classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
90 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thoughts on a heavy hauler...

Ford F834
Administrator
I have not actually seen gas vs diesel Aeronose supports removed from the truck, but the picture in the link sure looks like the IDI support with the big drop down between the frame rails:

Compare with the 1986 IDI core support I just pulled:

Technically I ~could weld the top of the Aeronose support back together. Then I could chop the drop down off of the bricknose support and graft it on to the Aeronose core support, but that’s a lot of hacking and chopping and I would be a little concerned about the integrity, especially since the top has already been chopped and welded (badly) once already...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wouldn't be too afraid to graft it, if need be.

Would the Bricknose dash and harness fit in an Aeronose?

It's got to be easier than finding all the butchery in that harness, and a good cluster.

The back end lights are coming off with the box.
I believe Cory and Dave have some good discussion about using the Grote trailer lights on their Flaresides.

I was looking at some big poly drums in the barn and thinking that might make good fenders for something like you are doing.
Real sturdy and can't ever rust or get crushed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, the Bricknose dash and wiring could potentially be swapped, but it would be just as much work as a Bullnose dash swap. Only advantage to using the brick stuff is that I would have the HVAC box and vent ducts to use out of the red donor. For a Bullnose swap I’d have to buy that, but I believe I have everything else.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You'd have to swap firewalls as well to use the Bullnose a/c plenum, no?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You'd have to swap firewalls as well to use the Bullnose a/c plenum, no?
I am unclear on this. Shaun tells me that the HVAC box from a Bullnose bolted directly to a Bricknose cab. So those two firewalls should be the same.

Chris McGaugh has been researching the potential of running the improved 134a evaporator core system in his Bronco, and he thought the outer box stayed the same from 87-96. This conflicts slightly with a dash swap thread I read on FTE that said the Bullnose HVAC box didn’t completely align with the Aeronose firewall opening. That thread suggested some small block-off plates would be needed. So my hypothesis is that there may have been a change in 94-96 when the improved evap core for 134a was introduced. It seems odd that Ford would have changed the firewall opening then, but it is possible. Granted, this is all internet anecdotal info and guessing... but it sounds like a brick or bull swap would work equally well or equally poorly. If I keep the Aero interior, I will need to be careful when finding a replacement box as I may need a late 94-96 one.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill Vose has done this.
In fact he got the entire gray dash and A/C system from the '95 450.

But it was my understanding that it wasn't a direct fit into Darth.

Dave's swapped firewalls, why not you?   🤣
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Outer (underhood) box became larger in 1994 with the introduction of R134a, inside had detail changes (side demister grilles) Firewall openings remained the same from 1980-1996/7.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Well then, I'm mistaken, and stand corrected.

You guys are such a wealth of information. 😎
It's an honor to be in the presence of greatness!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The back end lights are coming off with the box.
I believe Cory and Dave have some good discussion about using the Grote trailer lights on their Flaresides.
Yes sir, the Grote lights are easy to install, and only about $25 bucks each...maybe less.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think those and a couple of LED floods cut into a length of C channel would make a great bumper on a flatbed.
 Jim,