Bullnose Forums

Stripped Water Pump Bolt

I think replacing it is the right thing to do. And I like Cloyes, although I wouldn't mind an Eddie or Comp.

Thanks Gary! Ordered the Edel.

Today will try to turn the enging over to line up the sprockets—never done this before, so not sure how difficult this is to get the dots aligned.

Cheers to you!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think replacing it is the right thing to do. And I like Cloyes, although I wouldn't mind an Eddie or Comp.

Thanks Gary! Ordered the Edel.

Today will try to turn the enging over to line up the sprockets—never done this before, so not sure how difficult this is to get the dots aligned.

Cheers to you!

As long as you don’t turn the engine after you align the dots it doesn’t matter if it is on #1 TDC or not. Align the dots, and when you have the new chain and sprockets swap w/o turning the engine.

As long as you don’t turn the engine after you align the dots it doesn’t matter if it is on #1 TDC or not. Align the dots, and when you have the new chain and sprockets swap w/o turning the engine.

Here is about as close as i can get, but I am not sure as close as I can get is good enough.

I have been in this position twice trying to get it exact…one more touch of the key and it passes by…right now I am about one tooth off here.

IMG_2287.thumb.jpeg.65c973a75cd562862cb45dc71a033446.jpeg

Here is about as close as i can get, but I am not sure as close as I can get is good enough.

I have been in this position twice trying to get it exact…one more touch of the key and it passes by…right now I am about one tooth off here.

Pull the spark plugs out. That will remove the compression that is pushing you past TDC.

Pull the spark plugs out. That will remove the compression that is pushing you past TDC.

Well that was an adventure. Pulled the plugs, and it made it more difficult to get it right because of the free spin. Took me a while and many rotations to get it right, and a lot of tricky key work.

BUT, this looks better!

IMG_2291.thumb.jpeg.f0636b81c519a32fadcda6354b85f8c5.jpeg

Well that was an adventure. Pulled the plugs, and it made it more difficult to get it right because of the free spin. Took me a while and many rotations to get it right, and a lot of tricky key work.

BUT, this looks better!

Key? I use a 15/16" socket on the crank bolt, gently inserted back in the crank. W/o the plugs in the engine usually rotates fairly easily.

Anyway, that is better. :nabble_smiley_good:

Key? I use a 15/16" socket on the crank bolt, gently inserted back in the crank. W/o the plugs in the engine usually rotates fairly easily.

Bah, I meant touching the ignition/key just right to rotate the engine.

I was afraid, TBH, of breaking that bolt, but I thought of it! I may do it tomorrow, because I think I am still, 1/8th off.

I finger tightened the spark plugs so as to prevent moisture from entering tonight. Easy to get them all back out and tweak with that bolt…well sorta easy. Those back plus #4 & #8, are a bear!

BTW, I have been going through slowly your Big Blue thread. I am learning a lot—and I still want your front bumper. :nabble_anim_claps:

Bah, I meant touching the ignition/key just right to rotate the engine.

I was afraid, TBH, of breaking that bolt, but I thought of it! I may do it tomorrow, because I think I am still, 1/8th off.

I finger tightened the spark plugs so as to prevent moisture from entering tonight. Easy to get them all back out and tweak with that bolt…well sorta easy. Those back plus #4 & #8, are a bear!

BTW, I have been going through slowly your Big Blue thread. I am learning a lot—and I still want your front bumper. :nabble_anim_claps:

You won't break the bolt. I use it frequently to turn an engine over with the plugs in, so w/o the plugs it should be easy.

If you are going through that whole thread you have too much time on time on your hands! I went through over 100 pages today to find out what brand of insulation I used on the air inlet system so I could buy some more. (The search feature worked but I couldn't find it in the results.) Man, that is a huge thread! But, then, a lot has been done to that truck.

Anyway, welcome. Happy to help.

You won't break the bolt. I use it frequently to turn an engine over with the plugs in, so w/o the plugs it should be easy.

If you are going through that whole thread you have too much time on time on your hands! I went through over 100 pages today to find out what brand of insulation I used on the air inlet system so I could buy some more. (The search feature worked but I couldn't find it in the results.) Man, that is a huge thread! But, then, a lot has been done to that truck.

Anyway, welcome. Happy to help.

I often have people want to do this all by the starter. I never do! I always turn the crank manually. the crank bolt is the way. a close second is a socket made for this specifically and third would be a large adjustable wrench which can do the same thing when it "hangs" on the keyway. I just do the last one as a last resort to move small amounts. just be sure to use Sae. the metric adjustables don't quite fit.:nabble_anim_confused: