3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Borgeson Steering Shaft Install - A probably obvious answer

ckuske
Administrator
Hi All,

Since I saw Blue Top is going out of business, I purcahsed a steering box the other day.  I figured (here comes the layer of the onion) that I should swap our the steering shaft at the same time.

So, I bought a Borgeson.  They (well, CJ Pony Parts) have a good sale going on right now, here:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-steering-shaft-telescopic-steel-ford-truck-1980-1991/p/BRG000985/

Ok, enough of that.  Here comes the question.  My truck currently has 20" wheels with some skinny tires.

My plan was to install my stock 15" wheels with 235/75 R15 (stock) tires as my next plan of action - until I bought the Blue Top instead.

I wouldn't think so, but changing wheels and tires wouldn't affect the length of the steering shaft that I'll need to cut down, right? I am going to install the shaft now, then later move to the 15" wheels.   I would think only lifting or lowering via a suspension kit would affect it.  

But, I've never done it before and I don't want to make a $300 mistake based on a faulty assumption!

Thanks
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Borgeson Steering Shaft Install - A probably obvious answer

Gsmblue
Correct, the steering box is fixed to the frame so unless you do a body lift the distance from the frame to the opening in the firewall will be the same regardless of wheel size.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Borgeson Steering Shaft Install - A probably obvious answer

ckuske
Administrator
It was pretty sure that was the case, but I don't trust myself to intuitively know and I'd rather double check with others.  The whole peer review thing...  

Thank you!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread