Bullnose Forums

fuel tank straps

I used denim cut from an old pair of Jeans. I masking taped them to the straps so they'd stay put.

My tank is dropped at the moment for some sending unit work... I'll be working on it tomorrow and I'll snag some pics while I'm down there.

I used strips of rubber cut from an old inner tube and glued them in place with contact cement.

I used strips of rubber cut from an old inner tube and glued them in place with contact cement.

I feel like I'm telling an ancient Chinese secret. but ... there just happens to be a guy who once was a roofer and discovered a product that was on the truck which was used for flashing. a 1/16" rubber adhesive membrane with a foil surface. you can find this at lowes or the like on a 6" wide roll and it works like a dream.

I feel like I'm telling an ancient Chinese secret. but ... there just happens to be a guy who once was a roofer and discovered a product that was on the truck which was used for flashing. a 1/16" rubber adhesive membrane with a foil surface. you can find this at lowes or the like on a 6" wide roll and it works like a dream.

Mat, i used the exact same thing, on my 84 when I replaced the tank. I agree works great.

Can use rubber or cloth.

On my '56 I placed reproduction cloth strips as the insulation between the tank and the straps. For my truck I still have the old insulation on the straps but if I ever replaced it, I would get some universal insulation from one of the restoration places such as Dennis-Carpenter, NPD, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, etc.

Can use rubber or cloth.

On my '56 I placed reproduction cloth strips as the insulation between the tank and the straps. For my truck I still have the old insulation on the straps but if I ever replaced it, I would get some universal insulation from one of the restoration places such as Dennis-Carpenter, NPD, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, etc.

I used strips of cargo straps with some of the flashing membrane (I think I used the FlexSeal since I had it already) between the cargo strap and the tank. If in a salty area, I'd be mindful of isolating metal from any absorbent material.

mat - that foil faced flashing comes in handy for tons of stuff and would work great here. Just used it the other day to level a (house) door threshold.