FL1A mystery

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FL1A mystery

mat in tn
I have read a comment here and there about whether motorcraft still makes the fl1a. but I have noticed that the last dozen or so I have received do not have the signature ribbing at the end yet have the series of flats like the Fram ph8a. I have been a stickler for using them for many years and I'm doubting their worth now. the main issue I have been having is failure of the anti-drain back. repeatedly on my flareside which I find interesting in itself. but also, on my 4.9. now the flareside gets the most miles by far. and in preparing for a road trip, I changed the oil last night. I did not spill a drop removing the filter. but that was only because in the half hour from getting home the filter was empty. not low, empty. this has happened numerous times and I can tell its failing when I start cold and lifters rattle till oil pressure is up. now I fill the filter, install, then fill engine. same last night.  I DID NOT START IT. started this morning with zero rocker noise. this is how it seems to go. we will see how long this takes to start leaking down again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FL1A mystery

Ifitaintbroke
I know at work I carry the fl1a, but maybe they're being made somewhere else now...
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Last I heard, Mann-Hummel makes Motorcraft oil filters. I have also heard mention of runs of defective Motorcraft filters, like incompatible anti-drainback seals (too small) and missing bypass valves.

I personally picked up a Purolator Air Filter for my Ranger, which was made by Mann-Hummel, and supposedly in the USA. Stamped into the side of the filter media was "Made In The UAS". If they can't even get the printing on the filter right, I'm not sure they can get assembling filters right either.

I too have been a stickler for Motorcraft for the entire 13 years I've owned my Ranger but am weary of their future when it comes to quality filters.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Interesting!

Purolator makes, or use to make Motorcraft filters from what I've read.

I've always liked Purolator and Motorcraft filters.

Edit, that's right Shawn, I think I read Mann and Hummel were now making them. Disappointing.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well, I am aware of the drain back issue. and it bothers me when I start my engine and it rattles. does not look good for the engine builder(me). but this time removing an empty filter after just driving into the garage 30 minutes prior is very bothersome. new ones have worked so far. but at this rate i may have do change it annually
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
All I know is that the price of FL-1A tripled this past year at Walmart. Used to be $3, went to $9 overnight.  Shelf sticker $3, it rang up as $9 at the register. They let me take a couple more at $3 when this happened. Just checked its over $12 now!!
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Sounds about right. How long has it been since you bought a battery?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I usually get my batteries at Costco, and Yes the price gouging is ridiculous. Fortunately, Size 65 is on the cheaper side.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by viven44
I remember that... and the same day bulk-ordered Wix filters for $6 a pop (still burning through them, but I have two trucks and a boat that use the FL-1A size filter). Before that though, they were pretty much unobtainium at Walmart (when I found a couple in stock while out-of-state, I nabbed them!)... I guess Ford's supplier couldn't keep up and they had to change suppliers (and justify a jacked up price too apparently). No thanks!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
I pretty much just use Wix 51515 now (Napa 1515), but was a die-hard FL1A guy for most of my life.  I still have at least one full case of FL1As I got back in the mid-90s on the garage shelf.  I'm loathe to use them, though, as I'm not sure how much they'd break down in a burning hot and freezing cold shop over 25+ years.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yup

I bought the last of the Motorcraft from Walmart around here.

Wix/NAPA now.

Motorcraft forgeries have been a thing for quite a few years.
I've had a discussion with Gary about this, here on the forum before.

Maybe Myrl has some insight from the dealers parts counter?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
This is a long but interesting read;

https://fordsix.com/threads/study’s-on-oil-filters-that-cross-to-the-motorcraft-fl1a.84876/
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
☹️

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/avoid-counterfeit-motorcraft-parts-with-this-helpful-guide/

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/watch-for-counterfeit-motorcraft-parts-on-amazon.4515/
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Oops! Any thoughts on how I could let it be read without having to create an account?
Haven’t had all of my coffee yet, so unable to think.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know the mysteries of all these forum back ends, obviously....  😉
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
How big a list is it?

Maybe you can do like I do, and just screenshot it
Though Gary is very conscious of posting anything on this forum that might be another person's intellectual property
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Until I can figure out how here’s a very abbreviated overview.
They cut apart just about every filter known to cross reference to the Motorcraft FL1A and describe backflow design and overall quality of construction.

The bottom line that I got from it was that there is a current offering that most closely resembles the beloved FL1A of yore.

Ford Racing Performance
CM 6731-FL1A
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nothing new

See the Mini Mopar reviews from decades ago.
Kinser???
It's been a LONG time, but my autistic mind is full of arcane minutae

Edit:
Yup!
I'm a freak!  😄

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
FRPP for a damned oil filter is a hard NO for me!

$43 retail and 28 at Walmart???  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ford-Performance-Parts-CM-6731-FL1A-High-Performance-Oil-Filter/181993123?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

"Please put down the crack pipe, sir"
 Jim,