Bullnose Forums

1984 F-250 6.9/420 IDI Diesel, 4spd Manual Modification

Coco

What are your guys' thoughts on wheel spacers? I cant lift my truck yet, I decided im focusing on rebuilding it right now so it drives and functions properly, but I want to bump the tire size up a size or two, when I get a new set, something she needs desperately.

Im pretty sure it has the front leaf suspension in the front, and I dont want bigger tires running into it and ruining it.

Are there specific sizes I should stay away from, or anything specific like that? Searching online is just a bunch of people saying it's great and amazing, and then a bunch of people saying it will destroy my steering and driving

What are your guys' thoughts on wheel spacers? I cant lift my truck yet, I decided im focusing on rebuilding it right now so it drives and functions properly, but I want to bump the tire size up a size or two, when I get a new set, something she needs desperately.

Im pretty sure it has the front leaf suspension in the front, and I dont want bigger tires running into it and ruining it.

Are there specific sizes I should stay away from, or anything specific like that? Searching online is just a bunch of people saying it's great and amazing, and then a bunch of people saying it will destroy my steering and driving

that's a pretty loaded question. opinions a plenty when it comes to wheels and tires and tastes are different too. let's start with paying a little respect to the engineers at ford who chose them for stock. and let's keep in mind that we are talking about rolling down the highway on four gyroscopes. each rotating as a balanced unit which includes the axles and brake assemblies. every change that you make will have an adverse effect. whether enough to be a problem or not is yet to be determined. adding spacers moves the gyroscope off center from the inner rotating assembly and will give the wheels more leverage against the driver. so, it has its limits before it gets annoying or even dangerous. that said, I have 32x11.5/15 on 15x10 wheels on my lifted 86 sb. 2wd. they were 33s when I bought the truck in 91. it also had a 3" body lift. I removed the body lift and installed a four-inch suspension lift. no comparison! suspension lift all the way! it's worth the money to save up and do it right the first time. keep in mind also that if you are seriously looking at doing all of this modification you may want to at least investigate getting rid of the king pin axle and going with a more service friendly ball joint one. doing a body lift is certainly less expensive but it has its own quirks to deal with and too often we find them hacked or not properly finished and problems can be from electrical issues to cooling problems. many will say it's no big deal and one day I may have also.