Bullnose Forums

Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that exactly it. Thanks, David!

But I'm going to call a salvage that we'll be passing on our way to Owasso later today and see if they have one. If not that one might be on order soon. :nabble_smiley_good:

Turns out they are closed today but open tomorrow, and since we are going by there on Thursday as well I may wait until tomorrow to find out if they have one.

But I've found a conundrum. That eBay posting says it is for 1987-96 trucks and the ID # is F4TE 9E635-AA. So I thought I'd find the part number and see if anyone has one new.

Obviously that specific part was designed in '94, but I thought I might find a close fit and I found this entry in the 1980-89 MPC. (Note that generic PN 9C675 refers you back to generic PN 9A624).

9A626_Header.thumb.jpg.e62d6b67dd60f2523608a7c01084fadb.jpg9A626_9E635_87_On_Entry.thumb.jpg.67576cc9dcf98b67bb2663d4e37c0103.jpg9C675_Header.thumb.jpg.9d77c0df46ddc05a531cb7da305099f7.jpg

That appears to say that E7TZ 9C675-F fits F-Series 302's from 1987 through the end of the catalog, which is '89. But that's at odds with the Illustration section which shows that for 1987 & 8 there was a bizarre inlet system that pre-heated the air for the Windsors. Has anyone seen one of those?

1987-88_302_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.e6059d9f27d3b83a6ce705e6facd4425.jpg1989_On_Windsor_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.89d98807f7acb7317d3d09b38d0716b5.jpg

Turns out they are closed today but open tomorrow, and since we are going by there on Thursday as well I may wait until tomorrow to find out if they have one.

But I've found a conundrum. That eBay posting says it is for 1987-96 trucks and the ID # is F4TE 9E635-AA. So I thought I'd find the part number and see if anyone has one new.

Obviously that specific part was designed in '94, but I thought I might find a close fit and I found this entry in the 1980-89 MPC. (Note that generic PN 9C675 refers you back to generic PN 9A624).

That appears to say that E7TZ 9C675-F fits F-Series 302's from 1987 through the end of the catalog, which is '89. But that's at odds with the Illustration section which shows that for 1987 & 8 there was a bizarre inlet system that pre-heated the air for the Windsors. Has anyone seen one of those?

it is odd that they reference the exact part number. I do have one of those on the workbench but it's not perfect. I have not had the chance to go check storage yet as family is here.

Yes, I'm talking about the duct that comes out of the box, goes in front of the A/C compressor, and up to the top of the core support. If you have one I'd like to buy it from you as it would save me from finding one in a salvage here.

The 460's and IDI's get their air through the core support, as shown below. The shot on the left shows it from the front inside the red oval, and the shot on the right shows the insulated duct going beside the radiator.

The Powerstrokes in 1994.5-1997 get their air from a duct over top of the left battery.

The Powerstrokes in 1994.5-1997 get their air from a duct over top of the left battery.

Thanks, Matt. If I can find one locally tomorrow then that'll save shipping. But if not maybe your "imperfect" one would be good? What's wrong with it?

Bill - Any pics? I can't get my head around that.

Well, I have the same manual so maybe I can find it? :nabble_anim_working:

Yep, found it. But the PowerStroke uses a completely different air cleaner arrangement that doesn't look like it would be easy to adapt.

And another thing I noted is that the 4.9L and 7.5L got the rather straight, through the core support tube, and the Windsors, including the Lightning, used the over-the-radiator approach. That seems to fit nicely with my expectation that the length of the engine is why the over-the-radiator approach wouldn't fit.

7.thumb.jpg.41cbbdbce7fb4b1ca144c86322d9156a.jpg7.thumb.jpg.41cbbdbce7fb4b1ca144c86322d9156a.jpg

Two_7.jpg.e78ab7bca55fe4505d389f042df6a2a4.jpg

Yep, found it. But the PowerStroke uses a completely different air cleaner arrangement that doesn't look like it would be easy to adapt.

And another thing I noted is that the 4.9L and 7.5L got the rather straight, through the core support tube, and the Windsors, including the Lightning, used the over-the-radiator approach. That seems to fit nicely with my expectation that the length of the engine is why the over-the-radiator approach wouldn't fit.

I am going to toss another monkey wrench or two in the box (along with the snakes, worms etc.), First, fan, once it starts thrashing water, it drags horribly and throws it everywhere. This includes the distributor. Water, especially dirty water, conducts electricity, DS-II and TFI systems are, like a GM HEI very high voltage, so crossfire becomes an issue. After leaving your deep water crossing, as everything warms back up. this "pool" in the distributor bowl will evaporate and re-condense in the cooler cap making things quite exciting.

Military tactical vehicles have sealed ignition systems, even the plug cables are sealed, like airplanes. Both are designed to remain functioning in either driving rain or actually under water. COP or Coil near plug systems could probably do well as the bulk of the wiring is 12V rather than 25-50KV.

I am going to toss another monkey wrench or two in the box (along with the snakes, worms etc.), First, fan, once it starts thrashing water, it drags horribly and throws it everywhere. This includes the distributor. Water, especially dirty water, conducts electricity, DS-II and TFI systems are, like a GM HEI very high voltage, so crossfire becomes an issue. After leaving your deep water crossing, as everything warms back up. this "pool" in the distributor bowl will evaporate and re-condense in the cooler cap making things quite exciting.

Military tactical vehicles have sealed ignition systems, even the plug cables are sealed, like airplanes. Both are designed to remain functioning in either driving rain or actually under water. COP or Coil near plug systems could probably do well as the bulk of the wiring is 12V rather than 25-50KV.

Thanks, Bill. I'll try to seal things as best I can, and if on the first round of overlanding we find that the engine misses badly then I'll see about going to an electric fan that can be turned off.

As for sealing, I've used Dow grease on the spark plugs, but should use it on the dizzy as well as the coil and plug wires.