Bullnose Forums

Picture Posting

There have been some questions about how best to post pictures on this new forum. If you've tried it you've been faced with a pop-up like this one:

Picture_Posting_Pop-up.jpg.36b51d70f16d63ccff9d1d1e6756122d.jpg

And you've probably tried to upload a picture and then been notified that it was too large. Turns out that you have to keep the file size below 1Mb. But, the file size and the pixel count are two different things.

I did some testing and found some things on my camera that helped my picture quality greatly. There are two variables on my camera that make a difference - "image size" and "quality". For the following tests I set the quality to Fine. Then I set the image size to VGA, meaning 640x480, and got this pic, which is just ok when you say Resize: None, meaning you put it up at original size, which was 640 pixels in this case:

DSCN2525.jpg.dba0e326a59799504b6ebc8fb1a8afcc.jpg

However, if you make it 750 pixels wide it starts getting blurry:

And, if you tell it to make it 100% of the possible width of the screen it gets really blurry on a big screen:

But, by placing the camera in 1600 x 1200 pixel mode I got the following pic, and it is only 801Kb.

DSCN2533.thumb.jpg.3e43990b3798ed60dd0df1ad124f31d9.jpg

So, if you work with your camera it looks like you can get it set to give you an image that looks good on a computer screen w/o being too large to upload here. You'll need to set your pixel count to something that gives you a file size of less than 1Mb, but if you want a quality pic you'll want to get as close as is possible to the 1Mb limit.

Gary, I used Adobe Photoshop 6 (part of my Adobe Creative Suite 6) to resize, compress or whatever I need. One of the Chrysler forums I am on limits size to 800 X 600 pixels, for FTE, I try to keep the size under 1.0 Gb, and am using the same for your site as it seems to work well here too.

Gary, I used Adobe Photoshop 6 (part of my Adobe Creative Suite 6) to resize, compress or whatever I need. One of the Chrysler forums I am on limits size to 800 X 600 pixels, for FTE, I try to keep the size under 1.0 Gb, and am using the same for your site as it seems to work well here too.

That will work, Bill. But I would rather take the pic in a way that I don't have to edit it. So that's why I played with the camera to find a setting that just fits.

That will work, Bill. But I would rather take the pic in a way that I don't have to edit it. So that's why I played with the camera to find a setting that just fits.

Since several sites I post on have different picture requirements, I find it easier to use Photoshop to arrive at what I need.

Since several sites I post on have different picture requirements, I find it easier to use Photoshop to arrive at what I need.

From a Linux sysadmin standpoint, I'm used to command line interfaces & tools, nothing more unless I'm dealing with Windows or some third-party product.

I've used ImageMagick for this image-resize job and modify directories full of images at a time, all at once.

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-tools.php

Does Weebly give us Shell access, Gary? I'm just investigating is all....

From a Linux sysadmin standpoint, I'm used to command line interfaces & tools, nothing more unless I'm dealing with Windows or some third-party product.

I've used ImageMagick for this image-resize job and modify directories full of images at a time, all at once.

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-tools.php

Does Weebly give us Shell access, Gary? I'm just investigating is all....

Bill - Whatever works. I'm really only posting here at this point, so figuring out how to make the camera give me what I need is helpful as I can set it and forget it.

Chris - Weebly is where the web site is hosted. We basically don't have access to the HTML and CSS that makes it tick, although there are a few limited things that can be done.

However, the forum is actually Nabble code being presented on one page of the website on Weebly. So if we are wanting to change anything about the forum that requires modification to Nabble. I do know that there are CSS things that can be done, like the changes the guy helping me had me make to get bulleted lists and indentation.

What I'd like to do is find a way to make width="100%" the default for picture insertions. We could always increase or decrease the size after it throws the code in, but that would make it work for the vast majority of cases and prevent us from having to scroll.

What I'd like to do is find a way to make width="100%" the default for picture insertions. We could always increase or decrease the size after it throws the code in, but that would make it work for the vast majority of cases and prevent us from having to scroll.

We can probably (maybe) do that but we need to be careful, we'll look closely when we get there unless you find something before then.

We can probably (maybe) do that but we need to be careful, we'll look closely when we get there unless you find something before then.

I've gotten a response back from the guru with some coding, but I haven't had time to study it yet.

I've gotten a response back from the guru with some coding, but I haven't had time to study it yet.

Gary,

I can't find the Founders Forum place thingy to click on, did that go away?

About the picture gallery stuff... a problem we have on FTE is guys uploading pictures of scantily-clothed women into that thing, and somebody needs to go enforce the rules.

~~

I hope I didn't come across wrong and piss you off when I told you to slow down and not feed people html code, I was in a playful mood for some reason when I wrote that but re-reading it now I don't see that, so I thought I should say something outright. :)

Gary,

I can't find the Founders Forum place thingy to click on, did that go away?

About the picture gallery stuff... a problem we have on FTE is guys uploading pictures of scantily-clothed women into that thing, and somebody needs to go enforce the rules.

~~

I hope I didn't come across wrong and piss you off when I told you to slow down and not feed people html code, I was in a playful mood for some reason when I wrote that but re-reading it now I don't see that, so I thought I should say something outright. :)

Chris - You didn't come off wrong. (But, we do need to do something about the big pictures since it is really difficult to post a response to them on a mobile device when you cannot see all of what you've typed.)

As for the Founder's Forum, you missed a whole email conversation where we decided to do away with it as it was easily seen but not read by everyone, and therefore looked like we were hiding things. However, subsequently I've been told how to create a folder that only certain people, like admins, can even see much less read and post in. So I probably need to create one of those and show you where it is.

And, on the pictures, the guidelines currently say "which means we don't appreciate obscenities", but I'll add the phrase "or provocative pictures". In addition, the guy that's been guiding me on using Nabble recommended that not only do I set up the admin's-only folder but that I also create a folder for removed/deleted posts. His point was that we may have to show someone why it was removed, and that is far easier when you have it to show.