Bullnose Forums

AOD to 4r70w swap in an 86 Bronco

You'd think that someone who claims to specialize it would have jigs for the common type. I dunno about where you all are, but here in my part of the US, it is SO hard to find someone who actually does things carefully and right. The reviews and pics on the weld shop's web presence looked really good. Oh well. I suppose it's all easy-street from here since nothing else can go wrong with this thing.

to be honest I would bolt it to an engine block and use that as the jig. how much closer to fitting can you get? that's just my take on it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest I would bolt it to an engine block and use that as the jig. how much closer to fitting can you get? that's just my take on it.

Well. That is a bummer. I feel like people are not honest enough about their skills, you were clearly misled.

Hoping you get some Christmas love from Monster transmission.

I have my own stories about a lack of quality workmanship in my town..

Well. That is a bummer. I feel like people are not honest enough about their skills, you were clearly misled.

Hoping you get some Christmas love from Monster transmission.

I have my own stories about a lack of quality workmanship in my town..

So, it looks like Monster will not fix this free of charge. I got my case elevated to the highest level of their customer service, and the best they would do is to take off 25% of the shipping charge. While that is better than what the first few levels of escalation got me, it's still just not what I'm looking for. I want them to take the transmission back and just give me a refund at this point. They won't do that, so I initiated a dispute with my credit card. I hope that some kind of official arbitration process will change their minds or just get me my money back.

I've already lost half the cold season waiting on all kinds of processes related to this transmission debacle. If I keep waiting, I will just end up 4 months later with no truck and a boat anchor of a transmission. I talked to the guy from Baumann (US Shift) that knows everything about transmissions, and ended up asking me what transmission shops he recommends. He recommended Broader Performance in Texas and Transmission Depot in Florida for 4r70w's. Broader seems to build really high-performance stuff, and I need something less aggressive. I ended up just ordering another transmission from Transmission Depot. It ended up being half the price with a much better warranty document, and will be here in 4 weeks.

It sucks that I had to spend $1500 more on another transmission, but my choice was either spend that on a new transmission with another company, or give it to Monster to fix the current one. If I get a refund from Monster, great. If not, I will just swap the internals to another case and I'll have a transmission for another project in the future.

So, it looks like Monster will not fix this free of charge. I got my case elevated to the highest level of their customer service, and the best they would do is to take off 25% of the shipping charge. While that is better than what the first few levels of escalation got me, it's still just not what I'm looking for. I want them to take the transmission back and just give me a refund at this point. They won't do that, so I initiated a dispute with my credit card. I hope that some kind of official arbitration process will change their minds or just get me my money back.

I've already lost half the cold season waiting on all kinds of processes related to this transmission debacle. If I keep waiting, I will just end up 4 months later with no truck and a boat anchor of a transmission. I talked to the guy from Baumann (US Shift) that knows everything about transmissions, and ended up asking me what transmission shops he recommends. He recommended Broader Performance in Texas and Transmission Depot in Florida for 4r70w's. Broader seems to build really high-performance stuff, and I need something less aggressive. I ended up just ordering another transmission from Transmission Depot. It ended up being half the price with a much better warranty document, and will be here in 4 weeks.

It sucks that I had to spend $1500 more on another transmission, but my choice was either spend that on a new transmission with another company, or give it to Monster to fix the current one. If I get a refund from Monster, great. If not, I will just swap the internals to another case and I'll have a transmission for another project in the future.

Sounds like you found a way forward, so that is good news.

Looking forward to updates on how the AOD works out for you.

Did you order a stock one or one of the fancier ones?

Sounds like you found a way forward, so that is good news.

Looking forward to updates on how the AOD works out for you.

Did you order a stock one or one of the fancier ones?

I just got a stock one. My engine is currently stock from the intake down, and future upgrades won't be that aggressive.

That seems like a reasonable solution. But it is a shame about Monster. Hopefully the credit card company will rattle their cage.

While waiting for the actual transmission, I figured I would get things ready for when it arrives. I fabbed up a bracket system for the trans cooler. I made it so the 90-degree AN fittings went in through the former intake hole. The brackets are made from 1.5" 1/8" strap and some 1/2" round tube.

lVWRcVj.thumb.jpg.e237134d594d56c88b55cd6980ea93ad.jpg

t6qBIjw.thumb.jpg.79dd287ebbb8617d2604abc34cc3d3ef.jpg

aOduLaG.jpg.1bc43c424923248830b58437f69c2170.jpg

12U3MG6.jpg.7edb7a41e97837bfe2df286a07c25b2d.jpg

While waiting for the actual transmission, I figured I would get things ready for when it arrives. I fabbed up a bracket system for the trans cooler. I made it so the 90-degree AN fittings went in through the former intake hole. The brackets are made from 1.5" 1/8" strap and some 1/2" round tube.

Looks like it'll work great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice fab work! I like the install in the core support.

What did you use for the lines from the transmission to the cooler? Did you buy a kit? I have to do the same with my 4R70W install, but I bought a Champion radiator that has an integrated transmission cooler (I'm assuming it will be fine?). I have already installed 6-AN fittings in the transmission, and will do the same with the radiator...I just need to order up some lines for it.

Nice fab work! I like the install in the core support.

What did you use for the lines from the transmission to the cooler? Did you buy a kit? I have to do the same with my 4R70W install, but I bought a Champion radiator that has an integrated transmission cooler (I'm assuming it will be fine?). I have already installed 6-AN fittings in the transmission, and will do the same with the radiator...I just need to order up some lines for it.

Thanks!

I just make my own lines. I use PTFE hose and fittings. I got most of the fittings and hose from Summit, where the Summit store brand is cheapest. I just did one big purchase since I am also changing my fuel system over to the same stuff. If you wanted to go with a smaller company, Sh*tbox supply is a little more expensive, but not much. https://shitboxsupply.com/collections/ptfe