classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door Locks and Ignition Tumbler

IDIBronco
This post was updated on .
I just thought I would pass along this information.  When I got my bronco it had non existent door keys and the ignition functioned with or without the key.  Makes it a stressful thought parking anywhere with tools inside and not being able to lock the bronco, and the possibility someone could just jump in and drive off.  So, I finally decided to do something about this.  I have always preferred only needing one key to open the doors and operate the ignition.  I went back to my parts van and saw that the van had been setup with a single key to operate everything. So I pulled the steering wheel and popped the ignition tumbler out, as well as pulled a few of the door locks.  The van has a set of 4 door locks (front 2 doors, slider, and rear door).  This gave me plenty to work with.  The bronco has never had a functional tailgate switch yet to operate the window.  It hasn't bothered me enough to investigate/fix that issue yet, but I swapped in the door tumblers.  This can be accomplished without even taking the door panels off.  Just open the door, pull the retainer, pull the old tumbler gently out enough to pop the e-clip off the back and swap it out for the one from the van.  Just put it all back together.  Probably a 5 minute job per door.  The ignition turns out to be almost the same.  The only difference is the van tumbler lacked the switch to operate the ding function that lets you know the key is in the ignition (a bonus for me).  I even went so far as to take the tailgate switch out and swapped parts around from a van tumbler after prying the outer cover off carefully.  I then reassembled it and the key would operate it, but I still have an issue with the wiring in the tailgate.  I now only need the 1 lock/unlock/start the bronco, and if I had a functioning rear window switch in the gate I could even roll the window up and down.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I do like a single key for the vehicle.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door Locks and Ignition Tubmler

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When my ignition tumbler got loose enough that I could remove the key while running I purchased a set of 3 cylinders from Amazon for a later model pickup.
Name brand and inexpensive.

I really like having just one key.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door Locks and Ignition Tubmler

grumpin
Cool!

My 86 has two keys and my 92 Bronco has two keys. Maybe someday...but I doubt it!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona