classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
122 messages Options
1 ... 34567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 80s accessories that are still cool

Jacob84
I've been thinking real hard about getting a mobile ham unit. If you have one in your bullnose you should start a thread detailing it. Or put it here. Either way, I would be interested to see it!
TheScatch wrote
I have forgone the CB and keep either a UHF/VHF in each vehicle or a GMRS mobile unit that is capable of listening to NOAA, especially since we are in the hurricane zone. Its FM vs AM at that point and you have much smaller antennas this route. Both require a license at this point in time, granted many places violate that with bubble pack radios, but I still personally like UHF/GMRS better than CB and VHF better than UHF for really reaching out.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Jacob84 wrote
I've been thinking real hard about getting a mobile ham unit. If you have one in your bullnose you should start a thread detailing it. Or put it here. Either way, I would be interested to see it!
TheScatch wrote
I have forgone the CB and keep either a UHF/VHF in each vehicle or a GMRS mobile unit that is capable of listening to NOAA, especially since we are in the hurricane zone. Its FM vs AM at that point and you have much smaller antennas this route. Both require a license at this point in time, granted many places violate that with bubble pack radios, but I still personally like UHF/GMRS better than CB and VHF better than UHF for really reaching out.
Right now my intent is to run an antenna top dead center on the cab as it offers the best ground plane. Unit to be mounted in the center of the high-liner headliner. Ill run cabling down one of the pillars and tie into a fuse block under the hood. Due to COVID-19 my HAM test was canceled and they have not been doing them for a couple months now. I do have my GMRS and my commercial in the mean time but that wont suffice.

I do have some concerns about the metal thickness there and if it would cause any issues but I doubt it will be an issue. My dad had a federal street hawk light bar/siren and antenna on his '86 with no issues.
1986 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I put a 2 meter in my Bronco and a 2 meter/70 cm in a car I used to have. Wanted to try it on a road trip since CB can be really quiet.

Well drove about 1800 miles I made two contacts. It’s as quiet as the citizens band. I was disappointed. Pulled the radios, sold one and put CB’s back in.

Don’t want to be discouraging but that’s my experience. If you install them I hope it works good for you.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by Danny G
Yes, the metal is pretty thin. I've thought about hiding/relocating the oem radio antenna and putting the ham antenna there. I don't know if that will work well though, I'm new to the ham world

TheScatch wrote
I do have some concerns about the metal thickness there and if it would cause any issues but I doubt it will be an issue. My dad had a federal street hawk light bar/siren and antenna on his '86 with no issues.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
I put a 2 meter in my Bronco and a 2 meter/70 cm in a car I used to have. Wanted to try it on a road trip since CB can be really quiet.

Well drove about 1800 miles I made two contacts. It’s as quiet as the citizens band. I was disappointed. Pulled the radios, sold one and put CB’s back in.

Don’t want to be discouraging but that’s my experience. If you install them I hope it works good for you.
You're completely right, I don't think I'll hear much traffic. Main thing for me is emergency communications where there is no phone service, natural disasters, and keeping up with the weather.  If something happens at home I can drive on top of the ridge behind my house and hit one of the two repeaters I live in between. Or if I'm deep in the Ouachita National Forest broke down or hurt I can call for help.
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Jacob84 wrote
grumpin wrote

You're completely right, I don't think I'll hear much traffic. Main thing for me is emergency communications where there is no phone service, natural disasters, and keeping up with the weather.  If something happens at home I can drive on top of the ridge behind my house and hit one of the two repeaters I live in between. Or if I'm deep in the Ouachita National Forest broke down or hurt I can call for help.

There is that, and for us personally, our future in-laws live outside of cellphone tower range. While we are up there packing around the only way to contact each other is via radio.

Fender mounts are popular just like bed rail mounts. The problem you get is ground plane. If you don't have a good even ground plane you affect the lobe of the antenna, basically turning an omni directional antenna into a directional one. Sometimes you just don't have a choice but with 2m (VHF, HAM freq's and NOAA found here) / 70cm (UHF - FRS and GMRS found in this range), the higher the antenna and the better the ground plane the better the performance. You can add significant range simply from going from the trunk, to the roof of a car.
1986 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Uhf and vhf antennas are so much better. I took the 2m/70cm and put it in my garage (kind of a shack), and put the mag mount antenna I used on the freezer out there and it does great.

I’ve been around uhf and vhf in my former career (aircraft mechanic). Different in cars and compared to CB’s. Although the little President Bill CB I put in the Xterra has impressed me. I’ve got a President Andy coming to put in the truck.

I have a Cobra 148 GTL in the truck now. I wanted something I didn’t have to fidget with so I can concentrate on driving. The Andy is pretty basic.

I could sure see wanting those for the comm you guys are talking about. I have my General license so I could use more freqs on the 10 meter, when we get the sunspots again. I don’t think I’ll test any higher.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Jacob84
Had to look up Ohyoucheetah National Forest! AFAIK I’ve only been to Arkansas once and that was an overnighter at Little Rock Air Force Base. I’ve never seen so many C130’s at one place!

