Bullnose Forums

Efi delete (AOD)

Waine5550

Yes. Using the lokar cable. Has all kinds of slack now. I understand it's a balance to much is as bad as not enough. It won't go past 2nd gear.

Is the outer TV lever going all the way to the closed throttle position? The AOD has an internal "fail safe" spring in case the rod or cable come off. I assume the Lokar cable pulls on the TV lever as it usually hooks on the tail of the carburetor throttle lever. The EFI cable would have been the same way, pulling the TV lever as the throttle was opened.

Is the outer TV lever going all the way to the closed throttle position? The AOD has an internal "fail safe" spring in case the rod or cable come off. I assume the Lokar cable pulls on the TV lever as it usually hooks on the tail of the carburetor throttle lever. The EFI cable would have been the same way, pulling the TV lever as the throttle was opened.

there is a funny thing about this. the factory tv cable also has a push back spring to keep the internal spring in check. without the push back spring it will come to rest where the internal spring does and then you would start pulling from there with the lokar tv cable. this would mean a situation much like you describe where you would have a very high static pressure. at idle and in the resting cable position you should have 0-5 psi on the test port at the rear of the case on the passenger side. more than that and the trans starts loading up pressure against the engine and looking for a downshift.

sorry to hear that you scrapped the efi but very glad that you got a system running .dont give up!

there is a funny thing about this. the factory tv cable also has a push back spring to keep the internal spring in check. without the push back spring it will come to rest where the internal spring does and then you would start pulling from there with the lokar tv cable. this would mean a situation much like you describe where you would have a very high static pressure. at idle and in the resting cable position you should have 0-5 psi on the test port at the rear of the case on the passenger side. more than that and the trans starts loading up pressure against the engine and looking for a downshift.

sorry to hear that you scrapped the efi but very glad that you got a system running .dont give up!

Where is that spring located? And thank you. Might have to change that name?

Is this the spring?

Following.

I have an aod that has never worked properly in my Bronco.

I have the same issue with the high static pressure and using the lokar cable.

In my case i can get all the gears but it shifts very late and I don’t like the smell.

My transmission work is on hold till the spring - hoping you find a solution!!

Link to my posts on tv cable issues, maybe it will help, maybe not.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-351-4x4-Code-name-Esperanza-tp9221p120841.html

Is this the spring?

Here is the internal torsion spring in the AOD, it moves the TV shaft in the counterclockwise direction. In order to get a positive complete return to the minimum pressure, the rod needs to be pulled up and forward or the cable needs to have the lower end pulled out to find the internal stop for the TV lever.

AOD_internal_throttle_lever.thumb.jpg.30de6186d83b645703cf0a2f03a1e535.jpg

Here is the internal torsion spring in the AOD, it moves the TV shaft in the counterclockwise direction. In order to get a positive complete return to the minimum pressure, the rod needs to be pulled up and forward or the cable needs to have the lower end pulled out to find the internal stop for the TV lever.

yes, the internal torsion spring is located at the valve body and is in direct contact with the pressure valve. the needed spring to hold it in check is part of the factory tv cable assembly. for this reason i only use factory tv cables and make my own bracket at the intake to mount the throttle and tv cables.