Window Regulator Replacement - Squeaking!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Regulator Replacement - Squeaking!

ckuske
Administrator
My windows were difficult to roll up, especially the drivers window.  I bought new manual window regulators.  I ordered them from Bronco Graveyard, but the passenger side was backordered.  So, I ordered a passenger side regulator from Amazon.

I installed both - the passenger side is great.  Smooth, no squeaks.  Like new.  The drivers side squeaks both ways, but especially on roll up.  I thought maybe I got a bad one, and it was a different brand than the good one on the passenger side.  So, I ordered the same brand for the drivers side.

I installed it tonight, and it squeaks just as badly as the first one!  It's hard to pinpoint the sound exactly, but it really seems to be coming from the new regulator on the "worm gear" (that's what I'm going to call it) that the handle attaches too.  I've sprayed WD-40 white lithium grease into it, tried to squeeze normal white lithium grease into the small gap between the crank and the housing to the regulator, but it made no difference.  Everything is fastened nice and tight, there is no play in anything.

I read that maybe the window channels need to be lubricated with silicone grease to help the window to roll up and down more smoothly, but I would think that would apply more to power windows as far as stopping squeaking/squealing.

Any ideas?
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Window Regulator Replacement - Squeaking!

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have manual windows. Definitely try the Superlube grease with a Q-tip for the window channels.
The rubber & felt get hard and brittle.

Also look to see the window travels 'square' in the rails.
If the track wears out the window will cock a little one way then the other. Then it binds and makes the regulator work much harder than it has to.

Replacing the liners is a pain and a little tricky but it can make a world of difference
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Silicon lubricant is a great rubber protectant. Been using it for decades.  

In my experience using silicon lubricant, the rubber seals will deform and flatten after decades of use before they become hard and brittle. I still have origin seals on my windows and they look and perform like they were new.

I use it anywhere there is rubber or plastic. Just be sure not to spray it on clear coat paint as it can damage the clear coat.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think the track just wears from years of dust and the window running in it.
Obviously with manual windows the driver's side sees a lot more use.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I agree, if the stuff is worn out, replacing it is the only way to fix it.

Silicon lubricant on the new rubber will keep them newer for a long time.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks everyone. I have some Super Lube on the way, I’ll try it tomorrow and see if it helps.  I suppose that the regulator is more likely to make noise if it’s having to fight against the rubber/felt.  

I’m hoping that will help for now, I’m trying to hold off on replacing all the felt/rubber until I get the truck painted.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I applied the silicon lube and things got much better.

I then noticed of all things that most of the squeaking was coming from the knob on the door handle!  It never occurred to me to check that until everything else got so smooth.

It's like butter now, thanks all.
Chris