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Danny G
which is why I have a magnetic mount antenna at the rear part of my cab.  Once I get my truck painted how ever I wont be putting a magnet back on the roof so I am thinking of trying a roll bar mount and then running a ground strap from the roll bar to my frame since I have a flare side and the roll bar will be mounting into wood.

I figured if the antenna is mounted on a roll bar clamp on the front side it should put the antenna over the rear of my cab.  Not as far forward as my magnetic mount but it should still have a good transmission as it does still have the metallic roof below.

Now I have seen it stated it can cause a forward transmission while reducing rear transmission but at the same time the reading I did stated that the more antenna you have above your cab the better the transmission.  Well with a roll bar mount all of the antenna will be above the cab so it kind of contradicts one another when you start reading more into it.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
These might help with those turbine wheels. On a travel trailer forum I use people rave about these balancers.

https://www.centramatic.com/
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty, Firestik has a downloadable guide on their website, you may have seen it. I’ve found it to be very useful and informative.

I’ve tried links and it goes to their main website. But I’ll try it.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Cb&swr-18pg.pdf

AM is kind of weird to me, I’ve put radios in and did all I could to get it perfect and it would be crappy. I’ve thrown things together for a temporary setup and it’s great.

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Edit: The link worked!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Around here we call it Wash-ee-taw, unless you're real backwoods then its Warsh-ee-taww lol. It's a place of one name but many interpretations of pronunciation It's an awesome place. The airforce likes to train over Lake Ouachita so it's pretty common to see fighter jets, helicopters, gunships, and cargo planes fly over the house and over the lake.... especially cool when they're barely above the tree tops
grumpin wrote
Had to look up Ohyoucheetah National Forest! AFAIK I’ve only been to Arkansas once and that was an overnighter at Little Rock Air Force Base. I’ve never seen so many C130’s at one place!
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Thanks! I've looked into those briefly. They're not cheap but they're supposed to be really good. I got the wheels balanced by a good shop after they put some 33s on the turbines last week.....wheel see how it goes this time around (pun intended). Putting them on the truck this Friday. Might be investing in some centramtics, we shall see
Gsmblue wrote
These might help with those turbine wheels. On a travel trailer forum I use people rave about these balancers.

https://www.centramatic.com/
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84

Does this grille count as 80s? Old picture of when I saw the truck for the first time
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Jacob84
That’s cool! Lot’s of indian names in the northwest, that you have to learn how to pronounce.

And then there’s the Willamette Valley, (wi lam it), lot’s of people wait to pounce on newbies when they say william ette. Had that happen to me, told the lady I was impressed with her welcoming skills!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
...lot’s of people wait to pounce on newbies when they say william ette. Had that happen to me, told the lady I was impressed with her welcoming skills!
Ha! I used to have a friend in Myrtle Creek, Oregon and the first time I actually spoke to him on the phone back about 20 years ago, the very first thing he did was correct my pronunciation of Oregon...ha. I'll never forget it, he said "Wait, hold up....first things first, Oregon ain't gone nowhere! It's Ore-Gin, not Ore-Gone".

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I dunno, but I had never heard it called anything but "Ore-Gone". lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Cory, must be a canadian thing.....like hockey.

Here in the South, if you mention hockey, or say Ore-Gone, you'll get some sideways looks. Lol
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Ha! I used to have a friend in Myrtle Creek, Oregon and the first time I actually spoke to him on the phone back about 20 years ago, the very first thing he did was correct my pronunciation of Oregon...ha. I'll never forget it, he said "Wait, hold up....first things first, Oregon ain't gone nowhere! It's Ore-Gin, not Ore-Gone".

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I dunno, but I had never heard it called anything but "Ore-Gone". lol.
Ha! Yeah there’s that. My cousin in Tennessee says Ore gone! Everybody thinks it rains all the time in Oregon. It does on the west side. People forget or don’t know that most of the state isn’t a rain forest.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Then there's Ouray Colorado.  I've heard it OO-ray, oo-RAY, YOU-ray, you-RAY, YOUR-ay, your-AY and maybe one or two other ways as well.  And I've seen "definitive" answers to that that differ from each other.

And if anyone remembers the TV show "Coach" where Craig T Nelson played the head coach at fictitious Minnesota State University (although since that time Mankato State University was renamed Minnesota State).  I remember an episode where they were going to Shakopee (a town south of the Twin Cities).  But instead of pronouncing it SHOCK-o-pee they pronounced it sha-KO-pee.  OK, you made us Minnesotans like the show by setting it in our state.  But now you've offended us.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
Ha! Yeah there’s that. My cousin in Tennessee says Ore gone! Everybody thinks it rains all the time in Oregon. It does on the west side. People forget or don’t know that most of the state isn’t a rain forest.
Right. I suppose a lot of people get confused between Portland and the rest of Oregon. I've spent a little bit of time there and love the state, but I never did get to see any eastern parts of Oregon. The Hells Canyon area was on my bucket list for years, but I never did get there.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

1 ... 34567