Bullnose Forums

Dana 44 TTB slip yoke not slipping

Hey, all! While I have it all apart for brakes, I thought I would replace all my bearings and u-joints on the entire front end. I have everything out except the passenger side axle shafts. I thought the procedure was just to slide the slip yoke apart and pull it out, but my slip yoke does not move. Is it just rusted together? I cut the rubber boot off, and there was nothing in there but dust.

Is there something I am missing?

I don't remember how the later ones, like yours, come apart. The earlier ones, like in Dad's truck, required a significant shock to separate them. For that I put it on a cart, chained it to a leg of the lift, and rolled it across the floor. It took a few hits but it came apart.

I don't think yours is that way, but you can see the section from the factory show manual here: Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.

I don't remember how the later ones, like yours, come apart. The earlier ones, like in Dad's truck, required a significant shock to separate them. For that I put it on a cart, chained it to a leg of the lift, and rolled it across the floor. It took a few hits but it came apart.

I don't think yours is that way, but you can see the section from the factory show manual here: Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.

I had mine apart recently as well and like yours, it was stuck. It look quite a few pushes and swift pulls to get it to separate. The grease was like glue!

I had mine apart recently as well and like yours, it was stuck. It look quite a few pushes and swift pulls to get it to separate. The grease was like glue!

Thanks for the help, guys. I ended up having to cut off the crunchy rubber boot, heat it with my torch and do some hammering to get the slip yoke apart. It was really rusted together somehow. I did finally get it apart, but now I have to buy a new boot and the little grease seal.

Thanks for the help, guys. I ended up having to cut off the crunchy rubber boot, heat it with my torch and do some hammering to get the slip yoke apart. It was really rusted together somehow. I did finally get it apart, but now I have to buy a new boot and the little grease seal.

You are better off going back with a new boot anyway. :nabble_smiley_good:

You are better off going back with a new boot anyway. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm having trouble finding the little grease seal that goes on the end of the slip yoke. It's this part, but I can't find it in other stores/sites. And this one is $40 and out of stock. https://torqueking.com/product/40557/qu40557-1980-1997-ford-dana-ifs-front-axle-slip-yoke-seal/

Any suggestions?

I'm having trouble finding the little grease seal that goes on the end of the slip yoke. It's this part, but I can't find it in other stores/sites. And this one is $40 and out of stock. https://torqueking.com/product/40557/qu40557-1980-1997-ford-dana-ifs-front-axle-slip-yoke-seal/

Any suggestions?

Can you tell me the base part number from this drawing? I can find the Ford PN from that and you might be able to find it that way.

illustration_2_orig.thumb.jpg.6a73f6c40f0fc5feb189eadfb2ba65a0.jpg

Can you tell me the base part number from this drawing? I can find the Ford PN from that and you might be able to find it that way.

It's not actually on that sheet. That page only applies to 1980-83. After that, they used a different style. But it would be where the number 3L387 is. But it's not the whole slip yoke, just a seal/dust cap on the end.

It's not actually on that sheet. That page only applies to 1980-83. After that, they used a different style. But it would be where the number 3L387 is. But it's not the whole slip yoke, just a seal/dust cap on the end.

The illustration below is from the little Ranger & Bronco, but might it show that part?

3L387.jpg.3aea46c09012bb16b326526786fb519d.jpg

The illustration below is from the little Ranger & Bronco, but might it show that part?

It's the part where the arrow points and says 3k330, except when I look for that, it's the whole slip yoke assembly again, not just the little just cap seal ring. I looked again on mine, and there is no number or anything stamped into it.