Air Bypass Valve Location

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Air Bypass Valve Location

Pete Whitstone
Hello all, I'm working on a '92 that I picked up dirt cheap, todays task was replacing all the emissions vacuum hose brittleness with silicon lines from Paragon Performance. They supply the correct lengths of all the colors you need, although they do substitute blue hose for the OEM pink.

Anyhow, I got it all put back together but I can't find the location of one item, referred to on the Paragon diagram as the "Air Bypass Valve". This is the item with the blue hose (OEM pink).

Any internet searching I have done for this part comes up with references to either the IAC or the Air Control Valve, found on a kind of crossover pipe just behind the motor on top of the transmission (yellow line).

The underhood diagram show this.

With the pink line going to it.

I know this is a bullnose forum and not an aeronose forum, but I am wondering if the later bullnoses with FI had these pieces.

Can anyone help me find the elusive "Air Bypass Valve"? Thanks!
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Air Bypass Valve Location

85lebaront2
Administrator
Air bypass valve if it is part of the Thermactor system will be on the air pipe from the Thermactor pump (air pump) to the air pipes. Valve in the center of the diagram labeled AIR BPV is the one you are looking for.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pete Whitstone
This is awesome information for those in Kalifornia that have pesky inspectors that want vacuum lines in their original colours!
I usually just put a wrap of coloured electrical tape on each end, or heat shrink, but you know what they say about when little men get big power...

That diagram puts everything in its relative position, so identifying the things around it... and following the fat hose from the A.I.R. pump will get you there.  ðŸ’¡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Just went out to take a picture of what's on my truck and I think I spotted it. I was expecting it to be higher up on the wheel well, somewhere near this thing.

But I think it's this thing down here by the trans dipstick and the heater box, I see a nipple for a vacuum hose on the bottom of it.

Am I correct, or is that something else? I've run out of vacuum lines so that's about got to be it...

Thanks!
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"this thing" is the intake filter and bypass muffler.

Yeah,  that looks like it.
All you have to do is follow the hose from the A.I.R. pump.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is it in the second picture, it looks like the vacuum nipple is on the bottom of it (great location, lots of heat to destroy the line).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
  Ford's finest engineering!
 Jim,