Bullnose Forums

Hello From SouthWest Arkansas

844rd

Sorry for the delayed responses. I've been on vacation in The Baltic (Russia, Estonia, Poland, etc.) and time and connectivity were limited. But, I'm home as of about midnight last night and can respond - although I may not be coherent for a few days. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, DS-II will work with your carb. The ignition itself isn't actually carb-dependent. But, the advance curve in the distributor is dependent on whether you have EGR or not. So if you aren't going to run EGR then you should try to find a dizzy from a pre-EGR truck. Or, have someone set the dizzy up for non-EGR.

As for another thread, you should start one in the main section as this section is for intro's and doesn't get the views the main section does.

Thanks Gary, I will start one for my truck. I've been reading some on the DSII and it doesn't look look like as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Also I might be able to make it to the get to Oklahoma. I'm a good 5hrs away but could get there by noon, although this year I won't bring my truck, wife and I will drive the Subaru. Hopefully we wont get run out of town bringing a Subaru (maybe should park a few blocks away).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Gary, I will start one for my truck. I've been reading some on the DSII and it doesn't look look like as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Also I might be able to make it to the get to Oklahoma. I'm a good 5hrs away but could get there by noon, although this year I won't bring my truck, wife and I will drive the Subaru. Hopefully we wont get run out of town bringing a Subaru (maybe should park a few blocks away).

We'd love for you to come. And, as for the Subie, we have a 2001 Forester that we bought new, so have a soft spot in our hearts for them. Come on up!

DS-II isn't that big of a deal - if you can find the right engine harness. There's a different harness for DS-II vs TFI, and you want one of the former. But each engine takes a slightly different harness. They are electrically the same, but the various sending units are in different places, as is the distributor, so the wire lengths are what changes. But you can make a harness from a different engine work by adjusting the wire length.

Greetings Mr. 844rd,

Beauty of a truck! Something I'm curious about....

Seeing as how your truck has 2.47 geared rear diff and manual OD trans behind a feedback 300/6, and factory 215 tires...

Does it have a functional shift indicator light?

No shift incinerator light and I don't ever remember seeing on cone on. when I replace the dash lights i will stick one in just to see if it would work. So Gary I've seen new after market market wire harness for DSII over 100 dollars, might be worth if it would fit. It has the connectors and everything.

No shift incinerator light and I don't ever remember seeing on cone on. when I replace the dash lights i will stick one in just to see if it would work. So Gary I've seen new after market market wire harness for DSII over 100 dollars, might be worth if it would fit. It has the connectors and everything.

For 1984, the upshift indicator was located at the upper left end of the dash.

It has the little shift card in it but I never seen it light up. Unless the light went out early in it's life and I just don't remember it.

My '84 has the shift indicator, but no bulb or wiring. It was an option that was only available with the 300/6 and manual trans, and my truck is a factory 302 w/3spd.

Painless makes the harness and it is plug and play. But, it is expensive. If you can find a factory one from a salvage or someone on here then it'll probably cost a lot less. However, the factory wires are getting brittle, so watch out for breaks in the insulation.

Painless makes the harness and it is plug and play. But, it is expensive. If you can find a factory one from a salvage or someone on here then it'll probably cost a lot less. However, the factory wires are getting brittle, so watch out for breaks in the insulation.

This seems to be less expensive than the one offered by Painless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Autowire-Ignition-Box-Wiring-Harness-Duraspark-Magnetic-Ford-Each/332100601052?epid=629350987&hash=item4d52bd04dc:g:WUYAAOSw-xVaBjBK:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!40475!US!-1

Hmmm... it appears that the American-Autowire-wiring does not include a resister?