Rear sliding window

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear sliding window

IowaTom
Mine is stuck fast thanks to rust.  I've been using penetrating oil but it's no help.  Will I need to pry it apart and is there a replacement fix for this in my '85 F150?  Thanks!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear sliding window

85lebaront2
Administrator
Any from 1980 through 1997 OBS will work and fit fine, I have a power slider from a 1996 Centaurus custom in my 1986.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Be aware that a factory slider fits right up into a gasket that takes the double-wide track and aftermarket sliders (like C.R. Laurence) have a narrow flange that uses the gasket for single pane glass.

A lot has been said about rear gaskets that don't fit well.
There was a thread recently about this.

All this is to say if your factory slider is damaged beyond repair you're going to need a factory slider or a new gasket.

I'm going to link the thread, because there seems to be some confusion about the years that fit.  (Up to '81 & '81>)
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Rear-slider-gasket-tp54569.html

I can only speak for my truck that came with a factory slider, and when I tried to replace it with a CRL aftermarket window I needed to get a different gasket.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Jim - Thanks for the link to the thread.  Very informative and I'm always grateful when guys post part numbers.  Thinking since I live in a mostly wet & chilly climate (in the PNW) I would be inclined to replace my rusted up slider with a solid window and new seal.  
We have a truck boneyard the next town over and I might take a walk thru to see what's available.  Thanks again!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will anyway.  Sorry Tom.

One of this things on my to-do list is to work on my sliding rear window.  Some of the rubber in the channel is gone, other parts are very brittle and things just don't slide correctly.  I will first try to fix it up myself, but has anyone taken their window to an auto glass shop to see if they can/will restore it?  Or do you think they'd just laugh at me?  It seems most shops are just "remove and replace" for windshields, but I'd like a pro to work on it possibly as they'd have a better idea on the right sizes of replacement rubber, which products to use, etc.  Thoughts?
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Chris, I never tried to get mine repaired.
But as a 'make do' fix I used the plastic spine from a report cover (the clear plastic sleeve you used to submit for class)
This kept the glass centered and eliminated the binding and rattle *for a while....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
That's a good idea! I'd like to do it myself but there is a tradeoff for me of time to complete vs money.

My son wants to drive my truck before he graduates high school and I have 1.5 project years left (I'm on year 4!!!!)
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread