Bullnose Forums

Ball Joint Help!

Powerman5K

I just replaced my coil springs and front shocks earlier in the week. Problem is I already had positive camber. Now I have "super positive" camber. My truck would already eat through tires. I can't imagine what it will look like now! No idea what I'm going to do!

Is it the same on both sides? Or is one side worse than the other?

Are the new springs just aftermarket replacements for stock height?

Is there any movement in the kingpins when you grab the tire top and bottom?

You can swap in a set of later front beams, but you'll need the whole works...radius arms, spindles, hubs, brakes, etc.

Otherwise, try to find a shop that still has anybody old enough that remembers bending the stock beams....and worse yet, still has the equipment to do so.

I talked to a guy at one of the local alignment shops that used to work on the old twin I-beam kingpin Ford trucks, and he told me that they usually came in with negative camber issues, and it was usually because of weak/worn out springs, but he bent a lot of beams regardless, because that's what they wanted. Positive camber I don't know...that's a whole other can of worms. I guess you'll either have to install shorter springs, or find somebody that can bend the beams, or swap in a later front end with ball joints.

i would start with making sure the kingpins are in good condition and not housing a lot of play. then i would research a little more to be certain that you have the precise spring set for "your" truck not just any f100/150 . these did get a little specific as to engine and accessories to account for the "sprung weight". when all else fails , slightly shorter/softer springs are easier to shim up than going the other way around. certainly easier on the home mechanic than i beam mods. even ball joints have their limits on adjustability and the setup needs to be as close as possible in order to get it correct.

I just replaced my coil springs and front shocks earlier in the week. Problem is I already had positive camber. Now I have "super positive" camber. My truck would already eat through tires. I can't imagine what it will look like now! No idea what I'm going to do!

I have all the TTB stuff if you decide you want to do the swap to a later (82-86) front end. I'm in north TX. Probably expensive to ship. Where are you at?

I have all the TTB stuff if you decide you want to do the swap to a later (82-86) front end. I'm in north TX. Probably expensive to ship. Where are you at?

Virginia. A bit of a hike for me! 🤣 Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try to make it work for now before making the swap. I know a guy the runs the auto repair tech school in my county. I'll ask his advice to see if he knows anyone that can bend an I beam and then go from there.

Virginia. A bit of a hike for me! 🤣 Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try to make it work for now before making the swap. I know a guy the runs the auto repair tech school in my county. I'll ask his advice to see if he knows anyone that can bend an I beam and then go from there.

Where in VA? I had a king pin press, but I do not remember it getting found and packed when we were emptying the house and garage in Newport News. I do have what I believe is the proper bushing reamer for them.

Where in VA? I had a king pin press, but I do not remember it getting found and packed when we were emptying the house and garage in Newport News. I do have what I believe is the proper bushing reamer for them.

Winchester but I don't think they are bad. They have no slop or play in them when the truck is jacked from the frame.