Bullnose Forums

Aluminum Radiators that aren't junk?

Well, even with the issues it works, right? The fittings don't leak? The shroud fits? If so, that's a win. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the tool, it just keeps you from having to pour in the several gallons of coolant? But causes a big mess if you don't use it correctly? Is it worth it? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I've been driving it... no obvious leaks.

The tool is a vacuum bleeder for cooling systems. The way it's supposed to work is you shove the rubber tip down the radiator neck, pull a vacuum on the system, and hold that for a while to see if there's a leak. If no leak, you insert the tube into a jug of coolant, and open the side valve to use the vacuum to pull in coolant. Idea being that the vacuum eliminates the need to do a traditional bleeding using a lisle funnel. I think if I had held the gun long enough to pull a better vacuum and had 3 gallons of coolant already in a jug (or at least had a container that wouldn't require a hose change and could be topped off as needed) it would have worked better. The mess was my fault for not understanding how the tool works.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been driving it... no obvious leaks.

The tool is a vacuum bleeder for cooling systems. The way it's supposed to work is you shove the rubber tip down the radiator neck, pull a vacuum on the system, and hold that for a while to see if there's a leak. If no leak, you insert the tube into a jug of coolant, and open the side valve to use the vacuum to pull in coolant. Idea being that the vacuum eliminates the need to do a traditional bleeding using a lisle funnel. I think if I had held the gun long enough to pull a better vacuum and had 3 gallons of coolant already in a jug (or at least had a container that wouldn't require a hose change and could be topped off as needed) it would have worked better. The mess was my fault for not understanding how the tool works.

Ok, that makes sense. But on the issue of changing the hose from one container to another, couldn't you close the side valve during the change?

And how do you "shove the rubber tip down the radiator neck" and then pull a vacuum? Are there special caps that have a vacuum fitting?

Ok, that makes sense. But on the issue of changing the hose from one container to another, couldn't you close the side valve during the change?

And how do you "shove the rubber tip down the radiator neck" and then pull a vacuum? Are there special caps that have a vacuum fitting?

The dual-cone rubber tip of the gun seals against the IDs of the radiator neck. A bit fiddly to start but once a vacuum is pulled it works. The new version from MAC has two rubber tips... my "original" only has one, but it fit OK.

The issue of the side valve and changing containers is air getting in the hose. But, maybe that's an overstated issue.

Bottom line: I'd never pay $200+ for one of these... but for the $30 I paid at the estate sale, sure.

The dual-cone rubber tip of the gun seals against the IDs of the radiator neck. A bit fiddly to start but once a vacuum is pulled it works. The new version from MAC has two rubber tips... my "original" only has one, but it fit OK.

The issue of the side valve and changing containers is air getting in the hose. But, maybe that's an overstated issue.

Bottom line: I'd never pay $200+ for one of these... but for the $30 I paid at the estate sale, sure.

Thanks for the explanation. :nabble_smiley_good:

It came in.

Install is stalled and so far a failure.

First, the upper rail doesn't have holes in the right spot for a 1990 fan shroud:

For now, I hillbillied it with zip ties:

Would drilling replacement shroud holes void the warranty?

Anyway, I then ran into a show stopper: Transmission cooler fittings don't match up:

Not even the flare fittings themselves fit. No hardware at all was provided either. The bottom of the box was wide open. Fell out or was stolen at the warehouse?

Late to the party, but Cold-Case has radiators for our trucks they have 1980 - 1984 and 1985-86 options and they come with a life time warranty.

I havent bought mine yet, will be one of the last pieces I buy but it does use 1/4 npt fittings on the 1980-1984 model which I think is the same size of the OE adapters for the transmission cooler lines. At least I hope so if not I will try to find some stainless steel ones close to OE.

The other places that make radiators are good quality as well, they just arent as bolt in as what the Cold-Case radiators are, one im looking at has all the OE mounts to accept the clips in the bottom and the threaded inserts in the top for the OE fan shroud.

Late to the party, but Cold-Case has radiators for our trucks they have 1980 - 1984 and 1985-86 options and they come with a life time warranty.

I havent bought mine yet, will be one of the last pieces I buy but it does use 1/4 npt fittings on the 1980-1984 model which I think is the same size of the OE adapters for the transmission cooler lines. At least I hope so if not I will try to find some stainless steel ones close to OE.

The other places that make radiators are good quality as well, they just arent as bolt in as what the Cold-Case radiators are, one im looking at has all the OE mounts to accept the clips in the bottom and the threaded inserts in the top for the OE fan shroud.

I will disagree as I put the Champion in the 86 I used to have. And there’s one in my Bronco that fits nicely with all attached. Not saying Cold Case aren’t good or anything, but the Champions bolt right in.

I will disagree as I put the Champion in the 86 I used to have. And there’s one in my Bronco that fits nicely with all attached. Not saying Cold Case aren’t good or anything, but the Champions bolt right in.

Champion wasnt a straight forward bolt in for the OP, had to drill holes for the fan shroud. Still others have various levels of bolt in, some bolt in more and some bolt in less. I checked all of the other radiator companies out and they are good radiators, Ive used them at work with lots of success. For me I opted for Cold-Case cause its made exactly like the OE one down to the stamped tanks to mimic the OE copper. They pride themselves on their radiators being indistinguishable from the OE copper once you shoot some black paint on the radiator which I will be doing.

Champion wasnt a straight forward bolt in for the OP, had to drill holes for the fan shroud. Still others have various levels of bolt in, some bolt in more and some bolt in less. I checked all of the other radiator companies out and they are good radiators, Ive used them at work with lots of success. For me I opted for Cold-Case cause its made exactly like the OE one down to the stamped tanks to mimic the OE copper. They pride themselves on their radiators being indistinguishable from the OE copper once you shoot some black paint on the radiator which I will be doing.

True, but it’s a 1990 fan shroud in a 1984 truck. Cold Case was on my radar, it’s good to hear your experience with them.

My Champion was also bolt-in. But Big Blue has a manual tranny so I didn't use the tranny coolant fittings, which is one place that Larry ran into problems.

Might try Cold Case on Dad's truck to save the fittings issue.

My Champion was also bolt-in. But Big Blue has a manual tranny so I didn't use the tranny coolant fittings, which is one place that Larry ran into problems.

Might try Cold Case on Dad's truck to save the fittings issue.

And that too is interesting. My tranny cooling lines hooked right up.