Bullnose Forums

Drive shaft support bearing preload

CRittaler

This is probably a silly question, but I have tried searching and haven't found an answer.

I need to replace my transfer case output seal which means I need to pull the drive shaft.

Does the support bearing require any sort of preload when I reinstall?

A BMW I used to own required preload of the support bearing and it was defined in the manual. I haven't been able to find a spec so I wanted to see if there is one at all.

Chris - I don't think so, but it doesn't look like I have the bit of the factory service manual posted that would cover that. So when I get to the shop in a bit I'll look and see what it says.

I was wrong - the factory shop manual section actually is on the site. Go to Documentation/Driveline/Driveshafts and then in this case the Single Cardan R&R tab. Page 5 has a section called DRIVESHAFT/COUPLING SHAFT (ALL EXCEPT ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT MODELS) and that includes the removal and installation of the center carrier bearing. And Page 7 has the torque spec's. But you'll find that there's no discussion of pre-load. Just bolt it on.

I was wrong - the factory shop manual section actually is on the site. Go to Documentation/Driveline/Driveshafts and then in this case the Single Cardan R&R tab. Page 5 has a section called DRIVESHAFT/COUPLING SHAFT (ALL EXCEPT ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT MODELS) and that includes the removal and installation of the center carrier bearing. And Page 7 has the torque spec's. But you'll find that there's no discussion of pre-load. Just bolt it on.

Thanks Gary! I knew it would be somewhere I just wasn't able to find it.