Bullnose Forums

Dealer installed AC parts

tanman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to know who made the AC kit not just the compressor brand. There were/are a number of companies that make them. A good old fashioned parts store, like maybe NAPA may be able to match up the pulley. I would also suggest you get a smooth back belt as that tog cog belt is not helping the bearing in that pulley.

Some of those, you can replace the bearing if it is retained with a snap ring.

First one I've seen with a smooth pulley. Does that really tension the belt? Id think it would be to stop belt bounce on long runs which my Dealer A/C on my 302 has on the long belt run from the York compressor back to the crank.

What compressor is that? Cause I tried looking in the parts and illustration guide and for dealer A/C it was only the Tecumseh/York offered and for a I6 the compressor was mounted on its side vertical.

It doesnt look like a FS-6 which was the compressor used by the factory.

Doesnt even look like the HR-980 compressor.

Tensioner on mine is a V belt pulley that you loosen a bolt on the back side of the mount put a wrench on it and rotate it to tension the belt.

First one I've seen with a smooth pulley. Does that really tension the belt? Id think it would be to stop belt bounce on long runs which my Dealer A/C on my 302 has on the long belt run from the York compressor back to the crank.

What compressor is that? Cause I tried looking in the parts and illustration guide and for dealer A/C it was only the Tecumseh/York offered and for a I6 the compressor was mounted on its side vertical.

It doesnt look like a FS-6 which was the compressor used by the factory.

Doesnt even look like the HR-980 compressor.

Tensioner on mine is a V belt pulley that you loosen a bolt on the back side of the mount put a wrench on it and rotate it to tension the belt.

This is looking less like a dealer install and more like a custom aftermarket job.

The truck has the adjustable tension pulley (factory) on the lower right.

This is looking less like a dealer install and more like a custom aftermarket job.

I think it may be there to stop the bounce. Also, the but is touching the radiator hose connection.

It seems like this pulley is a "make it work" scenario.

Honestly it might be some aftermarket AC system like vintage air/old air products are today. It honestly doesnt look like a dealer unit as below are taken from the parts and illustration guide and for the I6 there are two pages one for 80/ and one for 83/ and both of them have a Tecumseh/York compressor mounted up right and you tension it by loosening the four mounting bolts and sliding the compressor on the slotted mounting plate holes and tightening in place. Its the same way they did it on the Mustangs in 66/67 where you moved the whole compressor to tension the belt.

Dealer_AC_-_I6_-_Page_5.thumb.png.8eab8e07ddd0ead31699e9c3231e0673.png

Dealer_AC_-_I6_-_Page_27.thumb.png.ece4e575a04eacb1aba1f37c4404ff93.png

Honestly it might be some aftermarket AC system like vintage air/old air products are today. It honestly doesnt look like a dealer unit as below are taken from the parts and illustration guide and for the I6 there are two pages one for 80/ and one for 83/ and both of them have a Tecumseh/York compressor mounted up right and you tension it by loosening the four mounting bolts and sliding the compressor on the slotted mounting plate holes and tightening in place. Its the same way they did it on the Mustangs in 66/67 where you moved the whole compressor to tension the belt.

Rusty, thank you for posting the diagrams.

My truck does have this bracket but it does not use the vertical style compressor. I thought this bracket looked very DIY.

ac_bracket.png.9a288a498b3f359bd474cdf3934bdabf.png

I've ordered a 3 inch pulley from Amazon. I think it's actually for a mower. I will need to source a bolt and threaded spacer.

I'll post an update as my saga continues.

Rusty, thank you for posting the diagrams.

My truck does have this bracket but it does not use the vertical style compressor. I thought this bracket looked very DIY.

I've ordered a 3 inch pulley from Amazon. I think it's actually for a mower. I will need to source a bolt and threaded spacer.

I'll post an update as my saga continues.

Its possible its a mix of a Ford Dealer AC and aftermarket AC. Could be Dealer AC and someone got rid of the old york and put a newer compressor in its place. I know I could put a Sanden 605 compressor in place of my York on my truck they sell an adapter plate that bolts to the York mounting points and converts it to the 605 sanden bolt pattern.

Its possible its a mix of a Ford Dealer AC and aftermarket AC. Could be Dealer AC and someone got rid of the old york and put a newer compressor in its place. I know I could put a Sanden 605 compressor in place of my York on my truck they sell an adapter plate that bolts to the York mounting points and converts it to the 605 sanden bolt pattern.

I will look over the drivetrain I removed with the comp still on it in the morning to see if it has anything like that. it's been months since it hit the pallet rack and I just don't remember but it is definitely a dealer air system made by ara.

I will look over the drivetrain I removed with the comp still on it in the morning to see if it has anything like that. it's been months since it hit the pallet rack and I just don't remember but it is definitely a dealer air system made by ara.

She saved the pulley!

I've tried 3 different pulleys and none of them were going to work. I was looking a the engine with a flashlight and spotted the pulley down in the motor mount. This space is like a belly button for the straight six. All kinds of junk in there.

Anyway, in her infinite grace my dearest trucky held on to the pulley. It looks to be a 17mm inner diameter which is common but the outer diameter is 50 mm and is not very common.

Since the pulley runs on the back of the belt, any thoughts on using a more common pulley without side flanges or even using a serpentine pulley?

IMG_9636.jpg.427a92c7a9a3958c355c12241d6b970c.jpg