Bullnose Forums

Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

Quantity is certainly supposed to tell you how many you need. However, if you look at the illustrations I have of a 300 six (go to Engines/300 Six in the navigation menu) you'll see that they show only one belt to the alternator. But, those are "typical" illustrations, meaning yours may be different.

So, how many positions for belts does your alternator' pulley have? If two, are they exactly the same width - there was frequently a smaller one running the air pump on some engines.

As for the r/b, that means "replaced by". So originally Ford used one part number, but later came out with another and noted that in the catalog.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quantity is certainly supposed to tell you how many you need. However, if you look at the illustrations I have of a 300 six (go to Engines/300 Six in the navigation menu) you'll see that they show only one belt to the alternator. But, those are "typical" illustrations, meaning yours may be different.So, how many positions for belts does your alternator' pulley have? If two, are they exactly the same width - there was frequently a smaller one running the air pump on some engines.As for the r/b, that means "replaced by". So originally Ford used one part number, but later came out with another and noted that in the catalog.

Two I think

Image-3.thumb.png.59e242f26107ffd5cedee3911c347d1e.png

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:11 AM

Subject: Re: Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

To: kristopherdb <redacted_email_address>

Quantity is certainly supposed to tell you how many you need. However, if you look at the illustrations I have of a 300 six (go to Engines/300 Six in the navigation menu) you'll see that they show only one belt to the alternator. But, those are "typical" illustrations, meaning yours may be different.

So, how many positions for belts does your alternator' pulley have?  If two, are they exactly the same width - there was frequently a smaller one running the air pump on some engines.

As for the r/b, that means "replaced by". So originally Ford used one part number, but later came out with another and noted that in the catalog.Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Belts-300-cdi-L6-4-9-tp959p993.html

To unsubscribe from Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9, click here.

NAML

Let me see what I can find on belt routing in the catalog.....

I probably have the 1986 routing. From looking at your photo, you should have, on the crank and water pump, from back to front; alternator, water pump and crank; power steering pump, water pump and crank; A/C compressor, water pump and crank; then you have an alternator to thermactor pump which if it was like the 460s is a 1/4" wide belt.

Hope this helps some, the problem I run into at most parts stores, the kid on the computer is younger than your truck and if the computer doesn't show it they have no idea how to look in a print catalog even if they have one.

I probably have the 1986 routing. From looking at your photo, you should have, on the crank and water pump, from back to front; alternator, water pump and crank; power steering pump, water pump and crank; A/C compressor, water pump and crank; then you have an alternator to thermactor pump which if it was like the 460s is a 1/4" wide belt.Hope this helps some, the problem I run into at most parts stores, the kid on the computer is younger than your truck and if the computer doesn't show it they have no idea how to look in a print catalog even if they have one.
Thank you. I literally called the local ford dealership parts department in Portland yesterday. The kid on the phone was like I don’t know how to look these up it’s so old. I was like 85 is old? Crap

From: 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:35:23 AM

To: kristopherdb

Subject: Re: Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

I probably have the 1986 routing. From looking at your photo, you should have, on the crank and water pump, from back to front; alternator, water pump and crank; power steering pump, water pump and crank; A/C compressor, water pump and crank; then you have an alternator to thermactor pump which if it was like the 460s is a 1/4" wide belt.

Hope this helps some, the problem I run into at most parts stores, the kid on the computer is younger than your truck and if the computer doesn't show it they have no idea how to look in a print catalog even if they have one.

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"

1986 F-350, 2011 Flex

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Belts-300-cdi-L6-4-9-tp959p997.html

To unsubscribe from Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9, click here.

NAML

I'm sure glad Bill responded as the master parts catalog has nothing on belt routing. But, it it is still an issue my 1985 owner's manual probably does have it.

I would use the Canada belt listed for the alternator since yours only has one belt groove usable, then go from there on the rest. If you go to some of the parts store websites and plug in the sales number (not the Ford PN) you may be able to cross reference them that way.

:nabble_anim_claps: That's as close as I can get to rep's on here.

Thank you Gary,

Back when I had a 1980 straight six transplanted into my '66 F100, I went through a bunch of trouble to find a replacement alternator with a double belt pulley... then I went through a bunch of trouble trying to find two equal length belts so I could fill both V's (even two new belts off the same shelf at the parts house wouldn't tension right). So now I know what that extra notch was for 🙄. I was young and took things a bit literally at the time!