Bullnose Forums

Oil questions

IowaTom

There has been changes to the FL-1A as of late.

The Bypass valves were changed around, etc.

What do you guys make of this video?

That is interesting. I would like to see how the bypasses work. The thinner can concerns me a little.

I use GM, Hastings, Motorcraft, NAPA, Purolator and Wix filters. Usually NAPA.

That is interesting. I would like to see how the bypasses work. The thinner can concerns me a little.

I use GM, Hastings, Motorcraft, NAPA, Purolator and Wix filters. Usually NAPA.

I agree with the counterfeit concerns.

I only buy parts from the dealer, or if I have no other choice, a reputable seller.

Motorcraft making things cheaper like stickers on their filters, doesn't help, in my opinion. Easier to fake etc...

In the old days when they changed designs, they would update part numbers. Not so much anymore.

FL-1 and the FL-1-A are interchangeable as example. Should be up to the FL-1-D by now. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I agree with the counterfeit concerns.

I only buy parts from the dealer, or if I have no other choice, a reputable seller.

Motorcraft making things cheaper like stickers on their filters, doesn't help, in my opinion. Easier to fake etc...

In the old days when they changed designs, they would update part numbers. Not so much anymore.

FL-1 and the FL-1-A are interchangeable as example. Should be up to the FL-1-D by now. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

the idea of counterfeit is concerning. I don't think that way I'm happy to say but then I have been burned before. the latest fl1a I got does Not have the signature ribbed end but instead has the faceted notches for say a cup socket. did I get a counterfeit or an update? now I wonder?

That's a very good point. I've gotten counterfeit things from Amazon, although not Motorcraft - as far as I know. But I don't doubt that they are out there, and Amazon and eBay would be the place to find them.

I have a Ford FL-300 on my 302 currently...it's just a shorter version of the FL-1A. It has the small little ribs like the older filter in the video above. I did buy it from a local Ford dealer.

The video below is the one that spooked me about the counterfeit parts, but it's a couple years old now. It's really just about Motorcraft coils and spark plugs, but it could certainly be done with oil filters easily enough.

Counterfeit OEM parts have been around for quite a while now, especially for Euro stuff like Volkswagens. It's not a big concern of mine, but like the guy says in the video, you have to be careful where you buy this stuff. As he said...Amazon has a few trusted sellers, but EBay generally does not LOL.

I have a Ford FL-300 on my 302 currently...it's just a shorter version of the FL-1A. It has the small little ribs like the older filter in the video above. I did buy it from a local Ford dealer.

The video below is the one that spooked me about the counterfeit parts, but it's a couple years old now. It's really just about Motorcraft coils and spark plugs, but it could certainly be done with oil filters easily enough.

Counterfeit OEM parts have been around for quite a while now, especially for Euro stuff like Volkswagens. It's not a big concern of mine, but like the guy says in the video, you have to be careful where you buy this stuff. As he said...Amazon has a few trusted sellers, but EBay generally does not LOL.

Another way to tell is date stamps.

If the package is from 2012, with a 2020 date stamp on it, for example, that is a possible giveaway. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That video is pretty informative. Ford changes their counterfeit measures from time to time though. Factory Coils from 1999 for instance had yellow "Motorcraft" stickers on them. Wonder if there are other changes?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Looks like they found ways to make it less expensive to manufacture, but added more filter media. So I would think that the new one is slightly better. And if Ford puts them on all of their new vehicles they obviously think they are good.

On the filter, I personally have been weighing the options with the Ford Racing FL1A filter. Its more money than the standard FL1A filter but it's supposed to have a better double anti drain back valve and it has more filter media to the tune of I think this guy who cut his apart was some 8 feet more filter material than the standard FL1A filter.

It is a pricier filter however and has me wondering if I should switch to the Ford-Racing filter before break in or just use the FL1A I planned on and then switch to the Ford Racing filter.

The can on the Ford Racing FL1A filter is thicker than on the standard filter as well as the cap with the threaded end being considerably heavier than the standard FL1A filter.

I came across this when I was trying to order a PF47 filter the other night and found out about the PF47E known as the E-Core filter that uses a plastic core over a steel core to save money, I paid $30 on amazon for two PF47`s since I can't get them locally and I ended up getting sent two PF47E`s which you can buy for $5 per filter.

Does seem like lately every thing has been getting redesigned to save money cause I used to buy these old style filters for $5 a piece at the local auto parts store, just like I could buy a big jug of 10w30 Valvoline to do an oil change for $22 now its all $30+ for conventional. Its a big reason why I take the risk on Amazon cause its the only place you can get the old deals still. I got a jug 5.1 quarts of 10W30 of synthetic blend Valvoline for $22 for my oil change next week.