to my young mind, but I don't have any doubt that if silicon becomes sentient, it going to be more like HAL than Robbie.

The idea of a robopsychologist is both amusing and terrifying at the same time!

Ah, AI I don't think I'm going to care much about the emotions my computer feels.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/07/could-ais-become-conscious-right-now-we-have-no-way-to-tell/

Like I pointed out above, we're some 23 orders of magnitude away from silicon (or whatever replaces it) from having a human level of neural network.

But breakthroughs happen every day and Nvidia is really at the forefront of processors. (Kudo's to Jensen Huang)

I just don't believe AI can ever acquire "theory of mind". Theory of mind is a gift from God. All sentient beings are born with some level of it. The day Humans are able to program a fully functional theory of mind into a piece of chip, Humans should be able to perform other god level feats.... maybe stop/start natural disasters, create new planets.

I just don't believe AI can ever acquire "theory of mind". Theory of mind is a gift from God. All sentient beings are born with some level of it. The day Humans are able to program a fully functional theory of mind into a piece of chip, Humans should be able to perform other god level feats.... maybe stop/start natural disasters, create new planets.

I think the point is that with even a tiny neural network the computer learns to program itself.

For now, computers are only as 'smart' as their program, but if a computer changed from a LLM to developing it's own ideas the game is over... (for us)