Bullnose Forums

Stripped Water Pump Bolt

Yes, it is.

Ahh, OK, my bad. I thought it was one of these two bottom bolts which look to be the ones that thread into the timing cover and not the block.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129569/bra-1648_jr_xl.jpg

I am thinking based on my edit to that response, that you might be correct. Stand by, I have now isolated it between ALL the gaskets, and a shot of my front cover—I think I was wrong in my insistence it goes into the block….stand by.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a 400 I found on the web. You might be able to guestimate where the bolt lives. To me it looks like it goes through the timing cover and into the block. https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129536/FOR-LONG-6.jpg

Cover the front of your engine with saran wrap before you start drilling. Additionally a magnet taped to the outside of a plastic bag can catch all the metal shavings.

This matches with my brief look at the cover, and noticing there is a block behind that hole in particular.

GREAT idea on saran wrap and magnets!

Ordered the 5/16-18 heli coil today.

Some folks have suggested maybe there is a larger bolt in that one spot only. I am inclined to say, not in my case.

Here is Gary’s Diagrams—note the 351C/M 400, and 460) are the same. The part list notes that they are all 5/16-18 AS REQUIRED. Which means they are all the same size for those two engines:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/water-pump-s--illustrations.html

I add: I ran the tap through a couple of other holes, and it went smoothly, and had the same fit as the hole I am having tropuble with.

Does the heli-coil come with the needed tap? It is a special tap.

Yes, it is.

Ahh, OK, my bad. I thought it was one of these two bottom bolts which look to be the ones that thread into the timing cover and not the block.

I am thinking based on my edit to that response, that you might be correct. Stand by, I have now isolated it between ALL the gaskets, and a shot of my front cover—I think I was wrong in my insistence it goes into the block….stand by.

OK, I think YOU all are right—Based on location it HAS to be plate only? And not screw into the block. The upper bolt definitely goes into the block. I double checked with my pics I took, and with the pump, + the TWO gaskets I have on hand.

I want to thank everyone for making me better at this—all of you are immense help.

I will confirm all this with pics and hand out awards to those who got it right.:nabble_anim_handshake:

See pics below:

IMG_2265.thumb.jpeg.e8d159838b25c099f938d80ec80d0603.jpegIMG_2260.thumb.jpeg.9c04bfda2d077d1672534d05c459078b.jpeg

Yes, it is.

Sorry for all the posts—I found a rather nice pic of a 351m/c

This really helped me, and Rembrant and ArdWrknTrk and mat in tn (also 85lebaront2).

All you had it right. I think I was off one hole. Thank you all for making me check twice, 3 times.

Here is the pic:

351.thumb.jpg.77c333c030f085185adffe306ac1658a.jpg

This really helped me, and Rembrant and ArdWrknTrk and mat in tn (also 85lebaront2).

All you had it right. I think I was off one hole. Thank you all for making me check twice, 3 times.

Here is the pic:

after seeing the picture of the cover from pro comp. I think i would order that if i was to ever need my cover off again. that seems like a problem solver redesign.

Here is the pic:

None of us wanted you to mess things up. Now you see how the threads are made in the 335 series timing covers. I think Ford stole the idea from Oldsmobile, complete with the vertical fuel pump bolt orientation.

after seeing the picture of the cover from pro comp. I think i would order that if i was to ever need my cover off again. that seems like a problem solver redesign.

read the few reviews of the Pro Comp. Not a great fit. The Summit one is laser cut. I would like to see more reviews though.

I will decide what to do after I get this cover off. I may replace it, and if I do, I will likely go with the more expensive Summit cover. Great reviews on that and near perfection on the fit to OEM.

read the few reviews of the Pro Comp. Not a great fit. The Summit one is laser cut. I would like to see more reviews though.

I will decide what to do after I get this cover off. I may replace it, and if I do, I will likely go with the more expensive Summit cover. Great reviews on that and near perfection on the fit to OEM.

if that is a concern then I will just weld flange nuts to the back of the oe cover.

if that is a concern then I will just weld flange nuts to the back of the oe cover.

This is definitely one thing I am going to look into doing.

Based on all the great advice here, I cannot see a way other than grinding down the braze-on bolt, and re-welding a new nut in its place.

However, there is some, shall we say, pitting on the cover. I may just replace it. I hope to know more this week when I remove it.