Bullnose Forums

1980 Econoline w/Rare Vemco V-Drive 4x4

That’s cool! I’ve read about them but never seen one. Would make a nice project. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope somebody saves it for the drivetrain if nothing else. I don't know much about it, but from what I read it is basically two Dana 30 differentials up front?

Finding parts for the V-Drive would be an issue obviously.

I'd drop a better condition Econoline body on that chassis.

That’s cool! I’ve read about them but never seen one. Would make a nice project. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope somebody saves it for the drivetrain if nothing else. I don't know much about it, but from what I read it is basically two Dana 30 differentials up front?

Finding parts for the V-Drive would be an issue obviously.

I'd drop a better condition Econoline body on that chassis.

Neat bit of history, Cory. Thanks!

I've seen a couple pictures of the setup over the years, but not in the same quality as these are. Definitely an interesting concept. Dana 30s is a surprise considering they are generally used in smaller vehicles like Rangers and Jeeps. But maybe it was a space constraint reason.

Neat bit of history, Cory. Thanks!

Ya, I don't know much about them myself, but I know they're super rare. I don't even know what years they existed, but most 4x4 conversion vans had solid front axles. They're fairly common with the solid front axles, and I think companies are still converting them that way.

I would imagine that the Vemco system was too expensive, too complicated, and probably became instantly obsolete when Ford came out with the IFS 4x4 in 1980. It is an interesting concept though.

Worthy of a look for any gearhead;).

I've seen a couple pictures of the setup over the years, but not in the same quality as these are.

Same here Shaun. This one is pretty rusty obviously, but the fact it is still running and driving is impressive.

I hope somebody saves it, the drivetrain if nothing else.

I've seen a couple pictures of the setup over the years, but not in the same quality as these are.

Same here Shaun. This one is pretty rusty obviously, but the fact it is still running and driving is impressive.

I hope somebody saves it, the drivetrain if nothing else.

So what does actually do?

So what does actually do?

It's just a rare / obscure 4x4 system that was used briefly in the late 70's and early 80's.

Instead of a traditional transfer case, it used a "V-Drive" with two front driveshafts running to each of the front wheels. It was an early version of 4x4 IFS that never made it into the mainstream.

vdrive.thumb.jpg.6a4b1ff675f5272978944bb7045eaae2.jpg