Bullnose Forums

Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis

I know that many of you don't follow Big Blue's Transformation, and I don't blame you at all because of how long it has been going on. But I'm looking for as much input as I can get on this so am starting a separate thread.

My son and I are getting ready to take Big Blue overlanding where we'll have a number of water crossings. And given that the bottom of the current air inlet is in the middle of the grille and is only 36" off the ground, I fear that we'll pull water into the engine. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So in the Transformation thread we are discussing options. If you want to join that discussion please do so. But I would consider a true snorkel, meaning one that comes through the fender and goes up the windshield, although I cannot find one that appears to fit.

Part of the issue is that few, if any, make a snorkel for a Bullnose truck. But worse is that Big Blue has the later EFI system. So I need one that fits the Bullnose fender shape but attaches to the EFI filter box. It would be something like the pic on the left, below, but be reversed to fit on the driver's fender like shown on the right. And the horizontal part will have to be ~36" long as the center of the air filter box is 33" forward of the front edge of the windshield.

Do any of you know of something like that? Is there a snorkel for the later trucks that might be adapted to a Bullnose?

b58c56eadab790122b76a54cb7d5bc76__06561.thumb.jpg.bac10c7964462f02c8cae0ff50108570.jpg33_Inches_For_Snorkel.thumb.jpg.04f2af062d93a621661cbb66cadf6090.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you considering this as a permanent new feature of big blue? how important is it to have a hood if its only temporary? if you are willing to "swamp" the engine bay then keeping rain out is not a strong point. go topless and add a riser to the box. like they would do in fla. haha

are you considering this as a permanent new feature of big blue? how important is it to have a hood if its only temporary? if you are willing to "swamp" the engine bay then keeping rain out is not a strong point. go topless and add a riser to the box. like they would do in fla. haha

A snorkel would be permanent. And since we'll be driving Big Blue a couple of hundred miles before we get to the trails I don't want to remove the hood. But thanks anyway.

As for Florida, Big Blue is no longer there. He's been rescued. :nabble_smiley_wink:

A snorkel would be permanent. And since we'll be driving Big Blue a couple of hundred miles before we get to the trails I don't want to remove the hood. But thanks anyway.

As for Florida, Big Blue is no longer there. He's been rescued. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm trying to think of any other way besides cutting the fender. like beside the booster into the cowl. I know that was done years ago in nascar. would that give enough height and not be in view? although i like the tricked out, purpose-built look. following the a pillar and having a bit of a rain cap too. possibly even coming out the fender as far back as possible and using turbo style couplings under the hood. are you expecting water inside the cab also?

I'm trying to think of any other way besides cutting the fender. like beside the booster into the cowl. I know that was done years ago in nascar. would that give enough height and not be in view? although i like the tricked out, purpose-built look. following the a pillar and having a bit of a rain cap too. possibly even coming out the fender as far back as possible and using turbo style couplings under the hood. are you expecting water inside the cab also?

I went back and watched the video. I love off roading, "overlanding". that make me want to build one that I don't mind denting. that trail looks to be a lot of fun and taking the time with family is priceless. we have done our share of mudding around here too. but I like the overall adventure including the drive in and out. highway and "no roads".

No water in the cab as we won't need to go that deep. But I don't really want to cut the fender. Yes, I like the purpose-built look, and a snorkel would certainly fit with that. However, cutting that hole doesn't seem like the thing to do.

And there's really no path back to the firewall. With the Hydroboost there are hoses everywhere. So I don't think I can do that either.

What I'm really most interested in is using the one shown in the screen shot below, which I think is from a Windsor. I'm not sure there's enough room between the radiator shroud and the A/C compressor, but I want to give it a try. It'll raise the bottom of the inlet from 36" to 48" above the ground, which should be enough.

You don't happen to have one you'd sell?

Air_Intake_Above_Radiator.thumb.jpg.fe266858ec75ccfc18bae80f23366387.jpg

No water in the cab as we won't need to go that deep. But I don't really want to cut the fender. Yes, I like the purpose-built look, and a snorkel would certainly fit with that. However, cutting that hole doesn't seem like the thing to do.

And there's really no path back to the firewall. With the Hydroboost there are hoses everywhere. So I don't think I can do that either.

What I'm really most interested in is using the one shown in the screen shot below, which I think is from a Windsor. I'm not sure there's enough room between the radiator shroud and the A/C compressor, but I want to give it a try. It'll raise the bottom of the inlet from 36" to 48" above the ground, which should be enough.

if you are referring to the snorkel that comes out of the air box and up to the top of the core support, i may have one. I will need to look. where does yours get the air from now?

if you are referring to the snorkel that comes out of the air box and up to the top of the core support, i may have one. I will need to look. where does yours get the air from now?

Yes, I'm talking about the duct that comes out of the box, goes in front of the A/C compressor, and up to the top of the core support. If you have one I'd like to buy it from you as it would save me from finding one in a salvage here.

The 460's and IDI's get their air through the core support, as shown below. The shot on the left shows it from the front inside the red oval, and the shot on the right shows the insulated duct going beside the radiator.

Present_Air_Inlet_To_Future.thumb.jpg.33a4e03ef9d1acbad0f88d8ff86397a3.jpgLittle_Clearance_For_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.00747d7440df7e58c879a85393621d54.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n128846/Air_Intake_Above_Radiator.jpg

Gary, is this what you are thinking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125642257832?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1a_X8SFAXT5CLWd-fJqgsZQ40&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=125642257832&targetid=1644837435723&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012677&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837435723&abcId=9300842&merchantid=114606889&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltrAq0c6dtbhGbx_LELZ6LAs8OkkGW5IZI9E022jWNBRwJJ0RbFP7sBoC7R0QAvD_BwE

s-l64.png.d971deb1b106658105c354b00c5033cf.png

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n128846/Air_Intake_Above_Radiator.jpg

Gary, is this what you are thinking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125642257832?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1a_X8SFAXT5CLWd-fJqgsZQ40&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=125642257832&targetid=1644837435723&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012677&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837435723&abcId=9300842&merchantid=114606889&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltrAq0c6dtbhGbx_LELZ6LAs8OkkGW5IZI9E022jWNBRwJJ0RbFP7sBoC7R0QAvD_BwE

s-l500.png.6b2acd42526639f724ceb90382b56a7d.png