Bullnose Forums

Transfer case shifter boot

Gsmblue

This is a small one that is bugging me.. The Bronco has the boot around the 4x4 shifter but it is not secured in place. When driving you can see straight through to the road.

Does anyone have an exploded view of this part? Is there supposed to be some kind of retaining ring? How is this thug supposed to be sealed?

Any help appreciated!

Your question piqued my interest. And it's a good question, they don't seem to exist!

Wow! Couldn't find anything.

Fabrication time I guess.

The catalog doesn't show much on that boot, and the illustration below appears to be the best it has. But, the boot just screws to either the floor pan or the transmission cover.

Transfer_Case_Boot.thumb.jpg.2feed00f1c6e1b3be9dba55f14dc191d.jpg

I have seen some boots on earlier year trucks that have a chrome trim ring to retain the rubber. Most, however, have the metal ring cast into the rubber of the boot. That is screwed to the floor with sheet metal screws and hidden by carpet. I have no idea what transmissions/transfer cases and what years had the chrome ring, but if your boot does not have metal embedded in the rubber base, it might be missing the chrome one...

AB0DDF8F-6966-4570-A795-BB078FF0A6B9.jpeg.89c95a1d8cce827723d4f77b4873d276.jpeg

I am back from my work trip so I will run out to the truck later and see what is there... I do not recall any kind of metal retaining ring in the boot, but it may be hiding under the carpet..

Thanks for all the help. I will post my findings later.

I am back from my work trip so I will run out to the truck later and see what is there... I do not recall any kind of metal retaining ring in the boot, but it may be hiding under the carpet..

Thanks for all the help. I will post my findings later.

Well. It looks like the carpet needs to be pulled up and then I can pull the ring up, replace the screws that have threaded the sheet metal...

Thank you for the help, I have half a clue now... but now I need an intact boot.. never ending...

Well. It looks like the carpet needs to be pulled up and then I can pull the ring up, replace the screws that have threaded the sheet metal...

Thank you for the help, I have half a clue now... but now I need an intact boot.. never ending...

So your '82 has the external ring? My '83 does not.

So your '82 has the external ring? My '83 does not.

The ring sits on the boot, under the carpet.

The boot is really in bad shape. Ideally I would find a new boot, pull the carpet up, sound deaden the floor and then install the boot/ring/new trim I just got on ebay and put the carpet back.

I doubt that will happen this year... probably a spring project..