Bullnose Forums

Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis

Thanks, Bill. I'll try to seal things as best I can, and if on the first round of overlanding we find that the engine misses badly then I'll see about going to an electric fan that can be turned off.

As for sealing, I've used Dow grease on the spark plugs, but should use it on the dizzy as well as the coil and plug wires.

Gary,

Here is a different project that could solve your water/intake issue and amuse you for a while.

One more step in Big Blue's transformation.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

D8E21AAC-13B0-49BC-ADF1-DC7B733734B2.jpeg.ffb86f2019e3f52059e31e0993159ce6.jpeg

Just have to design a telescopic ladder to jump in-out the cab and the bed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

Here is a different project that could solve your water/intake issue and amuse you for a while.

One more step in Big Blue's transformation.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Just have to design a telescopic ladder to jump in-out the cab and the bed.

That might do it! Something like 50" tires would raise the air inlet by (50-33)/2 = 8 1/2". Wait! Wouldn't it be easier to just move the air inlet up 12"? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

easier is for sissies. go big or go home. unless home is on the other side of the river.

Matt - I'm a sissy when it comes to the drivability of something like that. Gotta drive it from here to "there", wherever "there" is, and back again. Plus put gas in it, and that height would surely dramatically increase the aero drag. Then there's the effective gear ratio problem. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Jeff - Gotta get this thing ready for our outting, which is in a month or two. No time to totally mess things up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Bill. I'll try to seal things as best I can, and if on the first round of overlanding we find that the engine misses badly then I'll see about going to an electric fan that can be turned off.

As for sealing, I've used Dow grease on the spark plugs, but should use it on the dizzy as well as the coil and plug wires.

The distributor issue is not about sealing the wires, it is about keeping water out of the internals. A couple of thoughts, GM on the new LT1 engines, moved the distributor to a location between the water pump and block. These have a pretty well sealed inside area (until the water pump seal goes) and are connected with one or two hoses to the air inlet area. These are to purge anything that leaks into the distributor.

If you take a 460 distributor (I will look at one of my spares later) and put a small hole with a nipple on the low side (should be the side near the water neck) and have that go through a small line to the area behind the throttle body and a second one on the distributor to the intake ahead of the throttle body, then seal cap to adapter to distributor, any leakage into the distributor would be promptly scavenged by manifold vacuum, even at a good throttle opening.

Fan, 1996 T-Bird has one that will cover 3/4 of the truck radiator and is a two speed unit.

Gotta get this thing ready for our outting, which is in a month or two. No time to totally mess things up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I admit this is probably a wise decision. Not for the truck lifting job, which I consider a really easy project for you (maybe too simple?).

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Indeed, I just realized that the main challenge would be that you'll cannot lift that monster without bumping your garage ceiling, and have to change your garage door too.

That's the real time consuming part of the project. No chance to take, cannot afford to miss that exciting ride with your son.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Matt - I'm a sissy when it comes to the drivability of something like that. Gotta drive it from here to "there", wherever "there" is, and back again. Plus put gas in it, and that height would surely dramatically increase the aero drag. Then there's the effective gear ratio problem. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Jeff - Gotta get this thing ready for our outting, which is in a month or two. No time to totally mess things up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

im still amazed at how many home grown monster trucks get built. i really love the stance that most lifted trucks had in the 70s. the tire sizes looked appropriate. and omg. 6 whole inches of lift! having a "baja" style was near extreme compared to the "big foot" phase.

im still amazed at how many home grown monster trucks get built. i really love the stance that most lifted trucks had in the 70s. the tire sizes looked appropriate. and omg. 6 whole inches of lift! having a "baja" style was near extreme compared to the "big foot" phase.

Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems. But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.

Matt - What's wrong with the snorkel/inlet on your bench? I'm pretty sure I'll have to make mods to it, so maybe I don't need a perfect one? And checking around here hasn't found any, yet, although the local salvage is closed at the moment.

Jeff - I have Big Blue just about where I want him. The SAS/RSK job lifted it just right so that with the 4" F350 block in the rear it is level. And the 33's give me enough clearance and yet reasonable wind drag on the highway.

Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems. But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.

Matt - What's wrong with the snorkel/inlet on your bench? I'm pretty sure I'll have to make mods to it, so maybe I don't need a perfect one? And checking around here hasn't found any, yet, although the local salvage is closed at the moment.

Jeff - I have Big Blue just about where I want him. The SAS/RSK job lifted it just right so that with the 4" F350 block in the rear it is level. And the 33's give me enough clearance and yet reasonable wind drag on the highway.

9AA38571-235D-47E9-BB7E-BF7E9C246829.jpeg.7c692d5acf33f0bc705b526135881a58.jpeg52CD5070-E8EB-47AD-B109-9E04F488CAA7.jpeg.ccf50a330fa727577c0407a9d3281c18.jpegB79B1EA4-3EDA-4009-A0CF-B8487BEEEBB6.jpeg.bc8e7f17af964567a07eea9aa9e6de36.jpeg