Bullnose Forums

RPM sensor wires spliced?

kcinga

I did see this information online in regards to VSS and E4OD transmissions: “ 89-91 T cases use a VSS speedo cable combo”. So, if I get a Baumann Quick 4, it’s possible that I have everything I need to get E4OD transmission working on my 1986 F-350 6.9l diesel, right?

Yes, I believe so, but you'll have to confirm what year or generation your transmission is before ordering a Quick4 controller. They come with different harnesses for the different gen transmissions, so make sure you get that part right. They have a good picture guide showing the different connectors.

I'm still a bit confused on the speedometer cable/VSS combo and why the Quick4 needs it. The E4OD should have a speed sensor already built in, and there's a plug in the Quick4 harness for it. Maybe there is something different with the 1989-1991 E4OD regarding this as it still used the cable speedo in those early years. I know the 1992-up transmissions will have an integrated speed sensor, but maybe the 1989-1991 E4OD does not, and the VSS is located in the cable.

This truck is a 2wd correct?

Does this E4OD have a speedometer cable drive in the tail housing?

Yes, it is 2wd… or more precise, a dually. I think it does have a spedo cable at the tail end of the transmission. It shows 2 cables and I think one on top is spedo.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is optional. Pin 12

See page 33 of the setup manual.

Pin 12 is a digital speedometer output though, not input. It's for connecting to a speedometer with a digital/VSS input. I plan on using this myself.

You can input a tach signal though...it is not required, but it is optional. I'm not sure if it's beneficial or not.

I don' t think there's any speed signal inputs required for the controller...not that I'm aware of at least. I don't know anything about the E4OD, so all I have been reading about is the 4R70W that I have.

E4OD does use a speed signal in addition to RPM and TPS to decide when to shift up or down and whether to apply or release the converter clutch. Here is the transmission speed sensor (now removed) on Darth. Speed sense is now from the rear axle 120 tooth tone ring.

IMGP0928a.thumb.jpg.d4199067cff950c3ce7e95f05d210aec.jpg

E4OD does use a speed signal in addition to RPM and TPS to decide when to shift up or down and whether to apply or release the converter clutch. Here is the transmission speed sensor (now removed) on Darth. Speed sense is now from the rear axle 120 tooth tone ring.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129188/IMGP0928a.jpg

So that's a gear driven sensor on the 1989-1991 E4OD, and then from 1992-up the sensor is still there but not gear driven, is that right? I thought the piggy-back sensors on the cable drives were only for cruise control prior to 1992.

I guess that is why I was confused about the E4OD. Since the Quick4 controller can be used with both, I keep comparing the E4OD with the AOD-E or AOD-E/W (4R70W) that I have. The AOD-E only came out in 1992 and never did have a cable driven speedo. The E4OD did have a cable driven speedometer, at least from 1989-1991. So when the "VSS" moved to the rear differential in 1992, that was just for the speedometer signal, right?

I was wondering why Quick4 for the E4OD needed a "VSS" signal input if the 4R70W did not, and I guess it just comes down to the terms being used.

Don't mind me gentlemen...I'm just being confused with things I shouldn't even be involved in lol. I think I got it now, and I'll stay out of it.

• 1 month later...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129188/IMGP0928a.jpg

So that's a gear driven sensor on the 1989-1991 E4OD, and then from 1992-up the sensor is still there but not gear driven, is that right? I thought the piggy-back sensors on the cable drives were only for cruise control prior to 1992.

I guess that is why I was confused about the E4OD. Since the Quick4 controller can be used with both, I keep comparing the E4OD with the AOD-E or AOD-E/W (4R70W) that I have. The AOD-E only came out in 1992 and never did have a cable driven speedo. The E4OD did have a cable driven speedometer, at least from 1989-1991. So when the "VSS" moved to the rear differential in 1992, that was just for the speedometer signal, right?

I was wondering why Quick4 for the E4OD needed a "VSS" signal input if the 4R70W did not, and I guess it just comes down to the terms being used.

Don't mind me gentlemen...I'm just being confused with things I shouldn't even be involved in lol. I think I got it now, and I'll stay out of it.

It’s been a while, but I’m attempting to pick this back up again. I called Baumann to get more information.

My 1989 E4OD transmission has an early transmission connector and an analog range sensor (8-pin, black). It has a couple of cables in rear of transmission for spedo. So, I think I have enough information to order transmission controller and wiring harness.

I’m told that I‘ll need a throttle (TPS) sensor as well (Baumann doesn’t sell this part) on injection pump. As far as I can tell, I don’t see one on my 6.9 diesel. He said it should be on passenger side with 3 wires going into it. If not there, I would have to order the part for 7.3 diesel and install on my 6.9 diesel. Is this correct?

It’s been a while, but I’m attempting to pick this back up again. I called Baumann to get more information.

My 1989 E4OD transmission has an early transmission connector and an analog range sensor (8-pin, black). It has a couple of cables in rear of transmission for spedo. So, I think I have enough information to order transmission controller and wiring harness.

I’m told that I‘ll need a throttle (TPS) sensor as well (Baumann doesn’t sell this part) on injection pump. As far as I can tell, I don’t see one on my 6.9 diesel. He said it should be on passenger side with 3 wires going into it. If not there, I would have to order the part for 7.3 diesel and install on my 6.9 diesel. Is this correct?

One of the early pictures shows a TPS sensor on the side of the injection pump. FWIW, both Ford and GM used Roosamaster injection pumps on their Diesels and GM used either mechanical throttle control (THM200, THM700R4) or vacuum and an electric downshift (THM350, THM400) Ford used vacuum on the C6 with a mechanical downshift or full mechanical (AOD), then went electronic controls.