Bullnose Forums

1985 5.0 EFI Fuel pump - Before I go buy a bunch of crap

peace of mind comes with doing both tanks. it is not that expensive when you really think about it. fussing with bad tanks can cost much more over time. the rear is by far the harder of the two. are you doing the fill hoses too? again, its cheap insurance and new hoses are much easier to install.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is a bit of a father/son project (this is my son's truck), so I want the truck as reliable as possible.

I went ahead and ordered the second tank and pump/sender assembly. I also picked up the filler hoses for each tank. I also got new mounting hardware for the tanks.. of the 4 bolts for the rear tank, 3 were different. For some reason, that really gets my goat. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Mat, good to know the mid-tank is a bit easier to drop than the rear.

-Shannon

Thanks for the advice guys. This is a bit of a father/son project (this is my son's truck), so I want the truck as reliable as possible.

I went ahead and ordered the second tank and pump/sender assembly. I also picked up the filler hoses for each tank. I also got new mounting hardware for the tanks.. of the 4 bolts for the rear tank, 3 were different. For some reason, that really gets my goat. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Mat, good to know the mid-tank is a bit easier to drop than the rear.

-Shannon

when doing the mid tank, a transmission jack is a great help. without one, a ratchet strap can be very handy

when doing the mid tank, a transmission jack is a great help. without one, a ratchet strap can be very handy

Mat,

Great idea! I have a transmission jack and never thought to use it.

New tanks came in today (gotta love Amazon). Just waiting for the fill hoses and I'm ready to button everything up.

BTW. Just a trick I fabbed up for quickly removing the gas from a tank: I used an old fuel pump with 5/16" hose and a 10 micron fuel filter so that I can reuse the old gas. I removed 15 gallons of gas from the rear tank that way. Works like a charm as long as you have a place to put it.

-Shannon

Mat,

Great idea! I have a transmission jack and never thought to use it.

New tanks came in today (gotta love Amazon). Just waiting for the fill hoses and I'm ready to button everything up.

BTW. Just a trick I fabbed up for quickly removing the gas from a tank: I used an old fuel pump with 5/16" hose and a 10 micron fuel filter so that I can reuse the old gas. I removed 15 gallons of gas from the rear tank that way. Works like a charm as long as you have a place to put it.

-Shannon

i have done that too. no fun dropping a loaded tank. a full tank is just heavy and wearing spilled fuel makes me nuts (angry). but a half tank keeps moving around and changing where the weight is. by all means, empty the tank if you can.

peace of mind comes with doing both tanks. it is not that expensive when you really think about it. fussing with bad tanks can cost much more over time. the rear is by far the harder of the two. are you doing the fill hoses too? again, its cheap insurance and new hoses are much easier to install.

I got the mid-tank installed today. Mat was right, much easier than the rear. Odd thing: The fuel pump mounting tabs on the Spectra tank were reversed from the OEM tank, causing the fuel line outlets to be reversed and pointed in the wrong direction. I had to add the tabs in the "right" place on the tank in order to fix that.

Still waiting on a replacement fuel pump wiring connector (that I broke) for the rear tank. The supply line also cracked so I am waiting on the parts to fix that. Never a dull moment, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

-Shannon

I got the mid-tank installed today. Mat was right, much easier than the rear. Odd thing: The fuel pump mounting tabs on the Spectra tank were reversed from the OEM tank, causing the fuel line outlets to be reversed and pointed in the wrong direction. I had to add the tabs in the "right" place on the tank in order to fix that.

Still waiting on a replacement fuel pump wiring connector (that I broke) for the rear tank. The supply line also cracked so I am waiting on the parts to fix that. Never a dull moment, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

-Shannon

I think you may have the later tank. When I bought 90's tanks for Big Blue I found that the slots were in the wrong place for the Bullnose sending units. So I went with later sending units, actually called fuel delivery modules as they have the pump, sending unit, and check valve in one.

But if you cut the slots then you should be good. The only issue might be rusting where you cut, but the rest of the galvanizing should prevent it. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: