Bullnose Forums

7.3 IDI COMPRESSED AIR STARTER

Ray Cecil

Part of my truck build is to include an air starter. I've read a few vague online posts stating that there were air starters on some 7.3idi generators and other industrial grade equipment used in harsh northern climates.

Googling "7.3idi air starter" doesn't really produce any part numbers, or any definite information on where to buy, or what to buy.

I think, I need to identify the flange type on the starter that mounts onto the block, and the starter gear size, and maybe try to find an air starter that could work.....

My hope is that someone on here has a resource, or some obscure knowledge hidden in a manual somewhere that could give me clues on what to look for.

Thanks for any help.

Ray - I've looked in the 1980/1989 Light Trucks MPC and the 1980 on Truck Series 600/900 MPC and don't find any mention of a compressed air starter. Sorry.

Do you have anything that calls out a flange type, tooth count, or anything about the regular 6.9/7.3 starters?

No, it just lists part numbers, not details.

Ok. I'll keep digging. I want to make this truck CME/EMP proof. Maybe I'm just paranoid (likely), or want to brag I have an air start 7.3 (likely). I've got a healthy electric start system, but if an EMP or Solar blast occurs.....I need a manual way to start it.

Ok. I'll keep digging. I want to make this truck CME/EMP proof. Maybe I'm just paranoid (likely), or want to brag I have an air start 7.3 (likely). I've got a healthy electric start system, but if an EMP or Solar blast occurs.....I need a manual way to start it.

Your diesel has no electronics - right? The battery nor the starter will be hurt by an EMP, so I think you are fine.

Your diesel has no electronics - right? The battery nor the starter will be hurt by an EMP, so I think you are fine.

EMP it'll be OK, probably...it depends on how big a CME is. The earth's magnetic field is currently in a weakened state, down about 25% in strength, and the magnetic poles are wandering. A Carrington level or greater CME could disable anything with copper wires. I'd have to go full mechanical start, and mechanical shut off for the IP.

EMP it'll be OK, probably...it depends on how big a CME is. The earth's magnetic field is currently in a weakened state, down about 25% in strength, and the magnetic poles are wandering. A Carrington level or greater CME could disable anything with copper wires. I'd have to go full mechanical start, and mechanical shut off for the IP.

Oh, you are worried a CME. That's a different story. All I can say is "Good luck."

For what it's worth, a Carrington level event or greater would take out the entire earth's electric grid right now. I think our electric world is living on borrowed time. It's a good idea to harden against these threats, both from our sun, and from Nuclear Warfare.

Eventually, one or the other is going to get us....not sure which, or when, but I'd say it doesn't take much digging to find out that we are at greater risk of these things happening than most people are aware of, or care to admit.

Oh, you are worried a CME. That's a different story. All I can say is "Good luck."

Worried? No. Is it in the back of my head? Yes. I've been studying sun cycles awhile now, and I'm much more concerned about it now. My wife has AFIB, that's how I got into it. I was looking for possible causes and solutions to help her naturally, and cosmic radiation as a confounder kept popping up. Forces outside and inside our planet are for sure having effects on our health. Those with conditions like afib are more sensitive to cosmic radiation.