classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dragging/Binding Starter

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
Lucille has developed a problem that has happened twice the last three times I have driven her.  The first time was after stopping to get gas.  I went to re-start the engine, and the starter began to turn, but it dragged way too slow to turn the motor over, then it seemed to bind up, and then it kicked back.  I tried three more times and got the same result.  So I went out and tapped the starter motor and the starter relay with a wrench.  And then the engine started normally.  Except it put one heck of a drain on the battery.  It took about 15 minutes of driving to get the ammeter back to the correct spot on the gauge.

The next drive was a week later, and everything worked perfectly normal.

Today, it acted up again.  Same symptoms as described above, except I was home this time after a 30-minute drive.  So I got out and tapped the starter motor and tried again.  No change.  So then I tapped the starter relay, and that got the starter to work normally again.

In both instances, the starter worked perfectly normal when the engine was cold.  

So what is the problem?

Bad starter relay?

Or bad starter motor?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dragging/Binding Starter

Gsmblue
Sure sounds like the starter to me.

I suspect if it was the relay it would either not engage, do the click thing or would "stick".
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Could be bad contacts in the starter relay.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
definitely start by cleaning the contacts at the cable terminals on the solenoid on the fender
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Are you using the stock "moving shoe" starter or a later model PMGR? If you do swap starters, a PMGR conversion is recommended due to the relative ease of the swap (move the power cable to battery + and run a 12 gauge wire from the relay to the motor's solenoid), lower current draw, and faster cranking speed.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
LARIAT 85 wrote
Lucille has developed a problem that has happened twice the last three times I have driven her.  The first time was after stopping to get gas.  I went to re-start the engine, and the starter began to turn, but it dragged way too slow to turn the motor over, then it seemed to bind up, and then it kicked back.  I tried three more times and got the same result.  So I went out and tapped the starter motor and the starter relay with a wrench.  And then the engine started normally.  Except it put one heck of a drain on the battery.  It took about 15 minutes of driving to get the ammeter back to the correct spot on the gauge.

The next drive was a week later, and everything worked perfectly normal.

Today, it acted up again.  Same symptoms as described above, except I was home this time after a 30-minute drive.  So I got out and tapped the starter motor and tried again.  No change.  So then I tapped the starter relay, and that got the starter to work normally again.

In both instances, the starter worked perfectly normal when the engine was cold.  

So what is the problem?

Bad starter relay?

Or bad starter motor?
Exactly what mine did. Started up great when cold but after running a bit, would drag. Couple times thought it was going to leave me stranded. I just replaced it this past weekend. My starter was the OEM unit and I suspect the bushings were wore out. I replaced it with a PMGR unit from a 90's model F150, which is much smaller, lighter, and far more efficient. The PMGR starter is a great improvement over the original starter type.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Have your headers finally cooked your starter?
Is the DSII starter retard function still working with your module?
Where is your static timing set?

Installing a later PMGR style starter is a definite improvement if you end up having to replace it anyhow.
If the headers are tight consider a reflective shield made of stainless steel or something.

Quality fender relays usually don't go out on their own. They succumb to the increased amperage demand of bad cables/connections or a starter whose windings have cooked.
Then the contacts weld together and you can't get the starter to stop without rapping the relay.

A 90's style PMGR takes most of the load off the relay because the solenoid on the starter is switching the current.
You can make it look stock(ish) by using the 'Y' shaped starter cable from the same '95 truck that takes the geared starter.
A word to the wise... eliminate the troublesome spade connector on the solenoid and fit a ring terminal to the trigger wire.
Those connectors would get corroded because they take so much water when driven in the rain. (this may not be as critical in climates that don't use salt in winter)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Is the DSII starter retard function still working with your module?
Where is your static timing set?
That's what I was going to ask! Pretty sure he was running quite a bit of advance (16btdc?) because I was doing the same with my 5.0 (around 17btdc).

When I tried that new "Motorcraft" DSII module (without the retard function) my 302 became very hard to start when hot...like the starter would drag and barely move the engine..

Could pull the static back to the factory 8btdc or so and see if it's better.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When I re-read Rick's post and he says "and then it kicked back" it makes me think the timing is too far advanced.
Maybe his starter is getting weak, but it sure sounds like the timing isn't being retarded.

Which ignition module did you end up using Cory?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I here you guys on the timing, but I wouldn’t think tapping on the starter and relay would help.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think tapping anything helped.
But having the hood open while you're screwing around with the starter and/or relay certainly let the engine, starter and cables cool down.

Heat causes resistance and resistance causes heat..
It's a vicious cycle.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thank you, gentlemen.  I will try to answer your questions in the order they were received:

- All the cables look great, and all the connections are great.  I cleaned the grounds about two years ago, and I re-checked them.  They still look good.

- I am still running a (rebuilt) stock "moving shoe" conventional starter.
(If it is indeed the starter, I will probably go with a replacement PMGR starter.  I purchased the Ford conversion kit a couple of years ago for when the time comes.)

- I have a NOS Motorcraft ignition module.  (The older, original OEM style with MOTORCRAFT embossed in the case and the cool sticker with the lightning bolts on it.)  
- My timing has been set to 16 BTDC for about 10 years now and I haven't experienced any problems up until now.
- I do have a heat shied around the starter.

The first time this happened, I pulled the coil wire and turned the key again.  My thinking was to see if the starter would crank faster if I removed the timing out of the equation, but there was no change.

I don't think timing is the problem, because it has not changed from when I set it 10 years ago.  For that matter, I haven't changed anything.  And when I gave the starter and starter relay a couple of "love taps," the problem completely went away both times this problem occurred.

I just went out and cold started Lucille, and she instantly fired right up.  The starter problem only seems to happen when the engine is re-started hot.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rick, I can only think your starter bushings or brushes are worn or the enamel on the windings has just seen too much heat over ten years. (or some combination of the above)
It would be interesting to open it up, have a look and ohm it out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Yeah, you are probably right.

But hey, this is a good chance to replace it with a better PMGR starter.  Would I just get one from a 1992 Ford F150 with a 5.0 and AOD transmission?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm pretty certain the PMGR began in 1992.
Be sure to get one for an automatic and not manual.
The ring gear has different backset on a flex plate than a flywheel.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I had the Mgr at AZ do a bunch of cross checking with parts numbers for 86 and 92 F150 with 351W and auto trans before I purchased my starter. The guy likes my truck, as he had one, and always goes overboard in helping me out. This, of course, to confirm fit. As such I bought my starter from them and got the one with a lifetime warranty.    

I'm curious about that "Ford conversion kit" you spoke of? What is included in this kit? Pictures?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Here is the kit I am referring to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324143574809?epid=1211221459&hash=item4b78766f19:g:JuIAAOSw5bdeoEuV

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, so that's not the Y shaped starter cable like came on the '92-'97models...

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yep. 4.9's use the same starter too... the one I put on my 4.9 came originally from a 1993 5.0 (Yeah, too cheap to buy a brand new one. ). I think C6's and E40D's are also compatible... the only difference was between automatic and manual (snout/gear length change).

---

The Ford Kit looks identical to the what I made for mine... Just happened to have the perfect length of 12 gauge red wire handy. A lot of starters (aftermarket especially) have provisions for a ring terminal for the solenoid... it's recommended to use this (re-crimp the new wire) instead of the original spade as ring terminals tend to hold up better and don't have the issue of getting "stuck" due to corrosion.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've never seen a PMGR where the male spade wasn't just nutted down on the trigger stud.

Did they come from Ford where it wasn't removable?
 Jim,