Turn signal cam and harness

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Turn signal cam and harness

Mushrat79
I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out how to replace my turn signal switch in my 86 without cutting the harness...?  This will be the first step in troubleshooting my brake and running lights issue. Tail lights turn on with the ignition (not the light switch), and no brake lights. When replacing the fuse for the brake lights/hazards, I blow fuses.

I know that the signal switch and brake light issue may not be related, but I want to go through all electrical wiring, fix it right, and work my way back to ensure I don't have any other issues.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Turn signal cam and harness

BigBrother-84
Mushrat79 wrote
I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out how to replace my turn signal switch in my 86 without cutting the harness...?
Not sure I understand... The turn signal switch is plugged with a connector (C305).
There should be no wire to cut.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Mushrat79
Typically you unpin the curved connector and then fish the wires back down through the column.
This is more complicated if you have tilt column because there's less room through the hinge area.
ETA if you have speed/cruise control there will be two of these curved connectors C305, A&B

Let me see if I can find a recent thread about this.  

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Replacing-a-turn-switch-td140381.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
That's what my issue was before, is having the room for fishing the harness through. I do have tilt and cruise. I don't want to cut the harness and splice like I did before, but finding instructions online seems impossible.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, you've already got the connector off and you still can't pull the wires through?
Do note where Tom mentioned that he taped up the wires with the pins staggered so they don't present a big lump to try and get through the column.

But he also said he doesn't have tilt.
If you're still stuck perhaps another member has better advice?
I've never had to deal with replacement in a tilt column.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
One thing to make sure of is that there are no hot connections shorting in the column. There's several uninsulated terminals in there, and some can short to the backside of the steering wheel. Just a thought. Also, and I'm sure someone has already said this, but check your grounds.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
In the tilt version it is a nightmare. Took me 4 hours when I did it. But I also had no clue what I was doing.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
^ What Ifitaintbroke said.

It took some time and patience. I had a tilt wheel, there might be something holding it in place or it was replaced before and someone tie wrapped or taped the wires.

Edit: Typo
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
Got it done today.  Want a horrible job, but definitely necessary. I removed the connector as mentioned in here, and used the sleeve that comes with the harness as a "tunnel" to push the wires through.  Then used a small screwdriver to force the pins open a little bit after re-attaching the connector, and done!  Took care of my stop light issue.  Picture attached of the old switch, and could see where the wires were worn from rubbing against the wheel. Not good!  Anyway, now the weird thing is that the flashers, while they do work, tend to flash strangely.  They flash, but, how to say...  there's no tempo lol.  Very random pattern. Any ideas?
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
This helped so much!  I don't know why I never thought of just disconnecting the connector like this...
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
So, I have a tilt as well.  What I did was use the sleeve to act as a tunnel to push the wires through.  Made it so much easier. Hopefully I never have to do this again, but hey, just in case!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Mushrat79 wrote
Got it done today.  Want a horrible job, but definitely necessary. I removed the connector as mentioned in here, and used the sleeve that comes with the harness as a "tunnel" to push the wires through.  Then used a small screwdriver to force the pins open a little bit after re-attaching the connector, and done!  Took care of my stop light issue.  Picture attached of the old switch, and could see where the wires were worn from rubbing against the wheel. Not good!  Anyway, now the weird thing is that the flashers, while they do work, tend to flash strangely.  They flash, but, how to say...  there's no tempo lol.  Very random pattern. Any ideas?
Do you have any LED bulbs installed? They don't always flash properly.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
Nope.  Just standard bulbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mushrat79 wrote
Anyway, now the weird thing is that the flashers, while they do work, tend to flash strangely.  They flash, but, how to say...  there's no tempo lol.  Very random pattern. Any ideas?
Do the hazard lights also flash with no tempo?
If they flash normally you might try swapping the turn signal flasher (front side of the fuse panel) with the hazard flasher that's on the back.
If both the hazard and turn signals are the same I'd go looking for a wire in the circuit hat isn't making 100% contact.
Wiring diagrams and troubleshooting available under documentation/electrical/EVTM/your general year
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
The turn signals are flashing fine, it's the hazard that are off tempo.  There's also no click from the flasher stat.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'd still start with swapping the flasher cans.
The hazard switch shares a fuse with your brake lights and feeds the turn signal switch through the W/R wire
But from there on out it uses* the same turn signal wiring(and you say that's all working fine)
 Jim,