Bullnose Forums

Stereo Wiring Question

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install a stereo in my 1985 F150, which is a radio-delete model - no wiring for a stereo or speakers in the truck.

After looking at the fuse panel in the cab, there is a provision for a radio, but there is no fuse in that slot.

With that in mind, how can I run the power from the head-unit, back to the fuse panel to make it look factory?

I've never pulled apart a fuse panel and so, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to bet the wiring is there. Woulds be more expensive to have a harness made without the wires and one made with the wires. But, it is also very easy to wire a radio with your own wires. You can run a inline fuse so you do not need the fuse in the fuse box. But, if you check where the fuse is supposed to be . you see no metal parts for holding a fuse? I guess you don't own a VOM ?

I'm willing to be the wiring is there. Woulds be more expensive to have a harness made without the wires and one made with the wires.

My 1984 F150 is a radio delete model as well, and I couldn't find any wires in it anywhere for the radio, and there are definitely no wires going to the doors. Maybe they started using a complete harness for all trucks sometime after the Bullnose, I have no idea, but the rationale at the time was probably to not waste money running unnecessary wiring in vehicles that didn't need them. I dunno.

I'm willing to be the wiring is there. Woulds be more expensive to have a harness made without the wires and one made with the wires.

My 1984 F150 is a radio delete model as well, and I couldn't find any wires in it anywhere for the radio, and there are definitely no wires going to the doors. Maybe they started using a complete harness for all trucks sometime after the Bullnose, I have no idea, but the rationale at the time was probably to not waste money running unnecessary wiring in vehicles that didn't need them. I dunno.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that there are no wires.

That also reminds me - what would the part be called that runs the wires from the door frame into the actual door? My truck has manual door locks and windows, so there is no power wires running into the doors - does anyone know what types of rubber boots or grommets are being used on say, a Bronco or Lariat F-series?

I have seen extra wiring in many vehicles. Think about the time to make harnesses. Easier to use the same harness than have a totally different one made, just minus a couple wires.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that there are no wires.

That also reminds me - what would the part be called that runs the wires from the door frame into the actual door? My truck has manual door locks and windows, so there is no power wires running into the doors - does anyone know what types of rubber boots or grommets are being used on say, a Bronco or Lariat F-series?

OK, so if there are no wires, then so be it. Then it's actually can be easier as you won't need to buy a special plug to adapt to the factory wiring. You run your two power wires, a ground and speaker wires and you have tunes.

OK, so if there are no wires, then so be it. Then it's actually can be easier as you won't need to buy a special plug to adapt to the factory wiring. You run your two power wires, a ground and speaker wires and you have tunes.

Thanks Pete - serious question, where do I run the power wires?

The fuse box has no fuse in the "radio" location, and as the truck is a radio delete truck, I'm not sure if there are even wires hooked to to that slot.

I can run the ground to a bolt in the frame of the dash...

Thanks Pete - serious question, where do I run the power wires?

The fuse box has no fuse in the "radio" location, and as the truck is a radio delete truck, I'm not sure if there are even wires hooked to to that slot.

I can run the ground to a bolt in the frame of the dash...

Click this & read the first several captions in the album:

http://supermotors.net/getfile/405445//thumbnail/05busbars.jpg

• 1 month later...

Click this & read the first several captions in the album:

http://supermotors.net/getfile/405445//thumbnail/05busbars.jpg

Steve - what type of connectors are these called?

... and from what I can tell, I just run the hot lead from the head unit into the radio location and then add a 15 amp fuse?

If I wanted to run power to a powered sub, where would I connect that?

Steve - what type of connectors are these called?

... and from what I can tell, I just run the hot lead from the head unit into the radio location and then add a 15 amp fuse?

If I wanted to run power to a powered sub, where would I connect that?

Most subs pull more power than you want to direct through the original fuse box and its skinny wiring. So, assuming that it pulls quite a bit of power, I'd run it directly from the battery, with a fuse right at the battery.

But, maybe I should ask what the wattage is on it?