Bullnose Forums

Idle variation on my 1986 f150 XLT 5.0 EFI AT

No, sir. Occasionally the Emissions light will flicker for a few seconds especially during a cold start.

nonflammable will not burn! in or out of the cylinders. therefore, it will not find a vacuum leak. you need a fuel in order to get a combustion response.

Ohh!!! I’ll try that then…. Thanks

One thing I did with my 85: I got a vacuum gauge and made a baseline reading. In my case right at 21psi.

After that, I started unplugging and plugging individual lines from the intake manifold; brakes, EGR, cruise control, etc. and see if there are any changes in vacuum. This won't tell if you if you have a vacuum leak in the intake, but it might tell you if you have a significant leak in one of the various vacuum components. And of course it only works at idle.

Also, If you already don't have one, I would also grab a code reader from AutoZone or Amazon. I have this one: Innova 3145 with this extension: Innova 3149 Extension.

-Shannon

One thing I did with my 85: I got a vacuum gauge and made a baseline reading. In my case right at 21psi.

After that, I started unplugging and plugging individual lines from the intake manifold; brakes, EGR, cruise control, etc. and see if there are any changes in vacuum. This won't tell if you if you have a vacuum leak in the intake, but it might tell you if you have a significant leak in one of the various vacuum components. And of course it only works at idle.

Also, If you already don't have one, I would also grab a code reader from AutoZone or Amazon. I have this one: Innova 3145 with this extension: Innova 3149 Extension.

-Shannon

Ooh wow!! Didn’t know there was OBD1 code reader!! Would it register anything even if there’s no “Check Engine Light” on?