classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anybody ever use/install RimSavers?

Rembrant
Gentlemen,

After working on the old 1980 project truck for a couple hours this morning, I promised Mrs. Rembrant that I'd get the summer wheels ready for her car. Part of "getting them ready" was to install a new set of RimSavers.

I only found out about this product recently, so I thought I'd mention it to you guys...maybe not for use on your trucks, but maybe on your cars (or significant other car, or kids cars, etc).

But first, the funny story on how I discovered these things in the first place. I had hounded my wife for years not to scuff up the wheels on her car when trying to park near a curb, etc. She actually did really well. Last fall, we were going out for dinner with another couple and when trying to park downtown, it was ME that scuffed her wheel up against the carb, and fairly hard too. Boy did I eat it for that one...but anyway. I had a look the next morning and found that the car had these plastic covers stuck on the wheel lips, and I didn't even know that they were on there. They had obviously been installed by the previous owner or the dealer that sold us the car (used, 3 years old). So I did a little research and found out that the car had a set of dark grey or graphite grey Rimsavers installed.

https://www.rimbladesusa.com/product/rimsavers/#:~:text=RimSavers%20are%20the%20most%20durable,removal%20of%20the%20tire%20required.

I thought great, the previous owner of the car must have really cared about the car and installed these Rimsavers to protect the precious rims! So I ordered a new set a month or so ago, and just got around to installing them today. Guess what I found underneath them...

So, not only are they a great idea to protect the edges of your alloy wheels, but they are apparently also great at hiding previous damages...haha. The dealer may very well have installed these themselves...I guess, same as anything else when trying to pretty-up a lease return to put back out on the lot.

Anyway, I cleaned off all the old adhesive (By the way...I just recently bought my first eraser wheel for the drill for removing decals and adhesive, etc...man do I love that thing too and wonder where it was my whole life).

New Rimsavers installed:

That's all. Just a Sunday story from the garage. Figured that somebody else might find these things useful. They come in various colors, and they blend in quite well on our wheels.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anybody ever use/install RimSavers?

kramttocs
Administrator
Haven't ever heard of those before but they look great on there
Thanks for sharing
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Those are cool and look nice, and hide the scuffs well.

Why is that? I tell my wife not to do something and the next time were in the car together I do what I said not to do!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
Haven't ever heard of those before but they look great on there
Thanks for sharing
We had this car for over a year before I even realized that they were on there...haha. I didn't even know what they were, and the few local shops I called didn't know what they were either. Anyway, they're just a plastic guard with 3M adhesive strip on the back. The kit comes with cleaner prep, and an adhesion promotor/primer.

Here is what the cross section looks like.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Those are cool and look nice, and hide the scuffs well.

Why is that? I tell my wife not to do something and the next time were in the car together I do what I said not to do!
Oh man, did I get the look (and growl) of anger from the passenger seat that night...haha.