Bullnose Forums

Chrome: Whitening / Rusting

Hi people,

Less than two years after installed, some new LMC chromed parts began to show some weaknesses.

1- Bottom mirror arm bracket began to show little rust spots (both driver an passenger sides).

The upper brackets are ok.

I can clean the little rust points, but they come back.

IMG_0328.jpeg.1ad8777e179afbf6691d230f41347126.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg.2b73aae000c0467c3343547472df3ae7.jpeg

2- On the front truck bezels, the upper and lower metal strips began to fade out, I mean the chrome is goin “white”.

I tried to clean it, nothing works. Looks like kind of protective coating that was factory applied.

IMG_0318.jpeg.9ae7ec73857c75468dfe6affe29e70c4.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg.ed026dd98b250d5e39c75d1dcb5fcb45.jpeg

Remember that Big Brother never goes on salted roads, and the only water that falls on is when I wash and clean him.

He sits in a well vented and not heated garage, not exposed to sun, snow or rain.

The problem seems to accelerate this year.

These are the only 4 chromed parts I have issue with.

Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Jeff!

Another member just showed how effective his ultrasonic tank is at cleaning chrome.

The rusting is an issue, because obviously it's not the chrome (chrome protects itself with an invisible oxide layer)

The issue is super thin 'flash' plating and none of the "proper" under plating.

Copper first, then nickel, THEN chrome.

Copper and nickel CAN'T rust, and both are used because they bond tight to steel, whereas chrome really can't get a good footing.

But this is what you get when you ask China to make X for $0.50 each!

Perhaps you should go to the vendor reviews and bring it up.

Last year I subbed (tagged) the head of Ford parts for LMC to that thread and explained in no uncertain terms some of the issues we have. (Like the body bushings being mislabeled.... but the right part is there!)

Feel welcome to vent. 😁

Good morning Jeff!

Another member just showed how effective his ultrasonic tank is at cleaning chrome.

The rusting is an issue, because obviously it's not the chrome (chrome protects itself with an invisible oxide layer)

The issue is super thin 'flash' plating and none of the "proper" under plating.

Copper first, then nickel, THEN chrome.

Copper and nickel CAN'T rust, and both are used because they bond tight to steel, whereas chrome really can't get a good footing.

But this is what you get when you ask China to make X for $0.50 each!

Perhaps you should go to the vendor reviews and bring it up.

Last year I subbed (tagged) the head of Ford parts for LMC to that thread and explained in no uncertain terms some of the issues we have. (Like the body bushings being mislabeled.... but the right part is there!)

Feel welcome to vent. 😁

this is the type of rusting that we sometimes get after just cleaning an old chrome part. but you say that you bought these a few years ago new as replacements? unfortunately, there is really only one fix. a proper re-plating. probably not super expensive if you can just have the two lower mounts done.

as to the grill pieces. these are not chrome! they are anodized aluminum. this fades with age and yes, the replacements fade faster than the originals did. there is no polishing them really. I wish there was a chrome option. I've considered asking about whether they could be chrome plated but I have not inquired with a plater yet

this is the type of rusting that we sometimes get after just cleaning an old chrome part. but you say that you bought these a few years ago new as replacements? unfortunately, there is really only one fix. a proper re-plating. probably not super expensive if you can just have the two lower mounts done.

as to the grill pieces. these are not chrome! they are anodized aluminum. this fades with age and yes, the replacements fade faster than the originals did. there is no polishing them really. I wish there was a chrome option. I've considered asking about whether they could be chrome plated but I have not inquired with a plater yet

For the front bezels, it really looks like a coating.

I scrubbed with a compound for metallic surfaces I had here, and it can be removed.

But it takes forever for just this small surface…

Anyway, I emailed LMC with details, let’s wait and see what they’ll answer.

IMG_0450.jpeg.0b5d9b509b602059fff067415923d8df.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg.5b3f8b68b4f7a473ed347876af780c1f.jpeg

For the front bezels, it really looks like a coating.

I scrubbed with a compound for metallic surfaces I had here, and it can be removed.

But it takes forever for just this small surface…

Anyway, I emailed LMC with details, let’s wait and see what they’ll answer.

Anodizing IS a surface treatment...

Anodizing IS a surface treatment...

Jeff I was lead to believe the aluminum pieces that are polished have a clear coat applied to slow the oxidization process. Looks like your trim coating isn't UV stable.

Over here in Sudbury Ontario I've been struggling keeping rust at bay on my truck that gets parked for the winter to avoid the salt. Last few years our local climate seems to be much wetter than past years. I just spent 12 hours scrubbing the fascia, eaves trough and siding on my house to remove lichen and other crap. Been in this house over 30 years and this issue just started the last 3 or 4 years.

Jeff I was lead to believe the aluminum pieces that are polished have a clear coat applied to slow the oxidization process. Looks like your trim coating isn't UV stable.

Over here in Sudbury Ontario I've been struggling keeping rust at bay on my truck that gets parked for the winter to avoid the salt. Last few years our local climate seems to be much wetter than past years. I just spent 12 hours scrubbing the fascia, eaves trough and siding on my house to remove lichen and other crap. Been in this house over 30 years and this issue just started the last 3 or 4 years.

Paul - Looks like we have similar growing humidity phenomenon here too.

My hay provider complains he has difficulty to harvest since couple of years (farmers family since 100 years). It’s difficult to have more then 3 sunny consecutive dry days. Not necessarily huge flooding, but constant and regular rain sequences.

But despite those observations, it’s difficult to accept that brand new parts begin to rust so fast (mirror lower brackets). The upper brackets don’t have this problem.

Paul - Looks like we have similar growing humidity phenomenon here too.

My hay provider complains he has difficulty to harvest since couple of years (farmers family since 100 years). It’s difficult to have more then 3 sunny consecutive dry days. Not necessarily huge flooding, but constant and regular rain sequences.

But despite those observations, it’s difficult to accept that brand new parts begin to rust so fast (mirror lower brackets). The upper brackets don’t have this problem.

Everything is made to a cost...

You need to point out to Mr Dickson that disappointment in garbage products is ruining LMC's reputation, regardless of the profit they pull in.

Hard to stay in business if no one is ignorant enough to buy from you. 💡

Everything is made to a cost...

You need to point out to Mr Dickson that disappointment in garbage products is ruining LMC's reputation, regardless of the profit they pull in.

Hard to stay in business if no one is ignorant enough to buy from you. 💡

I think I am mostly done with LMC unless they sell one-of-a-kind. If there is another source for the same product, I've made up my mind to stay away from LMC. I've had to rig things up due to poor fit.... just in my 78 Bronco... the speedometer cable was too long, the gas tank vent stub location was in the wrong spot... i'm forgetting a couple other things.. I've also had good luck with them on other stuff in the past... but generally speaking they do sell one-of-a-kind stuff and where their value lies.

I think I am mostly done with LMC unless they sell one-of-a-kind. If there is another source for the same product, I've made up my mind to stay away from LMC. I've had to rig things up due to poor fit.... just in my 78 Bronco... the speedometer cable was too long, the gas tank vent stub location was in the wrong spot... i'm forgetting a couple other things.. I've also had good luck with them on other stuff in the past... but generally speaking they do sell one-of-a-kind stuff and where their value lies.

Let’s let Keith know what is being said. I’ll tag him.