Bullnose Forums

Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems. But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.

Gary, going here and there, I felt on this (LMC).

Don't know if relevant for water protection when crossing a watercourse.

E5F76A74-851B-483C-A04D-8F690AF03865.thumb.jpeg.4891d08d85fae625b37264b8577a49a7.jpeg

Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems. But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.

Gary, going here and there, I felt on this (LMC).

Don't know if relevant for water protection when crossing a watercourse.

That's an interesting find, Jeff. Here's a link to the Distributor Boot on LMC.

However, the advert is very confusing. It shows that boot with a DuraSpark distributor with the large cap, but it then says under Vehicle Application that it includes parts for vehicles from 1957 to 1972. And if I remember correctly the DuraSpark dizzy with the large cap didn't come out until later, like 1978.

So I don't know if it'll fit. And I think LMC has confusing info on their page. So I'm going to tag Mr. Ford @ LMC, aka Keith/FORDification, to see what he thinks.

Keith - Does that boot fit the large-cap dizzy? Or does it fit the smaller one, like all of the vehicles in the application list have?

Matt - Thanks, but that has a few more flaws than I can deal with. If I can't find one in a salvage here I'll order the one that David found. Thanks again.

that was my thought exactly. I have it for reference but it's not going on a vehicle. though it may find itself modified one day should a need or theory arise. maybe a little vent could fix:nabble_thinking-26_orig: it right up

that was my thought exactly. I have it for reference but it's not going on a vehicle. though it may find itself modified one day should a need or theory arise. maybe a little vent could fix:nabble_thinking-26_orig: it right up

Matt - Can you post some pics of it? Can you put it on a dizzy for the pics? I'm curious how it goes on and might be interested in one if it looks like it could seal up the dizzy.

However, the advert is very confusing. It shows that boot with a DuraSpark distributor with the large cap, but it then says under Vehicle Application that it includes parts for vehicles from 1957 to 1972. And if I remember correctly the DuraSpark dizzy with the large cap didn't come out until later, like 1978.

So I don't know if it'll fit. And I think LMC has confusing info on their page. So I'm going to tag Mr. Ford @ LMC, aka Keith/FORDification, to see what he thinks.

Keith - Does that boot fit the large-cap dizzy? Or does it fit the smaller one, like all of the vehicles in the application list have?

1977 on DS-II, that was what my 1977 F150 had with the 300 six, I converted a 1976 390 camper special distributor to DS-II by adding the cap, rotor and cap adapter. I believe I have seen a similar boot used on trucks and cars where water splashing was an issue.

1977 on DS-II, that was what my 1977 F150 had with the 300 six, I converted a 1976 390 camper special distributor to DS-II by adding the cap, rotor and cap adapter. I believe I have seen a similar boot used on trucks and cars where water splashing was an issue.

Thanks, Bill. I couldn’t remember but knew my ‘72 didn’t have the large cap.

So that proves the point - the advert shows a distributor that none of the vehicles in the list had.

Thanks, Bill. I couldn’t remember but knew my ‘72 didn’t have the large cap.

So that proves the point - the advert shows a distributor that none of the vehicles in the list had.

Ok, I've called around the area and cannot find that snorkel/air inlet so I pulled the trigger on the one David found. (Thanks again, David.) Should be here by Jan 4th.

Matt - Can you post some pics of it? Can you put it on a dizzy for the pics? I'm curious how it goes on and might be interested in one if it looks like it could seal up the dizzy.

I don't have the dist cover on hand. the last one I had was on mustang gt many years ago but making a diaper as we use to call it is not difficult if you are considering one as a "splash guard". looking in a fox body forum may lead you to one .

The distributor boot pictured above from LMC will fit either the small cap or the large cap, but it IS actually sized for the large cap, and is OEM Ford stock straight from the Ford dealer, as these were original equipment on the 1986-1993 Mustang 5.0L. It fits very snug on the large cap, a little looser on the small cap. As noted in the catalog they'll fit distributor caps up to 5" in diameter. The bare big cap is 4-7/16" diameter, the small cap is 3-7/8" diameter.