Bullnose Forums

Power Distribution Redo

Yes, used harnesses are a great place to look for connectors. Ford cars from the same era can produce connectors that you can use as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm into the harness-pulling-and-checking project, it's going really well. I've got a big mess on my hands but it's been educational to pull everything apart, clean it, fix it, and put it back together. It's much less complicated than I thought.

I've got some moulded connectors that have wire breaks so close to the moulded base that soldering it back together is going to be a very fragile fix. My gut tells me that replacing the connector on both sides with something new/modern is going to be far less effort than junkyard diving for a replacement.

Any experience with that? Any gotchas that I'm not thinking through that could bite me?

Yes, used harnesses are a great place to look for connectors. Ford cars from the same era can produce connectors that you can use as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm into the harness-pulling-and-checking project, it's going really well. I've got a big mess on my hands but it's been educational to pull everything apart, clean it, fix it, and put it back together. It's much less complicated than I thought.

I've got some moulded connectors that have wire breaks so close to the moulded base that soldering it back together is going to be a very fragile fix. My gut tells me that replacing the connector on both sides with something new/modern is going to be far less effort than junkyard diving for a replacement.

Any experience with that? Any gotchas that I'm not thinking through that could bite me?

That question may have been to Ralph, but I'll jump in anyway. Yes, there have been plenty of times I really couldn't salvage a connector. Ford sells some of them via their catalog shown on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Connectors. Or you can go modern and get new connectors like Rusty is doing here. And Amazon sells kits, but watch out that you aren't expecting them to carry a lot of current as most of those are limited to 10 or 12 amps.

I found a source for the DS-II connectors, but many of the others, not as easy. Ford went through several iterations of weatherproofing connectors. Early attempts were to simply fill the connector with a type of grease, which, unfortunately hardens with age and dries out. Next were the molded plug/socket pairs again with a grease to exclude water. I updated all the harnesses on my 1986 F350 to the 90s style, sealed outside connectors that use O-rings or gaskets and rubber plugs with only the needed holes for wires.

I found a source for the DS-II connectors, but many of the others, not as easy. Ford went through several iterations of weatherproofing connectors. Early attempts were to simply fill the connector with a type of grease, which, unfortunately hardens with age and dries out. Next were the molded plug/socket pairs again with a grease to exclude water. I updated all the harnesses on my 1986 F350 to the 90s style, sealed outside connectors that use O-rings or gaskets and rubber plugs with only the needed holes for wires.

Thanks Gary and Bill, that makes me feel more confident about replacing connectors.

After pulling apart the first taped-together-ratsnest-of-wires, I was happy to see that it wasn't as complicated as I thought. Just like untangling a bunch of fishing line.

I put it all back together, crossed my fingers, and fired her up without any issues. I'm going to order some new connectors and some split wire conduit to do a final cleanup and routing of all the harnesses when we swap the engine out this spring.

Thanks Gary and Bill, that makes me feel more confident about replacing connectors.

After pulling apart the first taped-together-ratsnest-of-wires, I was happy to see that it wasn't as complicated as I thought. Just like untangling a bunch of fishing line.

I put it all back together, crossed my fingers, and fired her up without any issues. I'm going to order some new connectors and some split wire conduit to do a final cleanup and routing of all the harnesses when we swap the engine out this spring.

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Glad that you got it up and working.

Yes, I agree with Gary and Bill.

It's best to try and get the Ford connectors for parts compatibility, but sometimes new is the only way possible. Just make sure that the new connectors is rated for the same amp/voltage as the old one.

In the connectors used for our trucks, Ford used White Lithium Grease in the connectors. I bought a pint of it in 1992 and I am still using that same pint. :nabble_smiley_beam: When the connectors get dry, just put more into them.