Bullnose Forums

Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

I have an 85 300 L6, I am not a motor-head or mechanic but I have this beast to learn on. There are two belts missing and I need to pass emissions.

1 belt goes from the air pump (Thermactor Pump??) to the alternator and another from the A/C to the water pump and crank.

I cannot find the belt numbers or what to get for the life of me. Also when hooking these back up after 20 years should I do anything first, such as oil the condenser?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kristopher - Welcome to the Bullnose Forum. Frequently I have the documentation needed somewhere in the rest of the website. And when I don't I usually put it on a page quickly. But, in this case I don't have it on the site nor have the time to do it completely at the moment so will post it here to get you some info, and then put up a page later.

Here's what Ford's master parts catalog shows for a 1985 w/a 300 six. Pick out your belt and you should be able to find it by Googling the number like JB-430-LB. But, you can usually find the info by going to the website of one of the parts houses, like O'Reilly's, and entering your truck's info.

1985_300_Six.jpg.c08349c06b4145f0bf85707e51f70ef1.jpg

I will start with the air pump. I think the pump is seized up and will not turn, at least that is what happened to me when I removed the air pump belt for a long period of time. I was able to take it apart and get it to free up and turn by hand again. The air pump was rusted bad inside.

Jim

MasterPro Belt/Hose - V-Belt

Part #: 7290 Line: MBH

Select a store to see pricing & availability

City & State or Zip

FIND

V-Belt Alternator To Air Pump; With Air Conditioning

Outside Circumference (In): 29-5/8 Inch

Outside Circumference (mm): 753mm

Kristopher - Welcome to the Bullnose Forum. Frequently I have the documentation needed somewhere in the rest of the website. And when I don't I usually put it on a page quickly. But, in this case I don't have it on the site nor have the time to do it completely at the moment so will post it here to get you some info, and then put up a page later.Here's what Ford's master parts catalog shows for a 1985 w/a 300 six. Pick out your belt and you should be able to find it by Googling the number like JB-430-LB. But, you can usually find the info by going to the website of one of the parts houses, like O'Reilly's, and entering your truck's info.
Thanks Gary, I am very new to all of this so I appreciate the genuine help  

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

What is T/E option?
THERMACTOR EMISSION CONTROL. Aka "air pump". Smog pump.
Thanks. I really did google it first. 

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:10:20 PM

To: kristopherdb

Subject: Re: Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

THERMACTOR EMISSION CONTROL.  Aka "air pump".  Smog pump.  Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Belts-300-cdi-L6-4-9-tp959p974.html

To unsubscribe from Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9, click here.

NAML

No problem. And, just 'cause you asked and I didn't have it, there's a web page out there for Drive Belts. (You can also get to it by hovering over Engines to the left and clicking on Drive Belts. That's the beauty of a forum integrated with a website for documentation. :nabble_smiley_wink:)
Oh 💩 now I need to know how to read these lol. Ok I think I figured out most of it but got consumed on, Quantity? Says 2 for alternator? Do I order 2 of them or the top and r/b number under it? 

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:58 PM

Subject: Re: Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9

To: kristopherdb <redacted_email_address>

No problem.  And, just 'cause you asked and I didn't have it, there's a web page out there forDrive Belts.  (You can also get to it by hovering over Engines to the left and clicking on Drive Belts.  That's the beauty of a forum integrated with a website for documentation.  http://n8.nabble.com/images/smiley/smiley_wink.gif)Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Belts-300-cdi-L6-4-9-tp959p982.html

To unsubscribe from Belts? 300 cdi L6 4.9, click here.

NAML