VCL (Vehicle Certification Label) aka Door jamb sticker or Door Tag

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!

Back to its place!

Interesting thing I came across this evening while searching for a transmission. I was checking car-part.com and a couple options popped up in Quebec, and one ad in particular showed a picture of the certification labels. I didn't think anything of it at first, but later on I thought...why did that F150 have two certification labels?? One is in English, and the other is in French! Interesting. Maybe this is common in Quebec? I have never seen this before. I know Canadian packaging must have both English and French, but certification labels I had no idea!

3460_12891_09_web.jpg.19e4b640938c2fb28ec46d5ec96e1830.jpg

Interesting thing I came across this evening while searching for a transmission. I was checking car-part.com and a couple options popped up in Quebec, and one ad in particular showed a picture of the certification labels. I didn't think anything of it at first, but later on I thought...why did that F150 have two certification labels?? One is in English, and the other is in French! Interesting. Maybe this is common in Quebec? I have never seen this before. I know Canadian packaging must have both English and French, but certification labels I had no idea!

What's even more interesting is that it wasn't built in Canada.

Good question Cory!

I never paid attention to the VCL of my recent vehicles. They come with owner's manual in English and French, and security stickers are bilingual (as for air bags and seat belts, for example).

I'll take a look to my GMC Terrain and my Volt VCL, I'm curious.

Ok, my wife had a party at home, with some university friends who didn't meet for over 30 years.

Was very funny, we're all getting older bodies, but everyone is still the same we were in 1989. What a nice weekend!

So, there was few cars in our driveway, I took a look to their VCL, just for fun.

Toyota Highlander, Landrover, Volt, Terrain, Cadillac CT5, Nissan Rogue, . All the same: Their VCL is bilingual, a single sticker with English and French side by side.

Example:

86001002-BAD2-4B79-9C8A-E1E3AFC16202.thumb.jpeg.7176ca616a68e5e48b9fb0dcfbf6c14e.jpeg

Ok, my wife had a party at home, with some university friends who didn't meet for over 30 years.

Was very funny, we're all getting older bodies, but everyone is still the same we were in 1989. What a nice weekend!

So, there was few cars in our driveway, I took a look to their VCL, just for fun.

Toyota Highlander, Landrover, Volt, Terrain, Cadillac CT5, Nissan Rogue, . All the same: Their VCL is bilingual, a single sticker with English and French side by side.

Example:

Interesting, I have 3 vehicles built in Ontario, Darth, the 1986 F350, a 2009 and 2011 Flex. Here are the labels from the 2011 Flex (odd appearance is due to the location, curved area on the back side of the left rear door opening):

DSCN4547a.thumb.jpg.2eae97b002aadd5695fb45eaecdf0b03.jpg

DSCN4548a.thumb.jpg.c3499aca2f17253ab205c5d60f4b5f4f.jpg

Interesting, I have 3 vehicles built in Ontario, Darth, the 1986 F350, a 2009 and 2011 Flex. Here are the labels from the 2011 Flex (odd appearance is due to the location, curved area on the back side of the left rear door opening):

This is probably a requirement specifically for products intended for the Quebec market.

Even if English and French are the two official languages in Canada (see: Official Languages Act), Quebec added some specific rules about French use in its territory (Bill C-11).

I found this interesting summary on the International Trade Organisation web site:

«The Province of Québec requires that all products sold in the province be labeled in French and that the use of French be given at least equal prominence with other languages on any packages or containers. The Charter of the French Language requires the use of French on product labeling, warranty certificates, product manuals and instructions for use, public signs, and written advertising. The Office Québécois de la langue Française (Québec Office of the French Language) website provides guidance on these requirements. Note that these rules do not apply for non-retail/consumer goods if these goods are coming from outside the province and will be incorporated into a final assembly of a larger product; will be used in a manufacturing process; will undergo a degree of transformation; will undergo any type of repair; and is not available in the retail market in Québec.»

This could explain why, even a vehicle is built in Ontario, the VCL could be different if the car is intended for Quebec market.

And, if the vehicle already has an English only VCL, they just add a French one beside, before shipping it to Quebec's market, like in Cory's example.

• 1 year later...

This is probably a requirement specifically for products intended for the Quebec market.

Even if English and French are the two official languages in Canada (see: Official Languages Act), Quebec added some specific rules about French use in its territory (Bill C-11).

I found this interesting summary on the International Trade Organisation web site:

«The Province of Québec requires that all products sold in the province be labeled in French and that the use of French be given at least equal prominence with other languages on any packages or containers. The Charter of the French Language requires the use of French on product labeling, warranty certificates, product manuals and instructions for use, public signs, and written advertising. The Office Québécois de la langue Française (Québec Office of the French Language) website provides guidance on these requirements. Note that these rules do not apply for non-retail/consumer goods if these goods are coming from outside the province and will be incorporated into a final assembly of a larger product; will be used in a manufacturing process; will undergo a degree of transformation; will undergo any type of repair; and is not available in the retail market in Québec.»

This could explain why, even a vehicle is built in Ontario, the VCL could be different if the car is intended for Quebec market.

And, if the vehicle already has an English only VCL, they just add a French one beside, before shipping it to Quebec's market, like in Cory's example.

I thought I would dig up this old thread, my label is horrible, barely readable, it looks like Marti might no longer be in business? Website is zonked. Any ideas of how to get a new one or good ways to possibly refurbish or clean the old one without removing ink?

edit. ok. I didn't look for door sticker and see the other post that someone just made, but still Marti seems offline.