Bullnose Forums

Engine Advice

MattK

I am not 100% sure about the age of the 351w block. My friend who is giving it to me thinks it was out of a 1991 F150. But it could be from a different donor. He said it was a roller block. My bronco is a 1983 and the 300 is the original engine.

Well make sure, cause the 302 introduced the roller block in 1984/85. The 351W didnt introduce the roller block till 1994/95. Make sure it is a 351W first off cause if it came out of a 91 then it could be a roller just a 302 roller.

If I remember correctly I reused the same rear and front driveshafts when I installed the ZF5 in Dad's truck. The ZF is ~1" longer but the shafts still work.

But the tranny doesn't move when you swap engines. The engine moves. The perches for the 300 are very different and in a different place than those for the 351W. You can see the 300 perches on the Pictures tab on the page at Documentation/Exterior/Frames/Engine Perches. I don't think we have the Windsor ones on there, but they are similar to the 351M/400 perches - similar but different so you need the right perches.

Thanks Gary.

Thanks Gary.

I cannot really recommend based on an apples-to-apples comparison, but I can speak well of the six. my original truck, which I still drive daily, is the 1986 4.9 with a c6. not really the same but I'm running 32x11.5/15 with a 3.08 gear and no overdrive. it's no powerhouse but good luck stopping it. the only thing that I'm cautious about is towing too heavy of a load for the brakes. I have overloaded it a few times back when I was a roofer and drove very easily trying to give ample stopping room, whether the idiots around me had any concept of physics or not.