Bullnose Forums

Trying to get the cruise control to work...1985 F150

So I testing the horn with the new switch WITHOUT the ground pin. Horn works with key on and key off.

I'm going to start the cruise control debugging process outlined in the shop manual to see how far I get. If the switch isn't working, see about either figuring out how to swap the pins or just install the old switch.

-Shannon

I have 2 trucks that the speed control is not working on. So will be following your journey with great interest.

I have 2 trucks that the speed control is not working on. So will be following your journey with great interest.

I am really, really curious about this. I had a broken turn signal switch so I pulled it apart and took some photos. Here is that little ring from the inside of the switch. The turn signal cancel and the ground in question:

7B897029-0BAF-4D13-8554-8F89F1C85231.jpeg.f17cfa9571c944f5f2a45e8a1217eceb.jpeg

Here is the underside of that ring. You can see the backside of the ground sticking out. It’s spring activated and stays in contact with the metal plate in the middle of the switch:

AB1CB151-0635-4288-ADC9-30E808FB7C58.jpeg.0bc4be32c583a08666b1c7635523bd1b.jpeg

Here is the pin after I pulled it out completely:

ED13DB6D-38D8-4930-A149-2A2F28D98C64.jpeg.2666b3309d35bbfdb783f2756f301001.jpeg

I am really, really curious about this. I had a broken turn signal switch so I pulled it apart and took some photos. Here is that little ring from the inside of the switch. The turn signal cancel and the ground in question:

Here is the underside of that ring. You can see the backside of the ground sticking out. It’s spring activated and stays in contact with the metal plate in the middle of the switch:

Here is the pin after I pulled it out completely:

Chad,

Do you think the pin could be pulled out without destroying the switch? I'd like to preserve my old one if possible.

-Shannon

Chad,

Do you think the pin could be pulled out without destroying the switch? I'd like to preserve my old one if possible.

-Shannon

The one I took apart had the pin jammed in so I had to cut underneath it to get a grip on it to pull it out. If it were not jammed in and it looked like yours, I think it would have pulled out with just a jiggle. There isn't really much holding it in there.

The one I took apart had the pin jammed in so I had to cut underneath it to get a grip on it to pull it out. If it were not jammed in and it looked like yours, I think it would have pulled out with just a jiggle. There isn't really much holding it in there.

Thanks Chad,

I was able to yank out the pin and install it in the new switch, it wasn't a very snug fit, but I think the steering wheel will hold it in there just fine.

One thing to consider.. you need the steering column bolted in to test anything. It gets ground from the mounting plate from the dash. Ask me how I know. :nabble_anim_crazy: I about drove myself crazy when I couldn't get the horn working and finally just gave up for the day until I thought about the ground last night.

I THINK I might've fixed the cruise control: I looked at the dump valve and it had been shoved back so that the plunger was always open. I adjusted it up to the brake pedal so that it's completely closed with the brakes not being used. There still might be other issues to deal with but this one is fixed.

I haven't been able to test drive it yet. I have the dash apart waiting for other parts to come in. Hopefully, by the end of next week I'll know. I'll update the thread appropriately.

-Shannon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chad,

I was able to yank out the pin and install it in the new switch, it wasn't a very snug fit, but I think the steering wheel will hold it in there just fine.

One thing to consider.. you need the steering column bolted in to test anything. It gets ground from the mounting plate from the dash. Ask me how I know. :nabble_anim_crazy: I about drove myself crazy when I couldn't get the horn working and finally just gave up for the day until I thought about the ground last night.

I THINK I might've fixed the cruise control: I looked at the dump valve and it had been shoved back so that the plunger was always open. I adjusted it up to the brake pedal so that it's completely closed with the brakes not being used. There still might be other issues to deal with but this one is fixed.

I haven't been able to test drive it yet. I have the dash apart waiting for other parts to come in. Hopefully, by the end of next week I'll know. I'll update the thread appropriately.

-Shannon

Cruise control fixed!!!! Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but life and all.

So just to update and close this thread: The brake pedal dump valve did not fix the cruise.

I was watching a video on how to use the old Rotunda Cruise diagnostic tool (

) and this guy happened to mention that the Ford Cruise control might not work if you have LED brake lights. Well I do. Just for kicks, I popped in a couple of Sylvania Silverstars and BOOM!! I now have cruise control!

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

I'm pretty sure I still have a vacuum leak somewhere. But thats for another thread.

Take care all,

-Shannon

Cruise control fixed!!!! Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but life and all.

So just to update and close this thread: The brake pedal dump valve did not fix the cruise.

I was watching a video on how to use the old Rotunda Cruise diagnostic tool (

) and this guy happened to mention that the Ford Cruise control might not work if you have LED brake lights. Well I do. Just for kicks, I popped in a couple of Sylvania Silverstars and BOOM!! I now have cruise control!

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

I'm pretty sure I still have a vacuum leak somewhere. But thats for another thread.

Take care all,

-Shannon

Thanks for reporting back. :nabble_smiley_good:

Another similar oddity I've seen firsthand is where cruise works but then using your turn signal kills it. Also due to led bulbs.