Bullnose Forums

Analog To Digital Converter? Help, Please?

Gary Lewis

Gary, can't something like this do the job?

Amazon sells couple of different models. I would be surprised that a USB plug located behind your Sony is in order to plug Mass Storage or any USB stick... No very useful.

:nabble_anim_confused:

I also have this in a drawer, I used it to plug an analog amplifier in one USB port of my computer, when transferring old audio tapes to mp3 files:

Jeff - Something like that might work. But as discussed earlier, Sony said that the USB connector was designed to work with Apple and Android devices, like phones and music players, and it is unlikely that the analog-to-digital converters mimic one of those. From what little info those manufacturers provide it looks like they just put out a stream of digital signals based on the input from the mike.

So, as Cory suggested, I'm going to take the safe route and use the 3.5 mm cable plugged into the Aux jack and routed past the bezel, behind the radio, and down to the cable from the Garmin. I know that'll work.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff - Something like that might work. But as discussed earlier, Sony said that the USB connector was designed to work with Apple and Android devices, like phones and music players, and it is unlikely that the analog-to-digital converters mimic one of those. From what little info those manufacturers provide it looks like they just put out a stream of digital signals based on the input from the mike.

So, as Cory suggested, I'm going to take the safe route and use the 3.5 mm cable plugged into the Aux jack and routed past the bezel, behind the radio, and down to the cable from the Garmin. I know that'll work.

I understand.

But is there a possibility to solder a wire directly inside the Sony case, behind the audio jack and run a 3mm connector to the GPS audio output, hidden under the dash?

This would avoid to see the plugged 3mm wire in the front of the Sony...

I understand.

But is there a possibility to solder a wire directly inside the Sony case, behind the audio jack and run a 3mm connector to the GPS audio output, hidden under the dash?

This would avoid to see the plugged 3mm wire in the front of the Sony...

Yes, if I wanted to take the Sony apart I might be able to do that. But I don't really want to take it apart. I think/hope I'm going to be happy with the 3.5 mm cable.

To finish this thread off, I installed the aux input cable today that Cory recommended. Sure cleaned things up. Thanks, Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

Gary, if that's not the definition of keeping it simple, nothing is eh? That looks as clean as anything could be, and for only a few bucks too. On to the next problem needing a solution huh?

To finish this thread off, I installed the aux input cable today that Cory recommended. Sure cleaned things up. Thanks, Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

Gary, if that's not the definition of keeping it simple, nothing is eh? That looks as clean as anything could be, and for only a few bucks too. On to the next problem needing a solution huh?

Yes, that was both simple and cheap - $7 or so. But it took ~2 hours to do. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The radio had to come out of its "bracket" in order to slip the wire through since it had the connectors on it. But that mean the whole bezel had to come out since the connections on the back of the radio are too short to let the radio come out. And when the bezel comes out so do the Mission Control switches, and 6 switches have a lot of wiring.

Then when you put things back together you have to make all of the connections but have the radio slid out a little bit since it has to be the last thing to go in. And to slide it in you need to reach up behind and line up the rear support with the rubber on the rear stud. Boy, is that a pain, literally!

Whomever designed Mission Control should have to work on it himself! :nabble_smiley_cool:

But yes, on to the next problem - the wiring to the GMRS radio. :nabble_smiley_super: