Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's 2022 Sand Hollow Utah trip

Nothing Special

Day three had better weather than day two. Not that it had a very high bar! But at least it wasn't raining yet, and it was only flash flood watches instead of flash flood warnings. So we headed to Sand Hollow for more 'wheeling, but opted for an easier trail in case the weather became an issue. We opted to take on West Rim trail (rated 6), with West Rim Lite (rated 3) following it in case we needed to step down a level.

Our first surprise was when we tried to get into the park. We were told that the tunnel was closed. So we turned around and headed for the other entrance to the trails, under the bridge. (When we got back to the tunnel a couple days later we saw marks from the sand being about 6' deep in the 10' high tunnel! So no wonder it wasn't open on Wednesday!)

Our second surprise was when we got to the other entrance. What had been a wide, smooth gravel road on Monday now had criss-crossing ruts about 3' deep! It wasn't too hard to pick my way through with the Bronco, but a roll-back wrecker had driven up it on Monday. That wasn't going to happen today!

At first the West Rim trail was pretty easy, with enough optional obstacles to keep it interesting. But as we got around to the farthest west part of the trail (around "the Lunchroom") it got to be more than we wanted. So we fell back to West Rim Lite and made our way down to Top of The World.

At that point the rain finally came, so we headed down Watertank Road, which is just an access road, so not difficult. But it turned out to be more a run down through the dunes than a road like I'm used to, so it was still pretty fun.

OK, here are the pictures and video of West Rim:

And here is a picture and the video of coming down Watertank Road. I'll warn you though, the last part of this video is shot from the passenger's seat as we bombed down at the breath-taking speed of 16 mph. The ride of a 51 year old truck off-road at that speed makes for ...interesting video! I think it's kind of fun, but if it's too hard to watch I won't be offended if you quit. And know that once that starts it stays that way until the end.

By the time we got down the rain had stopped, but we decided we were done 'wheeling for the day anyway. As we had been leaving on Monday we saw a group of Jeeps that had "made a call." One was broken and they were at the access point waiting for a wrecker. We waited to see if they had called Winder Towing (the on-road version of Matt's Off-Road Recovery), but it was a different company. So on this day we decided to swing by Matt's yard and at least see if I could get a T-shirt. I ended up meeting Trevor, who was a great guy! He invited me into the yard where I got to see the vehicles up close. And Lesley got to pet Peanut (one of the dogs in Matt's videos). So that was a cool part of the trip as well!

We finished up the day with a short hike in Red Reef, a little northwest of Hurricane. It went up a creek through a pretty deep canyon, and was pretty cool as well.

Day four was another non-wheeling day, but we did spend a lot of time in the Bronco. We drove up to Bryce Canyon National Park. We did the Queen's Garden Hike and drove to most of the scenic overlooks. Then we drove out a little farther to another hike my wife found, Willis Creek. That was a really short hike, only about 1/2 mile. But it was in a really cool slot canyon.

Here are a couple pictures of Bryce:

DSC_4211.jpg.43206bccc215a159653e1a3c0632b8ff.jpg

DSC_4240.jpg.04b177f20602a5a2e4131dce387c0ae2.jpg

And here's Willis Creek

DSC_4263.jpg.b9d41dc481c4610bdcb89205f0620b92.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day four was another non-wheeling day, but we did spend a lot of time in the Bronco. We drove up to Bryce Canyon National Park. We did the Queen's Garden Hike and drove to most of the scenic overlooks. Then we drove out a little farther to another hike my wife found, Willis Creek. That was a really short hike, only about 1/2 mile. But it was in a really cool slot canyon.

Here are a couple pictures of Bryce:

And here's Willis Creek

Bob - You are making me jealous! Janey and I did Lake Powell and those parks many years ago, and I don't remember them that well. But your pictures and descriptions make me want to go back.

That is such a beautiful, and stunning, area. So vastly different from anything else I've seen. One of a kind. Plus, they are grouped together so closely that the area begs for another visit. :nabble_anim_jump:

Bob - You are making me jealous! Janey and I did Lake Powell and those parks many years ago, and I don't remember them that well. But your pictures and descriptions make me want to go back.

That is such a beautiful, and stunning, area. So vastly different from anything else I've seen. One of a kind. Plus, they are grouped together so closely that the area begs for another visit. :nabble_anim_jump:

The only problem with vacationing in Utah is now Lesley doesn't want to go back to Colorado ever again!

The only problem with vacationing in Utah is now Lesley doesn't want to go back to Colorado ever again!

This is the update I've been waiting for! On day 5 we did Double Sammy! This might be the best trail day I've ever had. It almost certainly is the toughest trail I've ever run. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

With drier weather the last couple of days we decided to try a little harder trail. With a 7 rating Double Sammy seemed like a possible candidate. When we got to the start of the trail I decided it was harder than I wanted to tackle alone, but there was another group (or actually two small groups together) that was starting up, so we paused to watch.

As we watched them on the first couple of obstacles they tried to convince us to come with them. After making sure they knew what they were getting into (with my 33" tires I wasn't going to be keeping up with their 40", 42" and 52" tires!) we started in!

Most of Sand Hollow is a network of trails that let you bypass something that's beyond what you want to do. Double Sammy? Not so much. There are harder and easier lines, but the easier lines are far from easy. And once you start in you are in for the duration, with very few bail-out options.

Pretty quickly I got past where I'd feel comfortable turning around and getting myself out, so I kept following! It was fun watching the big dogs play on the harder lines, and it was a LOT of fun taking obstacle after obstacle that were all some of the most challenging I've done. I did make it up the entire trail with no help (other than a lot of spotting), and very minimal damage (mostly just dragging my rear bumper a few times). I was pretty drained when we got to the top, but it was a blast!

At the end is a signature obstacle, "The Chute." I'm almost completely sure I could have driven up it easily (with a little spotting). But the cost of a failure is pretty high, and it seemed best to end on the high note we were already on, so I put my tires on it for a picture, but didn't actually try it.

OK, pictures and video!

DSC_4345.jpg.7c55dc08c3e5f77dfe863c8bb20806e0.jpg

DSC_4353.jpg.7dab6bf48facf8242d65863b484514a8.jpg

DSC_4358.jpg.962f3aa06160c2f3c95a71d8d7729775.jpg

Here are a couple of the big dogs playing (no, I didn't take this line)

DSC_4362.jpg.c15829abdacf3c0513bcc00984914788.jpg

DSC_4366.jpg.f530c09b621627977d2a66c0f63a3f24.jpg

DSC_4371.jpg.59949aa3b04b148e23bcd31df58f4fd4.jpg

After Double Sammy we took it pretty easy. We drove up through the dunes up to the back of the area where we could see the Flintstone House, then meandered back on East Rim Road and Razzle Dazzle, which for the most part are easy sand 2-tracks through the sage brush.

DSC_4405.jpg.bc2a973c269c24cfb125d0c360db8b19.jpg

And here's the access tunnel that goes under the highway. You can sort of see the lines about 6' up where the sand had been a couple days before.

DSC_4450.jpg.cedecce2e0093f063dbbbcbf0ed7d504.jpg

So that's the end of the Sand Hollow part of this trip. I'll still come back with a few thoughts about the drive and the campground. But this is the end of the exciting stuff. Thanks for following along!

I don't know, the scenery up there sure is pretty right now. A buddy posted this - you might know where 'tis since we've both been on the trail zig-zagging up in the distance: :nabble_smiley_wink:

310547942_10222452695808792_6914555137523681568_n.jpg.31cc963627d631f4b97532cb644fefb0.jpg

I don't know, the scenery up there sure is pretty right now. A buddy posted this - you might know where 'tis since we've both been on the trail zig-zagging up in the distance: :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yeah, Lesley's been there. And it's factored into her weighting of Colorado vs Utah!

(PS, don't miss the update I posted while you were posting this!)

This is the update I've been waiting for! On day 5 we did Double Sammy! This might be the best trail day I've ever had. It almost certainly is the toughest trail I've ever run. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

With drier weather the last couple of days we decided to try a little harder trail. With a 7 rating Double Sammy seemed like a possible candidate. When we got to the start of the trail I decided it was harder than I wanted to tackle alone, but there was another group (or actually two small groups together) that was starting up, so we paused to watch.

As we watched them on the first couple of obstacles they tried to convince us to come with them. After making sure they knew what they were getting into (with my 33" tires I wasn't going to be keeping up with their 40", 42" and 52" tires!) we started in!

Most of Sand Hollow is a network of trails that let you bypass something that's beyond what you want to do. Double Sammy? Not so much. There are harder and easier lines, but the easier lines are far from easy. And once you start in you are in for the duration, with very few bail-out options.

Pretty quickly I got past where I'd feel comfortable turning around and getting myself out, so I kept following! It was fun watching the big dogs play on the harder lines, and it was a LOT of fun taking obstacle after obstacle that were all some of the most challenging I've done. I did make it up the entire trail with no help (other than a lot of spotting), and very minimal damage (mostly just dragging my rear bumper a few times). I was pretty drained when we got to the top, but it was a blast!

At the end is a signature obstacle, "The Chute." I'm almost completely sure I could have driven up it easily (with a little spotting). But the cost of a failure is pretty high, and it seemed best to end on the high note we were already on, so I put my tires on it for a picture, but didn't actually try it.

OK, pictures and video!

After Double Sammy we took it pretty easy. We drove up through the dunes up to the back of the area where we could see the Flintstone House, then meandered back on East Rim Road and Razzle Dazzle, which for the most part are easy sand 2-tracks through the sage brush.

And here's the access tunnel that goes under the highway. You can sort of see the lines about 6' up where the sand had been a couple days before.

So that's the end of the Sand Hollow part of this trip. I'll still come back with a few thoughts about the drive and the campground. But this is the end of the exciting stuff. Thanks for following along!

WOW! That is some wheeling! You went places it didn't look like you could go.

But there were a few times I got worried, like at 5:38 with tires in the air! And a bit later I think I heard Leslie gasp. :nabble_smiley_oh:

You are right about the rear bumper, it surely has a bit of rash. But overall the Bronco appears to be extremely capable. In fact, one of the guys said something about that.

That orange Jeep's exhaust is obnoxious. He's obviously got a Hemi in it, but I'll bet it gets tiresome.

WOW! That is some wheeling! You went places it didn't look like you could go.

But there were a few times I got worried, like at 5:38 with tires in the air! And a bit later I think I heard Leslie gasp. :nabble_smiley_oh:

You are right about the rear bumper, it surely has a bit of rash. But overall the Bronco appears to be extremely capable. In fact, one of the guys said something about that.

That orange Jeep's exhaust is obnoxious. He's obviously got a Hemi in it, but I'll bet it gets tiresome.

YOU were worried at 5:38? I had even given you the spoiler that I hadn't damaged the Bronco. Can you imagine how I felt?!?!?

Seriously, I was very nervous approaching that. I knew it was going to be... exciting. And if you listen you can hear that I hit the throttle as that happened. I had my foot over the gas pedal so I could try to drive the tires back under if/when that happened. I don't know that it would've gone over otherwise (probably not). But I didn't want to see!

I also have video of the other vehicles, but I didn't think I should post them without their permission. In the video as they were going up the hill in the still picture above you can hear Lesley say "oh please tell me no!" She was pretty nervous at times, but she also said it was the best day of 'wheeling we've had in a long time! And the only reason you didn't hear her gasp at 5:38 is because she was slipping a little as she walked down the hill, and was looking at her feet when that happened. She didn't even know about it until we looked at the video that night!

Along with loud exhaust the orange Jeep had REALLY low gearing. I have a 71:1 crawl ratio, and his engine was turning a LOT faster than mine. I'd guess he was in the 200:1 range. I won't say anything against his vehicle (it was sure capable!). But when I had the exhaust done on my Bronco last time they took it on themselves to put something like a glass-pack on it to "improve" the exhaust note. I had them replace it with a real muffler.

YOU were worried at 5:38? I had even given you the spoiler that I hadn't damaged the Bronco. Can you imagine how I felt?!?!?

Seriously, I was very nervous approaching that. I knew it was going to be... exciting. And if you listen you can hear that I hit the throttle as that happened. I had my foot over the gas pedal so I could try to drive the tires back under if/when that happened. I don't know that it would've gone over otherwise (probably not). But I didn't want to see!

I also have video of the other vehicles, but I didn't think I should post them without their permission. In the video as they were going up the hill in the still picture above you can hear Lesley say "oh please tell me no!" She was pretty nervous at times, but she also said it was the best day of 'wheeling we've had in a long time! And the only reason you didn't hear her gasp at 5:38 is because she was slipping a little as she walked down the hill, and was looking at her feet when that happened. She didn't even know about it until we looked at the video that night!

Along with loud exhaust the orange Jeep had REALLY low gearing. I have a 71:1 crawl ratio, and his engine was turning a LOT faster than mine. I'd guess he was in the 200:1 range. I won't say anything against his vehicle (it was sure capable!). But when I had the exhaust done on my Bronco last time they took it on themselves to put something like a glass-pack on it to "improve" the exhaust note. I had them replace it with a real muffler.

Yes, I knew that you made it, but it was still scary! (We watched a movie last night where a young girl was dragging her hand out of a boat in an alligator-infested marsh and I had to keep telling myself "This is a flash-back and you've already seen that she makes it." But I was nervous then as well.)

I think I'm glad Lesley wasn't looking. I don't think it would have been "oh please tell me no!"

Anyway, I'm glad you had such a good time. And I'm glad she wants to go back. Obviously she has faith in your capabilities or she wouldn't.

As for the orange Jeep, I don't see (hear?) the need to make so much noise. Big Blue's Magnaflows are relatively quiet but on top of a mountain they and the fan make quite a bit of noise. I think the muffler on your Bronco is about right.

OK, pictures and video!

I said I'd wrap this up with some thoughts about the drive and the campground, but I guess I really included pretty much everything in my motorhome thread. So I guess all I'll repeat is that we stayed in WillowWind RV park, right in Hurricane. That was a pretty convenient location for what we did, and it was a very nice place, with lots of trees and grass (which must have been imported, since Utah doesn't have either!). I could easily see us staying there again.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124951/DSC_3947.jpg

Overall it was a really good trip! Lesley is already researching the touristy things we can do the next time we're there!