Bullnose Forums

86 300-6 a/c parts question

Good morning all. I have been thinking of replacing my a/c compressor with a newer fs10 style. Since these usually use a serpentine belt, has anyone converted one for v-belts, and if so how did it all line up on an 86 style install with these funny a/c brackets on a 300-6. I'll understand if no one has done it, but if you have, any parts numbers for the record would be helpful..have a good day all.

I looked into this, as I wanted to ditch the dead York compressor on my 81. What I found out was that the the clutch assemblies between the 82-86 compressors and the serpentine ones were way different as well as how the body mounted. Ultimately it was looking like the only practical way was going to be to convert to serpentine which was more of a project than I wanted. There certainly may be solutions I don’t know of, so if you come across any please share!

I looked into this, as I wanted to ditch the dead York compressor on my 81. What I found out was that the the clutch assemblies between the 82-86 compressors and the serpentine ones were way different as well as how the body mounted. Ultimately it was looking like the only practical way was going to be to convert to serpentine which was more of a project than I wanted. There certainly may be solutions I don’t know of, so if you come across any please share!

Thanks for your input. Today I phoned an online a/c supplier that claims His compressor supplier could “build” a compressor the way we wanted it. I’m not sure that’s true or affordable but I may get a quote about this to find out.

Today I charged my FS6 so maybe this will last me till this winter or spring to tackle this. I bought this vehicle years ago and the r134 conversion had already been done, but since it looses charge I must have a small leak I want to fix correctly this winter. We will see how long it last this time, and do the job.

I have had all of the hardware to convert to serpentine, but I prefer a separate belt for all the functions for reliability, and wouln't consider a serpentine system for my 86.

I have made it a point to do an upgrade like this if it’s economically feasible, so we’ll see how it goes and share any relevant info if it happens.

Thanks for your input. Today I phoned an online a/c supplier that claims His compressor supplier could “build” a compressor the way we wanted it. I’m not sure that’s true or affordable but I may get a quote about this to find out.

Today I charged my FS6 so maybe this will last me till this winter or spring to tackle this. I bought this vehicle years ago and the r134 conversion had already been done, but since it looses charge I must have a small leak I want to fix correctly this winter. We will see how long it last this time, and do the job.

I have had all of the hardware to convert to serpentine, but I prefer a separate belt for all the functions for reliability, and wouln't consider a serpentine system for my 86.

I have made it a point to do an upgrade like this if it’s economically feasible, so we’ll see how it goes and share any relevant info if it happens.

The aftermarket AC companies can supply V-belt or serpentine pulleys on the front of compressors. No biggie for them.

The aftermarket AC companies can supply V-belt or serpentine pulleys on the front of compressors. No biggie for them.

As I get a quote from these folks I mainly want to make sure their compressor will be a direct fit for my mounts etc. As far as the benefit of an fs10 vs an fs6 I’ll have to consider at that point. It may not be worth it I’m not sure. Thanks for the input...

• 2 weeks later...
I have had all of the hardware to convert to serpentine, but I prefer a separate belt for all the functions for reliability...
Serpentine is at least as reliable as V, if not moreso. Also, if a V-belt breaks, it's conceivable that you might not notice it for a while (assuming it doesn't foul into the other belts). But with serpentine, you'll know instantly. And you only have to carry 1 belt to keep everything working. I've done some rough craziness with my truck, and I've never thrown a belt (back when it had Vs, or now that it's serpentine).

I have had all of the hardware to convert to serpentine, but I prefer a separate belt for all the functions for reliability...
Serpentine is at least as reliable as V, if not moreso. Also, if a V-belt breaks, it's conceivable that you might not notice it for a while (assuming it doesn't foul into the other belts). But with serpentine, you'll know instantly. And you only have to carry 1 belt to keep everything working. I've done some rough craziness with my truck, and I've never thrown a belt (back when it had Vs, or now that it's serpentine).

“Serpentine is at least as reliable as V, if not moreso. Also, if a V-belt breaks, it's conceivable that you might not notice it for a while (assuming it doesn't foul into the other belts). But with serpentine, you'll know instantly.”....

I suppose my comment about the reliability wasn’t really thought out. Maybe I should’ve said the simplicity of a the v-belt arrangement along with the old-school look of it I really preferred over the serpentine mount system.

BTW, greetings here, I’ve seen your write-ups on super motors...have fun here....

Ken