Bullnose Forums

Front suspension

cjstaci

Hello,

I have an 81 F350 4x4, std cab. When I bought it, the front shocks were not bolted to the lower shock mounts. I put some bolts in and thought it was good. After a couple thousand miles I noticed the bolts were gone. I bought some new bolts but this time paying a little attention to the problem. What I noticed was the bolt hole on the lower mount is larger than the 1/2" bolt. The bolt hole appears to be worn.

Are the lower shock mount bolt holes supposed to be std or metric? The shocks on the truck are Skyjackers with a 1/'2 bolt hole. I noticed the Bronco graveyard sells the newer style mounts. Has anyone had a similar issue or maybe some advice?

Thanks

The page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension shows that to be part # N606084, and while it doesn't show in the Master Parts Catalog I found it in the 1986 Standard & Utility Parts Catalog:

M12 diameter, 70mm long, & it is a 10.9 grade, which is a bit stronger than a G8. Plus I'd bet that the threads are not touching the bracket as that would weaken the bolt.

The page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension shows that to be part # N606084, and while it doesn't show in the Master Parts Catalog I found it in the 1986 Standard & Utility Parts Catalog:

M12 diameter, 70mm long, & it is a 10.9 grade, which is a bit stronger than a G8. Plus I'd bet that the threads are not touching the bracket as that would weaken the bolt.

The 86 mount has two ears for the shock mount while the one I have has one ear. A 12mm bolt is a little smaller (.4724) than 1/2". The bolt hole on my mount is larger than 1/2", perhaps it is worn. It does appear to be oblong. If I purchase the newer style mounts, assuming they have 12mm hole, then the sleeve in the shock bushing is slightly larger at .500". Difference is .0276". That means I need to find sleeves and bushings that fit correctly. Seems like it might be easier to buy new shocks but they don't provide the info on bolt hole ID. Any suggestions for the correct shocks?

The 86 mount has two ears for the shock mount while the one I have has one ear. A 12mm bolt is a little smaller (.4724) than 1/2". The bolt hole on my mount is larger than 1/2", perhaps it is worn. It does appear to be oblong. If I purchase the newer style mounts, assuming they have 12mm hole, then the sleeve in the shock bushing is slightly larger at .500". Difference is .0276". That means I need to find sleeves and bushings that fit correctly. Seems like it might be easier to buy new shocks but they don't provide the info on bolt hole ID. Any suggestions for the correct shocks?

I'm sorry, I got lost when I read this yesterday and thought when I came back to it today it might make sense. However, it doesn't.

I think the part that is confusing me is the shock mount "ears". Can you post a pic of the old vs the new shocks?

What’s the 86 shock mount off of?

Sounds like the F150 and Bronco dual shock mount.

I think the part that is confusing me is the shock mount "ears". Can you post a pic of the old vs the new shocks?

I usually stay out of these 8-Lug discussions LOL, but this one made me curious so I had to take a look myself.

According to the suspension pages, the front lower shock mount only had one mounting "ear", or tab. Looks like this was the case from 1980 through to January 1985:

one_tab1.jpg.c8a0ab7adbb131534d2ceb6c108a3c9d.jpg

one_tab2.jpg.b98ba9cb6668a7e1294ab81a3f20c75e.jpg

And then from February 1985 and on the lower shock mount had two ears, or two tabs. I assume the shocks stayed the same regardless, and just the bottom mount rotated is all, but I'm no expert when it comes to 8-Lug stuff;).

After_2.jpg.b293108a2eff34d9687ddc03243e078e.jpg

I usually stay out of these 8-Lug discussions LOL, but this one made me curious so I had to take a look myself.

According to the suspension pages, the front lower shock mount only had one mounting "ear", or tab. Looks like this was the case from 1980 through to January 1985:

And then from February 1985 and on the lower shock mount had two ears, or two tabs. I assume the shocks stayed the same regardless, and just the bottom mount rotated is all, but I'm no expert when it comes to 8-Lug stuff;).

Oh ok. Good find Cory! I misunderstood.

Oh ok. Good find Cory! I misunderstood.

Well, this 8-lug stuff is all unknown to me, so I knew nothing on the topic until I looked, but I was curious. Interesting...I just checked my 1984 FSM, and it shows the 1985-up style lower mounting bracket.

Thanks, Cory. I wasn't aware that things changed in '85.